Pecan pie recipe from rachael4670
Ingredients1 packet shortcrust pastry
1 cup cane sugar (or dark muscovado sugar, turbinado or light brown sugar)
3 cups golden syrup or light corn syrup
2 tbsp dark rum
¼ cup softened unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
2 cups broken pecan nuts
whipped cream (sweetened or vanilla ice cream for serving)
Handy HintLeave out the rum for non alcoholic version!
Method1. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a large circle about 1/8 inch thick. Fit it, without stretching, into a buttered 9-inch pie pan. Trim off the excess dough, leaving a ¾-inch border.
2. Fold under the edge of the dough, pressing along the rim or the pan and forming a high, fluted border.
3. Chill the pie shell until needed. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, golden syrup or light corn syrup or corn syrup, rum, and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
4. Boil for about 1 minute, stirring constantly and scraping back any foam that clings to the sides of the pan.
5. Remove the pan from the heat; set aside to cool to lukewarm, at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F degrees, with a rack in the lower third.
6. In a small bowl, beat the eggs until creamy.
7. Beat the eggs into the cooled syrup; stir in the vanilla, salt, and pecans.
8. Pour the filling into the pie shell. Bake until the filling is set but still slightly wobbly in the centre, about 50 minutes. Cool the pie completely on a wire rack.
9. Serve the pie at room temperature with plenty of slightly sweetened whipped cream, or with vanilla ice cream.