Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Scattering ashes

(33 Posts)
Shinyredcar Sat 24-Sep-16 17:51:50

My DH died earlier this year. Some relatives were not able to attend the funeral, but knowing that he wanted his ashes scattered have said they would like to be there for that. I have finally managed to find a date when everyone can be there. It is now up to about 10 people. The place is open countryside.

Has anyone any experience of doing this? I did my DF's ashes on my own, in his beloved garden. This will be very different.

Do people expect a speech? We will have to walk a couple of miles and the weather could be grim! Any advice/ideas welcome.

janeainsworth Sat 24-Sep-16 18:05:35

I don't think it's up to other people to expect anything, shiny.
The only person who matters is you.
So do it in whichever way feels right to you and which your DH would have wanted. flowers

M0nica Sat 24-Sep-16 18:35:15

We scattered my uncle's ashes across the grounds of the cricket club he had belonged to for over 50 years. He was a religious man so we just said a short prayer, scattered the ashes and then went and had lunch at one of his favourite pubs.

hildajenniJ Sat 24-Sep-16 18:42:16

We had a get together with a few people to scatter my father's ashes in a pretty place overlooking the town where he spent his entire life. We had a lovely walk there and back and an afternoon tea at my sister's house. It was all anyone really needed. Of course, we had a good catch up chat too.

Luckygirl Sat 24-Sep-16 18:45:26

I think that there is no protocol for this and the important thing is that you do whatever you wish and whatever you feel he might have wanted.

When we scattered both my parents' ashes on Dartmoor we just said goodbye.

On a little practical note - and this is not meant to be frivolous - you need to take note of the wind direction. Dartmoor was in the grip of a gale on both occasions and the ashes did blow around a bit.

I am sorry for your loss and hope that you all are able to say your goodbyes in your own way when the ashes are scattered. flowers

Judthepud2 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:55:12

I have had a couple of experiences of this. DFIL loved the Mourne Mountains and spent a lot of time as a young man youth hosteling and rented a cottage there for the years when his children were young.

When he died, the family got together and scattered his ashes in the river near to this cottage. It was lovely. Everyone did and said what they felt was appropriate. Some of us gathered wild flowers and scattered them into the water with the ashes. BIL read a favourite poem. A few tears were shed. It all just seemed right. DFIL had become part of the place he loved. I still think of him every time we pass the place.

Wobblybits Sat 24-Sep-16 21:03:24

MY on;y experience of scattering ashes was my MIL. I learnt one thing, don't stand down wind, a good bit of her ended up on my trousers and shoes, I'm sure that would have amused her.

Granny23 Sat 24-Sep-16 23:04:07

Wobblybits exact same thing happened to me when scattering my DF's ashes. Followed by a giant, friendly wet dog who appeared to join in the fun and get covered in ash too. My sister and I beat a hasty retreat, without saying the words we had planned, as the dog's owner headed over to see what had caused the kerfuffle. As we turned for home, a 2 mile walk back to sister's house, the heavens opened. If this was a 'sign' then I think my dear dad was NOT amused. I found the whole thing very upsetting.

Another thing to remember, is that a casket of ashes is VERY heavy, worth bearing in mind if planning a climb to a mountain top or similar.

Marmight Sun 25-Sep-16 05:17:48

Just do what you feel is right for you and what you think he would have liked. No need for formalities. My 3 daughters and I scattered some of DH's ashes into the sea at our beach along with red roses. It was just informal; we laughed, cried, talked about him and then went back to the house for a drink! DD2 and I did the same with some more of his ashes on his favourite beach in Sydney Harbour where he had sailed. So he is on both sides of the world which is comforting. He is also under a rose bush in my garden and the rest is hidden in the wine 'cellar' ( a favourite place of his!) and will be mixed with my ashes when the time comes.

Wobblybits Sun 25-Sep-16 10:49:03

My incident didn't upset me, my MIL was a joker all her life, I'm sure it was deliberate.

annsixty Sun 25-Sep-16 11:03:38

It is worth finding out just what is allowed and what is not in disposing of ashes. We had a leaflet from the funeral director. I am sure that "water courses" are not allowed.
Having said that we acted illegally with my mother's ashes.
My father had been dead over 50 years when my mother died and his mother had been buried in his grave. When my last remaining aunt died, weeks before my mother, my cousin buried her ashes I the same grave, she only told me this the night before my M's funeral, so we decided to do the same. I believe this should be registered with the " authorities". We acted illegally.?

henetha Sun 25-Sep-16 11:13:13

My ex husband loved the sea, so we went out in our son's boat and scattered the ashes near where he used to go fishing. It was just myself and our sons. We had no ceremony, just a chat about him and the things he loved.
When a close friend died we scattered her ashes in a local park where she loved to walk and sit. Then we went to the pub and drank a toast to her.
There are no rules about this. Whatever you decide is just fine. But I personally don't think too many people should be involved. Only the very nearest and dearest.
It's not a funeral. Each to his own though.

