Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help! Any ideas for a birthday present for me please?

(15 Posts)
25Avalon Sun 17-Mar-24 09:49:46

It’s my 74th birthday shortly and dd has asked me what I want but I can’t think of anything. The house is already cluttered and I can’t think of anything I need. She usually spends about £50. I read, garden and “paint” (try to anyway) in watercolours but have all the equipment. Any ideas please?

Granny23 Sun 17-Mar-24 10:06:13

I don't paint but my Dad did and I had a boxful of his paintings under my bed. My DD2 who knew which ones I liked best spirited away a set of three flowers watercolours, had them professionally framed and on my birthday there they were on my bedroom wall. First thing I see every morning smile

Esmay Sun 17-Mar-24 10:07:02

A day out with DD doing your watercolours and including a pub lunch .

BlueBelle Sun 17-Mar-24 10:09:30

This really is impossible if you don’t know., how can anyone who doesn’t know you, know .
A day out with a nice lunch, there you go most people like that

Grammaretto Sun 17-Mar-24 10:10:09

Go out somewhere nice together and let her pay?
I was thinking afternoon tea in a country hotel with beautiful grounds.

If you enjoy crafts, learn a new one.
I charge £50 for a 2 hour pottery course for example grin

I can think of lots of fun presents I'd like.
£50 doesn't go far in a garden centre but you have always space for another plant or several
Happy birthday to you.

Theexwife Sun 17-Mar-24 11:06:44

You could say, thank you for the thought but I have everything I need.

Patsy70 Sun 17-Mar-24 11:21:50

An outing together seems the best plan, which is what I’d choose with my children. Brunch, lunch, tea or evening meal? Why not visit a National Trust garden, or another open garden? I realise that theatre tickets are pricey, but you could contribute to the cost. Museums, art galleries? Whatever you decide, enjoy your special day. 💐

Primrose53 Sun 17-Mar-24 11:25:04

What about a day’s painting course? You can do a lot in a day, learn a lot and meet likeminded people usually in lovely surroundings.

25Avalon Sun 17-Mar-24 11:27:11

Thanks all. Dd is a busy working mum with 2 kids and a dh who works long hours so a day out would be difficult. Guess flowers and chocs but I need to lose some weight😂

Jaxjacky Sun 17-Mar-24 11:43:40

£50 would buy a lovely small Acer or Crab Apple tree for your garden, a pretty reminder.

Gin Sun 17-Mar-24 11:53:50

Gardening magazine subscription?

Primrose53 Sun 17-Mar-24 12:06:43

I didn’t mean for your daughter to go with you on a painting course by the way. A day out just for you, doing what you enjoy! Your library or FB would have details.

kittylester Sun 17-Mar-24 12:11:28

A donation to your charity?

Something frivolous like a manicure/pedicure?

Premium bonds? Not sure what the minimum is now to be honest.

midgey Sun 17-Mar-24 12:13:53

A flower subscription? I believe you can have flowers delivered regularly.

seadragon Sun 17-Mar-24 12:35:06

I had my 74th birthday last month. DD sent me a Lucy and Yak token and I got these dungarees: Hat courtesy of my sister....
DD got me a Barbour waxed hat with Lugs for dog walking to go with the Vintage wax riding coat I bought in a charity shop for £30. So excited failed to notice it. was clearly to be worn for horse riding....and had NO HOOD!!