Gransnet forums

Menopause

Perimenopause - Mumsnet & Gransnet share the knowledge

(69 Posts)
GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 10:13:15

Hello

As most of you will know, we've got a sister site, Mumsnet

And we started thinking that GNers actually have have a wealth of experience in areas that some MNers may only just be starting to think about, or experience personally, and we thought it might be interesting (and, maybe even fun to open up a conversation between the members of the two sites on some of these topics.

One issue that leapt out at us (or, perhaps more accurately, sidled up to us gradually as we entered the prime of life) is the perimenopause: a period either side of the transition into the menopause, when women may start to experience symptoms such as irregular periods, sleeplessness, changes in sex drive and vaginal dryness/itching, emotional ups and downs and so on. (Or may not, of course!)

Lots of GNers have probably been there, done that (and got the t-shirt!) so far as the menopause is concerned, so we thought this might be a useful opportunity for MNers to ask some them any questions they may have, and for members of both sites to share some experience, hard-won knowledge and support.

Of course there will be GNers who have yet to experience either, and MNers who know lots about the menopause and perimenopause themselves, so you should all feel free to ask, answer, or both.

There's a parallel thread running on Mumsnet; we'll cross-post some questions and answers between the two, but do get yourself a Mumsnet log-in and pop over to say hello if you fancy it.

So... what advice could you share about the perimenopause, and wished you'd known earlier?

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 12:43:53

MargaretLovedTom on Mumsnet asks:

"I'm coming up to 42 and believe I'm perimenopausal. I've experienced changes in my cycle, usually periods coming more frequently but then my last period was at 29 days confused; periods are often heavier; heart palpitations; finding it harder to shift excess weight and now I've got quite severe pain in the joints of my hands and fingers.

Did anyone else experience the joint pain, and could anyone recommend any supplements to take to help with perimenopausal syptoms?

TIA".

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 13:42:14

DrankSangriaInThePark from Mumsnet asks:

"Like Margot has asked, I'd also like to know if any supplements would be beneficial. Just generally. HRT scares me, and I will do anything before going down that route.

I am 48, haven't had a period since December, and realised a few months ago, that actually, no, it wasn't "a bit hot in here". It was me.

I've always wanted to hit random people on the head with shovels though, so that element of my personality hasn't changed. grin

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 14:01:48

Bigtillymint from Mumsnet asks:

"I have also been perimenopausal for a few years - maybe since I was about 45/44. I am now 49 and have been on HRT for about 3 years. It has helped the mood-swings, night-sweats and flooding enormously.

What I want to know is, how will I know when I am through the menopause if I am still on HRT? I currently have very light periods - will they stop whilst I am still taking it?"

janerowena Fri 23-May-14 14:36:11

I have popped over and deluged them with my experiences - that should put them off aging. They do seem to have a thriving discussion of their own, I think we just need to show that it isn't the end of the world. Yet.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 14:42:09

Thanks so much janerowena it's such a big and daunting time for many women - and often not talked about very often either so this all helps x

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 14:53:15

Weebarra from Mumsnet

"I have started the menopause at 36 due to chemo. Because of my breast cancer I won't be able to take HRT - is there anything else which will calm down my hot flushes and night sweats?"

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 14:54:18

Mercibucket from Mumsnet

"I wish we did a more thorough test for peri menopause as that time of life also often coincides with the start of hypothyroidism
Margot have you had a thyroid test yet?

Symptoms i had for hypothyroidism were

Irregular periods
Changes in periods - heavier/lighter
Hot flushes at night
Terrible pmt
Losing hair/thinning hair
Tiredness (eventually knackeredness)
Joint pain
Muscle pain
Weight gain/changes in weight

I thought it might be perimenopause. Should have gone to GP to confirm. Didnt. Took ages to diagnose."

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 14:55:30

ouryve from Mumsnet

"This thread is well timed, as I'd been considering asking to have my thyroid hormone levels checked. I've been pretty sure I'm perimenopausal for a while, as I'm older than my mum was when her periods stopped completely. Recently, though I've had constant problems with the skin splitting on my hands and I now have keratosis piliaris on my forearms. I'm not losing the hair on my head, but I have lost a lot of the hair off my gorilla arms, where the skin is rough and bumpy. All that makes me suspicious that my thyroid hormone levels might be on the low side".

