Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retirement Residences

(7 Posts)
Zighy4 Fri 15-Mar-24 09:09:00

My Mother in Law is in her 90s and wants to move to a retirement residence, somewhere she can have all 3 meals a day prepared for her, there are opportunities for social interaction but she has her own space to withdraw to when needed. Ideally a small apartment with a separate sitting room. She doesn’t want somewhere with a dementia unit and she doesn't want to buy a McCarthy & Stone style flat as she worries about the selling on when she has gone, plus these places don’t tend to serve the 3 meals a day. Ideally she would rent this room not buy it.

In essence she is looking for something akin to a retirement hotel.

Area wise, she is open to anywhere in the south east, Sussex, Surrey, Kent, Essex, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire or Oxfordshire.

I am aware this is a long shot but does anyone have any recommendations?

Siope Fri 15-Mar-24 09:31:11

There are lots, although with meals seems less common. This one, picked at random from a Google search, has the option of meal plan or no meal plan.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/144023027#/?channel=RES_LET

Siope Fri 15-Mar-24 09:43:21

These people have a retirement village (with ‘hotel-type services’) near me that seems lovely. I think meals are on top of the (high) rent and service charge. I go to the gym with some people who live there and they speak highly of it. That one is out of your search area, but they have others further south.

www.inspiredvillages.co.uk/about-us/how-an-inspired-village-works

M0nica Fri 15-Mar-24 14:47:28

Try this site housingcare.org/

Auntieflo Fri 15-Mar-24 19:58:06

I think it all depends on your MIL finances to be fair. We have in our town, a retirement complex and I know that the charges are £2000.00 per week.

TillyTrotter Fri 15-Mar-24 20:10:07

Sanders Senior Living Care Homes have a few luxury residential and respite developments. Expect to pay around £1300 per week to receive 3 meals a day and have your laundry done.

Truffle43 Fri 15-Mar-24 20:46:35

Anchor homes for later in life. From what I have seen they have several different options available. It is probably worth a look. They have dining facilities.