Gransnet forums

Books/book club

November book club

(162 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Nov-14 15:22:16

Our pick this month is Hello From the Gillespies (fine out more here and author Monica McInerney will be answering your comments and questions towards the end of the month.

So if you received a copy of the book don't forget to post on the thread - and if you didn't do join in anyway!

Teetime Fri 07-Nov-14 08:50:31

How do I go about joining the Book Club please?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 18:34:52

You don't have to join it Teetime. Just watch out for HQ saying what the next book will be and then try for a free one. Otherwise you have to buy one if you want to join in the discussion. They put a link up to Amazon.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 18:36:27

This is the book for this month

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 18:38:23

I have just bought the kindle version. I won't have to comment as it is not a freebie.

And I won't get round to reading it for about six months. Got a queue of books.

Teetime Sat 08-Nov-14 13:56:42

OK thank you.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Nov-14 20:40:52

Have the free copies of Hello from the Gillespies been sent out yet? Just asking as I like the look of this one and was waiting to see if I was lucky enough to have won a free copy before buying it. The discussion would usually have started before now. hmm

merlotgran Sun 09-Nov-14 17:15:28

Same here. I haven't seen anyone mention that they've received their copy.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 10-Nov-14 10:57:02

Oooh I will double check!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Nov-14 14:53:37

Update! Books should arrive in the next day or two. Will let you know about deadline for comments and questions once you have had a chance to dig in

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-Nov-14 18:50:50

Thanks for checking, Cari. I'll hang on for a few days before I buy the book. [fingerscrossedemoticon]

ajanela Thu 13-Nov-14 18:39:09

I have recommended this book for our Book group December book for discussion after reading the preview on Gransnet. I shall look forward to the question and answer session so I can send the link to our members We also all read Invention of Wings and enjoyed very much after I won a copy.

nonnanna Fri 14-Nov-14 13:09:48

Thank You Gransnet (and Chris, my postman) My copy arrived this morning. Will be getting stuck in later today and posting comments/questions later.

gma Sat 15-Nov-14 10:17:30

Lovely surprise this morning when my copy of "hello from the Gillespies" was delivered. I am in the middle of book 5 of the Cazelet series, so Hello from the Gillespies will be next on the list! Many many thanks Gransnet, hope that I enjoy it as much as I did "Miss Carters War"
P.s. It was great to have a reply to my comments from Sheila Hancock!��

Gagagran Sat 15-Nov-14 11:14:11

My lovely postie, Joe has just brought me a copy of the Gillespies - thank you once more GN - love getting the books you arrange for us. Look forward to reading it.

d4dsquared Sat 15-Nov-14 11:27:17

Particularly delighted to receive my copy of 'Hello from the Gillespies' as a) I am never usually successful in raffles, draws, competitions and the like - and this time I have been! b) I had completely forgotten that I'd submitted my name for this. Great start to a Saturday!!

matson Sat 15-Nov-14 12:38:07

Thank you for my copy of Hello from the Gillespies, will start as soon as I have finished The Goldfinch, which is quite a tome !

shysal Sat 15-Nov-14 13:12:55

My copy arrived this morning, I look forward to reading it and joining the discusion. Thank you.

harrigran Sat 15-Nov-14 13:25:50

Thank you for my copy too, delivered this morning. I will start it this week because it is a seasonal topic and I know so many people who send out these annual letters grin

Liz46 Sat 15-Nov-14 15:14:26

Thank you for my copy. I have borrowed a copy of John Bishop's 'How did all this happen?' and am half way through it. I'll have to finish this first so that I can return it. By the way, if you like John Bishop you would certainly enjoy his book. It's a good read.

Looking forward to reading Hello from the Gillespies and thanks again. I'm not used to winning things so I'm delighted.

Wurzelernie Sat 15-Nov-14 16:47:58

My copy has arrived - thank you very much, it looks good and I think I shall enjoy reading it.

Annie29 Sat 15-Nov-14 18:39:35

Thank you for my copy received this morning. Plan to start reading it later this evening.

emmasnan Sat 15-Nov-14 18:56:01

Thank you, I received my copy today. Looking forward to when I start reading it tomorrow.

geri Sat 15-Nov-14 19:39:24

Just received my copy of Hello from the Gillespies this morning, and really looking forward to getting started.
I have several friends who send round robin letters every Christmas, and to be honest, I just skim over them and then bin them. Maybe it would be kinder to say something, or would that offend, hard to know, what do others think?

grandma60 Sat 15-Nov-14 19:57:17

Thank you for my copy of this months book. I wll start it tomorrow. It remnds me of a dear friend (sadly died a few years ago,) who had a round robin every Christmas from her Aunt. We used to meet up for coffee every January and have a giggle over it.