Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Easter Egg Hunts 2024

(13 Posts)
NanaTuesday Fri 01-Mar-24 08:18:41

What do you do for Easter ? 🐣🐣🐣
Since 2010 , when I only had much younger GC as well as fewer 😘 I have hosted an annual Egg Hunt . With a few exceptions during Covid times ., when we did a zoom hunt 🐣 They started small & have gone large .
For the first few years it followed the normal egg hunt theme with Decorations in garden & house . Come rain or shine . As GC got older it changed a bit , so we have done Hunts combined with Best Easter Hat , Best decorated Cup Cakes & last year my piece de la resistance 🐣
Was a hunt of modern technology, with Q codes , I made my own codes via an app added a clue to them & added to random photos of Easter taken over the last 2 decades . The Q codes were stuck onto the back of the photos , that were hang banner style in the garden & could be randomly picked & clues followed .I must say my joy at the creation of this far out weighed the delight of my GC.

. My thoughts , that it would be right up there with the technology always in their hands . The feedback was that it will go down not as the best but the ‘ best remembered’ I suppose that’s a thing to be pleased about ,
So , April 1st is closer than I’d like now & I have no idea how to up my game for 2024 .
Grandchildren taking part will be 17, 14,13, 11, 10 & GGC aged 17months , she is the whirlwind crazy child & will have the most fun ..
Anyway over to you GN’s what do you do ? Any ideas on how to up my game ?
I’ll crack on with my brainstorming 🐣🐣🐣🐣

lixy Fri 01-Mar-24 08:30:44

Easter egg hunts here too.
Our best one was when we hid two messages (one on red card, the other on blue) cut into jigsaw pieces so there was an element of team work.
Teams consisted of an age range - the older ones could read, the younger could wriggle into some tight low down spaces to retrieve the bits.
Each message was a clue to the 'nest' - both together made it fairly easy to find. Plenty of mini-eggs to munch on the way and to share afterwards.

Whatever you do it will be fun.

lixy Fri 01-Mar-24 08:31:22

Meant to say I admire your technological ambition - that's amazing!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 01-Mar-24 08:46:32

NanaTuesday &lixy, loving these ideas. Bring on the games!

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 01-Mar-24 09:12:52

You could make giant Easter Bingo cards with those little yellow chickies on the ends of pencils and think of Easter sayings for some of the numbers -"two naughty chicks, sixty six". Have fun making an Easter garden on a plate!

NanaTuesday Fri 01-Mar-24 09:26:44

Keepcalmandcavachon,
Oh I love the bingo idea 💡 we have just been to a drag bingo night last week coincidentally, that would work .Not for the 17month old though as she is a true whirlwind & would have to be kept busy while the bingo was going on , maybe I could stagger the bingo . I am doing a big Easter sweet / egg graze board as well . And a Hat 🎩 Decoration with hats from Charity shops .
Thank you for the bingo idea 🐣

NanaTuesday Fri 01-Mar-24 09:29:42

lixy
Yes, great idea , will take some working out with OH on board with that one ,will definitely give it a thought .🐣

BlueBelle Fri 01-Mar-24 09:32:54

As my grandkids are from 18 to 26 Easter eggs are long gone

NanaTuesday Wed 06-Mar-24 23:27:55

BlueBelle
Ah , but Easter is also a time to gather your family around & a good old egg hunt is fun 🤩

NanaTuesday Mon 01-Apr-24 00:42:53

keepcalmandcavachon
An update on my Easter EggHunt dilemma , I gave the bingo a try & it was an access . Although , it was a traditional game not the suggested & as a in an earlier life I used to be a prize bingo caller ., I got quite carried away with it .
The prizes went down a treat as well .these were in addition to the eggs I hasten to add .

keepcalmandcavachon Mon 01-Apr-24 18:20:05

NanaTuesday

keepcalmandcavachon
An update on my Easter EggHunt dilemma , I gave the bingo a try & it was an access . Although , it was a traditional game not the suggested & as a in an earlier life I used to be a prize bingo caller ., I got quite carried away with it .
The prizes went down a treat as well .these were in addition to the eggs I hasten to add .

Oh well done NanaTuesday! I do hope that after all your hard work you might find a 'forgotten' chocolate bunny or egg to enjoygrin

choughdancer Mon 01-Apr-24 21:55:51

What lovely ideas! I'll be doing a late EE hunt for my two granddaughters when they come down next week. One's 11 and one is 2 1/2, so will need to think about how to do it so that it is fun for both.

NanaTuesday Tue 02-Apr-24 09:06:36

choughdancer
We had to adapt this year as my GC are now between 17 -10 they all join in , this year we had the wonderful addition of our very funny ,adorable little GGD aged 16months , who was the star of the+show.
It was all about her & the eggs ( empty as she isn’t allowed sugar ) were all aptly hidden within her eye height lol with. A few crafty ones for the older GC . Although ,it was all about our GGD she was happy to have all their eggs as well .
Have fun with your own hunt 🐣🐣🐣