Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Way of securing a strap to pull boot lid shut

(16 Posts)
Mazgg Sun 17-Mar-24 14:43:41

I am somewhat vertically challenged being barely 5ft ( I have shrunk by and inch). I really like the car I have, the only 'fault' being difficulty in reaching the recessed handle when the hatch is open. The solution would seem simply to attach a strap to pull it down until within reach. The lid is lined and there isn't anywhere to fasten a strap to it. I thought that if a small hole could be drilled in the moulded lining and a fixing put through that would open out behind this it would solve the problem. Do any of you practical grans know is such a thing exists?
There are companies who do this for disabled drivers but not in my area and would probably be costly.

Lollin Sun 17-Mar-24 14:49:40

Superglue? A nice strong length of webbing or similar from an outdoor shop superglued in place.

Liz46 Sun 17-Mar-24 14:57:30

Keep a steady stool in the boot?

RosiesMaw Sun 17-Mar-24 15:12:11

Skoda thoughtfully provide a sort of handle which drops down from the boot lid to make it easier for us “vertically challenged” drivers. I am 5’2” and find it really helpful.
I’m sure somebody could drill a hole for you.

JaneJudge Sun 17-Mar-24 15:15:47

if you drilled a hole you could put anything, like rope or ribbon through it and tie into a loop?

JollyJilly Sun 17-Mar-24 15:18:15

I remember my friend had the same problem, she always took her little stool with her and stood on it to close the lid. It wasn't very high about 6 ins but it did the trick. She kept it in the boot of the car.

readsalot Sun 17-Mar-24 15:21:02

I have arthritis and keep an old fashioned umbrella in the boot and use the curved handle to pull it down.

TinSoldier Sun 17-Mar-24 15:25:45

Maybe talk to these people?

www.jeffgosling.co.uk/pdfs/Ancillaries.pdf

JollyJilly Sun 17-Mar-24 16:41:24

That is a great idea, using an umbrella handle.

Lollin Sun 17-Mar-24 21:29:25

readsalot I really like your suggestion and am going to try it out this week. Thanks .

Hetty58 Sun 17-Mar-24 21:36:41

My short friend has a belt threaded through a slot - that I suppose has been drilled out - to reach it. I just about reached the handle on my son's Tesla, then he said 'Why are you doing that? There's a button down here that closes it!'

Mazgg Mon 18-Mar-24 16:13:11

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I have decided to get a half step which is light weight to keep in the boot. it is advertised as suitable for the elderly. This should solve the problem. Again many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Greyduster Mon 18-Mar-24 16:18:21

I have the same problem and use an old walking stick with the finger cut off a rubber glove fitted over the crook so that it doesn’t scratch the paint.

Shelflife Thu 11-Apr-24 16:53:21

I agree a folding stool is the best idea, Dunelm sell them , not very high but will do the job , plastic , sturdy and strong.

rubysong Thu 11-Apr-24 20:18:27

In my last 2 Fiat 500s I had the same problem. D H found somewhere to attach a small strap and a wooden 'toggle' which was easy to grab.

Grannynannywanny Thu 11-Apr-24 22:43:04

I recently borrowed my daughter’s VW camper van for a few days. There is a factory fitted loop handle on the tail gate which would otherwise be out of reach. I’ve used it many times without a problem.

This time it was very windy and the rain lashing down. In my haste to pull down the tail gate and get inside I completely misjudged it. I pulled it down forcefully as the wind was blowing it upwards again. Unfortunately I forgot to move my head out of the way and bounced the tail gate off it. I was seeing stars. 2 weeks later and the lump on the top of my bonce hasn’t fully subsided.