Valbeasixties Fri 23-May-14 16:29:06

I thought I would be quite prepared for the perimenopause as I did lots of research and visited my GP several times during a 10 year period. However, I never discovered anything which really said it as it really was.
I trialled a variety of 'remedies' including HRT but only a few things really worked for me.
* If only someone had told me that the variety of physical and mental symptoms I experienced and which changed frequently were 'normal' and not to be feared.
* Eating healthily and taking regular exercise were the key to managing my symptoms, including my vacillating mood swings.
* The best supplements I used were agnus castus for hormonal balance and black cohosh for 'hotness'. I was fortunate not to experience full blown hot flushes.
* Try to accept the symptoms even if they seem debilitating or scary and have a mantra - mine was 'This will pass.'
I never discovered a support group along the lines of that which supports post natal illness/depression. That would have been so reassuring.
A few months after my last period -(just before my 50th birthday) - I experienced a very strong feeling that I had indeed reached the menopause and my mind felt clear again.

janerowena Fri 23-May-14 17:09:16

Your direct link to mumsnet doesn't work for me.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 19:08:46

janerowena

Your direct link to mumsnet doesn't work for me.

The link should work now - Mumsnet had to restart their site earlier.

NfkDumpling Fri 23-May-14 19:29:31

Where's this 'ere link then? How?

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 19:51:04

Here's the link to the Mumsnet thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2087420-Come-and-talk-to-us-and-Gransnetters-about-the-perimenopause

NfkDumpling Fri 23-May-14 20:00:10

Thanks

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-May-14 14:21:17

devilsgirl101 would like to ask...

"Hello I'm 34 not had a period for 7 months hot sweats are killing me don't sleep I'm irritable and snappy everyone keeps telling me I'm too young but all the women in my family seems to have entered the change early help advice welcomed I feel like I'm going insane trying to convince my GP."

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-May-14 14:22:30

PurpleAlert from Mumsnet* asks...

"I am 49. Haven't had a period for a year (bliss- they were horrid!)
They started to go a bit wonky about 4 years ago- longer heavy ones then a few lighter ones- longer time between them. Stop start etc.

I take soya flavins and sage leaf which mostly keeps the hot flushes at bay. Night sweats come and go but it's the insomnia and dogged tiredness which is getting me at the moment... and I am soooo achey. I have mild fibro and it seems to have got worse recently.

Libido has vanished and I would like to get it back- any one got any ideas."

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-May-14 14:23:45

KristinaM from Mumsnet asks...

"I'm 52 and still have regular periods too. Sigh

No other signs of anything that I can identify as peri menopausal.

I've always been grumpy so no difference there either

Should I worry ?"

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-May-14 14:26:07

Meglet from Mumsnet asks...

"So thinning body hair might be a sign of the peri-menopause? I've been waxing my fuzzy legs for 25yrs without any of the let up you're meant to get with waxing. Except in the last year, it has got finer and more sparse. I might even buy a skirt!

This coincides with raging mood swings, palpitations, couple of hot flushes, bad sleep, breast pain, spots and aches and pains. The GP gave me a blood test last year (I was 39) and said I was fine. I really don't feel fine sad. I had a hysterectomy 5yrs ago so I have no idea of my cycle any more, my body feels totally out of control and I can't stand it."

Please do pop over if you can help smile flowers

Oldgreymare Sat 24-May-14 18:41:03

KristinaM, don't worry, I thought I was going for the world record as My periods didn't stop until I was 58! My cycle was about 28 days altho it did vary between 21 and 28 days towards the end. They also stopped quite suddenly! (I had 1 'rogue' period about 6 months after the first halt and that was about it!!!!) I was lucky to have few hot flushes and mine were of the 'dry' variety too so I thought little of them.
We're all different!

GadaboutGran Sat 24-May-14 18:42:45

I had a couple of years in my mid 50s when I had very heavy bleeding & really bad migraine. But once over, blessed relief, it's amazing how quickly you forget about them. I had a period 2 years after what I thought had been my last (unprepared at Tate Britain Late, just as my DD told me she was pregnant). Then another period 2 years later aged 60 at Kew Gardens when all tampon machines in the loo weren't working - had to ask a shy young male assistant for help). I could never find out the oldest a woman has had a last period - are dates ever recorded by GPs? I did have a check in case the bleeding was caused by another problem but it wasn't . Really I got off fairly lightly.

Oldgreymare Sat 24-May-14 18:52:57

Meglet find a sympathetic young woman GP.

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-May-14 19:53:13

Thank you for answering these, GadaboutGran and Oldgreymare smile Change is scary when you don't know what's happening, so the Mumsnetters are incredibly grateful for all help. We'll pass these on flowers

JessM Sat 24-May-14 20:19:06

Been over there and contributed my thoughts smile

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-May-14 20:34:39

smile Thank you, Jess cupcake