Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Girl You left Behind by Jojo Moyes - live webchat 11 December 1-2pm

(119 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Nov-12 11:25:33

Jojo will be joining us for a live webchat to discuss our book club choice, The Girl You Left Behind. Add your question here.

jO5 Thu 08-Nov-12 14:08:25

What kind of a name is Jojo?!

Jodi Thu 08-Nov-12 14:22:28

Sez you jo5 wash your mouth out!!My grandchildren call me Jojo. You have a wee problem with that??? grin

jO5 Thu 08-Nov-12 14:28:54

No, not at all. But on the front of a book? grin

GrandmaH Sat 10-Nov-12 13:37:43

My copy of the book has just arrived- thank you so much! I have really enjoyed all her other books & am really looking to this one.
Jojo came to give a talk at our local library recently & she is great fun.

glitabo Sat 10-Nov-12 14:30:22

Thank you my book arrived this morning. It was a great surprise.
I enjoyed "Me Before You" so I have high hopes for this one.

Marelli Sat 10-Nov-12 15:33:56

My book arrived this morning, too. Lovely surprise - thank you!

Mishap Sat 10-Nov-12 16:56:02

Just received the book - lots of thanks. Can't wait to read it, but I am in the middle of a whodunit and will get totally confused if I don't finish that first!

jeni Sat 10-Nov-12 17:04:45

And me!

Maniac Sat 10-Nov-12 18:32:06

Surprised and delighted to get my copy this morning -so quickly!
Thank you!
I do love handling a new book in spite of Kindle

numberplease Sat 10-Nov-12 22:29:44

My copy arrived this morning, thank you.

glassortwo Sat 10-Nov-12 22:52:50

Oh my book arrived today and when I got back tonight I opened the package to find the book, I am so looking forward to reading it after reading Last letter from my lover, my most enjoyed book of 2012 , thank you smile

numberplease Sun 11-Nov-12 16:52:21

Given the subject, it`s very fitting that I`ve begun it today. It looks as if it`s going to be very good.

joannapiano Mon 12-Nov-12 12:15:56

Thank you for my copy.I loved 'You Before Me.' Having read the first 20 pages I was very glad to see a book taking the somewhat rare perspective of the besieged French population under German occupation. The book arrived just before Nov 11th and the many TV programmes last weekend concentrated on the battles and soldiers tragic sories. The ordinary French people were seldom mentioned.

joannapiano Mon 12-Nov-12 13:32:08

Sorry! Of course I meant "soldiers' tragic stories' "! Am typing with one hand and holding book in the other. It's lovely to have a new book-resisting getting a Kindle.

numberplease Wed 14-Nov-12 17:29:11

I finished the book last night, and LOVED it! I know that I usually read thrillers, but it`s nice to have a complete change now and then, and this one was the ideal complete change. A lovely story, sad, but heartwarming as well.

inishowen Fri 16-Nov-12 13:24:29

I am half way through the book and absolutely LOVE IT! I am already a big fan of JoJo Moyles, so getting her new book was a bonus. I will be passing it on to my daughter in law, who is pregnant, and has broken her ankle. It will keep her sitting down for a long time as she will be gripped by the story.

Nanadog Fri 16-Nov-12 14:26:24

I can't say I 'enjoyed' the book while actually reading some parts of it. It was so powerful and drew me in so deeply that I became quite distressed at the way certain characters were treated by others. It needed that ending.

grandmac Fri 16-Nov-12 15:21:27

Book arrived while I was away. Can't wait to start reading tonight. Thank you!

Golightly Fri 16-Nov-12 17:25:43

I bought the book and have just finished reading it this morning. It was an enjoyable, engrossing read; thank you. I felt there were parallels between the two time frames of the story line; was this deliberate? The detail and descriptions were brilliant as was the pace of the story line. Quite distressing in part especially as I have just been on my first visit to Ypres this year and the detail of the first world war was very clear.

grannyactivist Mon 19-Nov-12 10:46:44

Received the book with thanks and read the whole thing in one go yesterday. What an intriguing storyline - I can usually tell what's coming in a story, but the 'twist', revealed towards the end, completely caught me out. I enjoyed 'Me Before You' (the first book I bought for my Kindle), so I looked forward to reading 'The Girl....' and wasn't disappointed. smile

weather Mon 19-Nov-12 15:22:38

Many thanks for the book which I have just finished reading...I will not say I enjoyed it as that wouldn't be the right word for the sadness that was portrayed but it was so interesting it held my attention throughout.....and I would certainly recommend it to others and pass it on.
I found the first part easy to understand...but the second part took some time to piece together all the characters.
Do you think it might make a tv film? it deserves too
Many many thanks for all the hard work you must have put in to write this.

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 10:00:52

Have only just started reading it, many thanks for sending it!

Marelli Wed 21-Nov-12 15:09:53

I've just started my copy as well, and really enjoying it. Can anyone tell me if this is a sequel to a previous book of hers (Me Before You)?

gracesmum Wed 21-Nov-12 22:43:32

No connection at all, Marelli