Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Decorating hall ideas

(9 Posts)
Nana56 Sat 16-Mar-24 14:17:47

I have decided to redecorated the hall.
As it'd so expensive to have a professional decorator I have decided to do it myself.
The stairs are painted a grey colour, this os ok and I shall leave it.
The hall is currently a lilac colour which I want to repaint
I was thinking of just white, but this seems a bit boring
I have embroideries and pictures in nkack frames and the door curtain us black and silver.
I woukd welcome your ideas.
Thanks for reading

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 16-Mar-24 14:20:44

Our house is almost completely off-white. We have a lot of pictures and this colour of background shows them off well.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 16-Mar-24 14:29:09

My hall is painted in bright pink! The doors are white. There are several black and white fashion photos on the landing and other photos and a large gilt mirror. The two pairs of curtains (hall and landing) are a mainly pink and red William Morris-esque pattern with flowers and white rabbits. Red lampshades. Very over the top, but we like it!

Skydancer Sat 16-Mar-24 14:35:55

How big is your hallway? White might make it look larger if that's what you'd like to achieve. Also a mirror - or more than one. Depending on the colour scheme in the nearby rooms, the whole thing needs to flow. Having said that, there are some great paint colours out there.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Mar-24 14:44:25

My hall is grey walls with white paintwork

Joseann Sat 16-Mar-24 15:09:14

Could you try an iridescent, slightly metallic finish? It tends to lift a space and lighten it. I don't mean the glittery type paint, but something classy in maybe a shark white type colour.
Ladyleftfieldlover, that sounds lovely, so sumptuous. I love pink décor.

MiniMoon Sat 16-Mar-24 17:43:47

We are going to have our hall and landing painted. Currently it's a shade of creamy yellow. We are thinking about a very pale pink.
I think we've just about settled on creme de la rose by Crown Paints,
that would go beautifully with grey.

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Mar-24 17:47:39

Ours is white with a hint of yellow, the sunshine makes it quite bright.

Nana56 Sat 16-Mar-24 17:52:38

I've been thinking of pale pink, going into lounge shades of grey and kitchen is cream. Might work