Jayh Sun 25-Sep-16 11:18:08

I have experience of this concerning scattering the ashes of my OH's two uncles. Their children and nephews and nieces revisited the coastal town where the families had spent summer holidays and scattered the ashes on the beach. Then there was a good lunch with lots of memories to share. It was simple but everyone felt it was appropriate.

harrigran Sun 25-Sep-16 12:03:39

My cousin's ashes were scattered under a tree in the countryside, a favourite walking place of my cousin.

Wobblybits Sun 25-Sep-16 12:21:53

This is where I want my ashes scattered. (towards end of video)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3DELFIcy74

shysal Sun 25-Sep-16 12:35:04

My brother scattered my father's ashes from a cliff top. Unfortunately the wind blew them into someone's picnic. As Wobblybits said about his MIL, my Dad would have been highly amused!

Nelliemoser Sun 25-Sep-16 13:31:49

My sister and I scattered our parents ashes in a quarry wood near where I and our parents had spent their last years.
This was in about January or February. It had been raining and the ashes were sticking to my wellie boots.
The ground where we scattered them has been slowly taken over by snow drops and blubells. It is highly unlikely it would be built on.

Given what few remains are left after a cremation I cannot see what damage could be caused in a water course.

Granarchist Sun 25-Sep-16 13:54:31

My mil is in my utility room at the moment waiting to go to Ibiza (she has been in there for a few yrs now!) - the casket is very heavy. Local funeral directors have sweetly said they will transfer her to a light plastic container so she wont weight so much in my luggage. Be aware that these caskets are sealed and difficult to open - so if you are scattering ashes make sure you can open the casket!

Luckygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 14:43:45

When we scattered my Mum's ashes on Dartmoor my Dad insisted that we go into the pub and have some lunch first. Some of you may know this pub - in the middle of nowhere with nothing around except for moor and no mains electricity - and a howling gale. By that time my brother had taken the ashes out of the car and turned to take them back - but Dad grabbed the bag and said "No, bring her." So we had the slightly bizarre experience of having the urn of ashes on the floor between us as lunch was eaten. There was to be honest something slightly comic about it.

This is a poem I wrote about it:

Goodbye

The undertaker arrives with my mother’s ashes
And places them on the floor by the table.
My mother, who read poetry,
Is in a brown plastic urn
In a pink cardboard carrier bag
With a kitsch greetings card flower.
We drive in convoy to the top of the moor.
Dad grabs the bag from the car, says
Let’s eat first
As he marches into the pub.
Sits between our knees
As the Guinness slops
And the chips arrive.
Outside, we pour the ashes
Into the driving rain
As the black bikers speed through the fog.
Sinks into the wet sheep shit.
We scrape our shoes and stand huddled at the roadside.
Her dregs cling to the plastic.
Take it says Dad, thrusting the bag towards my brother
Who bundles it into the boot and drives away.
Half way home, they stop at a motorway service station
For coffee and a pee.
He dumps the bag in a waste bin.
Sits amongst the empty cans and chewing gum wrappers.
A man walks by and drops in his cigarette end.
Goodbye Mum.

hildajenniJ Sun 25-Sep-16 14:52:53

annsixty, water courses are fine for scattering ashes. I found out about it because it's how I want my remains disposed of.I like the Hindu tradition of immersing the ashes in the Ganges. here's a link about rivers lakes and canals

annsixty Sun 25-Sep-16 15:05:20

Thank you hilda I am not likely to want to but pleased I could if I did.

Judthepud2 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:06:24

annsixty the river where we scattered Dfil's ashes is a fast flowing mountain stream and drops down into the sea about 200 yards from where we were. It is nowhere near an abstraction site, or indeed other people. The only addition we added were some wild flowers which were collected at the site so I think all of DoE conditions were met.

Pandi Sun 25-Sep-16 17:03:56

I have had private and open place scattering for my lovely DH. The scattering in the public place was harder than I imagined owing to the fact I didn't want people to wonder what we were doing....but that was a me thing. The private, was just the two us and only we know. Either way I know he would be happy to know where his remains are and that I was happy too xx

Pandi Sun 25-Sep-16 17:17:36

Oh and I should mention we were given very good advice by funeral director although we were not able to confirm to some!

Willow500 Mon 26-Sep-16 12:54:39

As everyone has said this is a very personal thing and totally up to you. I did some transcriptions once from interviews an undertaker had done with deceased's families about scattering ashes which was fascinating. So many different places and ideas. My mother had always wanted her ashes to be placed in her mother's grave up north where her sister's were also placed. As my dad passed away 2 years before her and hadn't expressed any wishes we kept him with the funeral director until the time came and had both caskets interred in the grave. We had to have permission from the cemetery to do this as it has to be recorded in the register. We had a very nice family ceremony which all my cousins came to and then we went to the pub for lunch. My in-laws both had some ashes scattered in a favourite park they loved to walk in and the rest are in the local cemetery. I think whatever you decide it's a time to reflect on memories of your DH with people who knew and loved him.