Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Tell us what books you read with your Grandparents to WIN a full set of The Owl and the Pussy-cat picture edition books

(74 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Oct-14 14:45:48

Whoop - we’re giving away ten sets of the treasured children’s bedtime story book, The Owl and the Pussy-cat as well as the follow-up title, The Further Adventures of the Owl and the Pussy-cat (published on 2 October) , which has a companion CD.

The new picture edition of Edward Lear’s classic poem features illustrations by Charlotte Voake while The Further Adventures of The Owl and the Pussy-cat creates a wonderful new story penned by The Gruffalo author, Julie Donaldson.

Entering the competition is simple: just cast your mind back and tell us about the stories you read once upon a time with your grandparents. Whether old literary favourites or less well-known gems, we want to know the books that help generations of families unite. Share your stories on this thread before 10am Monday 20 October. The winners will be chosen by Puffin.

ccat27 Sat 08-Nov-14 10:54:48

My Granny and step-grandfather did not read to me it was more the songs and oral stories we got, which were good and yet both of them read 8-10 library books every week. I chose their books from the library and later became a librarian.

wallers5 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:36:28

My Grandmother was in Germany when the war broke out. She was in love with a German officer but had to leave the country. He was in the navy & she always read poetry to me. The Wreck of the Hesperus, The Ancient Mariner etc. Anything to do with the sea. All rather sad.

suelowe Sun 02-Nov-14 23:16:16

I only remember one grandparent , and I'm not sure she possessed a single book of any sort . But I read almost daily TO my dad , who was blind : mainly Enid Blyton's Famous Five ( what a different life they had from the quiet one of mine in a South Yorkshire pit village ).

janerowena Thu 23-Oct-14 12:03:56

Thank you, I can't wait for them to arrive! I shall read them to my GCs at Christmas. smile

merlotgran Wed 22-Oct-14 18:07:22

What a lovely surprise. I thought my entry would be too late. Looking forward to hearing DGD reading it to her younger cousins this Christmas. smile

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 17:58:03

Wow! Thank you Cari. I'm delighted and will love reading the books with my DGCs smile

Anya Wed 22-Oct-14 17:56:09

Thank you. The GC will love these smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Oct-14 16:01:54

Word in from Puffin - really lovely responses and thank you to everyone who took part. The ten winners they chose (in no particular order!) are

1. rockgran
2. Janerowena
3. pamela JEAN
4. gillybob
5. hildajenniJ
6. Anya
7. compy 99
8. janeainsworth
9. Stoodles
10. merlotgran

I will be in touch shortly to get details so your prizes can be sent out

aggie Wed 22-Oct-14 15:15:41

My earliest memories of being read to were of Gran reading "Oor Wullie " in the Sunday Post , I was a bit insulted because I could read already at 3 . Soon after I was reading the Sunday Paper one Sunday and asked Dad to tell me what the next word was , Mum had a fit and the paper was snatched from my hands , seems I was reading about a famous rape case .....in a newspaper now defunct , it was back to Oor Wullie from then . My lot loved their Dad reading the Rupert Annuals and Santa always came with the new one .They loved Enid Blyton and dug out all my old ones . Th Narnia books were a hit with my children but the grandchildren don't seem to like them . I read to the wee ones ... when they slow down enough to catch them . No 2 GS , 7 , can't stop at the 10 pages dictated by his teacher , we have to go to the end of the book smile

nonnasusie Wed 22-Oct-14 15:11:54

I never knew either of my grandmothers as they both died before I was born. My maternal granddad came to live with us when I was about 10 and used to tell me stories about "little mouse". I can't remember him reading to me though! My paternal granddad lived in Manchester when we lived in the midlands which in those days was a long slow journey away so I didn't see much of him!!

glammanana Wed 22-Oct-14 15:03:16

My grandmother never told us stories individually as such but would read to us whilst we where visiting her on Saturday afternoons after my twin brother and I had been down the garden to pick peas and broadbeans and as we shod them she would enthral us with tales from Little Women and to keep my brother involved she read from Black beauty & The Famous Five Stories,my DD and DGDs both love Little Women to this day and have grown up with the stories.

merlotgran Wed 22-Oct-14 14:29:27

My grandparents didn't read to me but my maternal grandmother always made sure there were books available for me to read whenever we stayed with them - which was usually between RAF postings.

I remember going shopping with her one day and peering in the bookshop window at the latest Enid Blyton. Nan thought I was looking at Wind in the Willows and rushed me inside to buy it. It was 5/- and she didn't have enough in her purse. I could tell she was upset as we were going away the next day but I was secretly relieved as I wanted the Enid Blyton.

Three months later and two months late for my birthday, a slightly battered parcel arrived at our BFPO address. It was Wind in the Willows, with a lovely letter from Nan saying she was longing to hear if I liked it.

I loved it and I still have it.

Mumcooper59 Wed 22-Oct-14 13:37:30

Sadly I too do not remember being read to by my grandparents or parents. However I always got given books by the Sunday school and at Christmas and birthdays .
My grandparents did get the readers digest which we were encouraged to read and in the people's friend magazine there was a story about some birds which I read.
My favourites as a child were the ladybird books which were affordable with any birthday money. I remain an avid reader and love reading to my grandchildren and did read to my children as part of the bedtime routine and wind down.
My eldest grandaughter has just started school so I am enjoying reading to her and am enjoying new writers with her. Despite tv. and other gadgets books are still a source of pleasure to me. I have a kindle as well as liking real books so hopefully the book shops will continue to thrive.

Soutra Sun 19-Oct-14 23:11:54

DH was much luckier than me I think as his Grandfather had been in India in the first part of the 20th century so as well as reading the Jungle Book, and Just So stories to his grandchildren he would also regale them with his own "tales from the Raj" about his own exploits and adventures. DH's younger sister then used to "recycle" Grandpop's stories when she had to write a story at school and was regularly told off for "far fetched" and improbable tales and blamed for having an over active imagination!!

stoodles Sat 18-Oct-14 15:53:47

My Grandad was blind, but still told all the traditional children's stories from memory. When I acme to read The Wind in The Willows, all the best stories were missing

Susangilley Sat 18-Oct-14 13:44:02

My father was the one who read to me and I can still remember sitting on his lap in front of an open fire and reading The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens!!

Lydia30 Fri 17-Oct-14 19:10:18

The same as many people here I don't actually remember my grandparents reading to me.

SHORTMAN Fri 17-Oct-14 17:02:04

Both my grannies were dead before I was born which makes me realize how lucky I am to have the time to share my love of reading with my grand daughter

Holly42 Fri 17-Oct-14 10:34:07

Sadly one of my grandmother's died before I was born and my other grandmother was elderly when I was born so I never experienced the grandchild/ grandparent bond that my children have nor the special bond I now have with my darling grand-daughter, She loves books and I gave her two new books yesterday

Leah50 Fri 17-Oct-14 09:38:35

The only book my Gran & I read avidly was a World Atlas. She instilled in me a love of travel & curiosity about other countries & cultures....although she'd never left South East England in her life.

allsorts4444 Thu 16-Oct-14 20:29:51

I don't ever remember being read bedtime stories when I was little. I remember going to stay overnight at my friends house and enjoying her relatives read use bedtime stories smile

TerriBull Thu 16-Oct-14 19:56:03

I don't ever remember my grandparents reading to me, Did grandparents do that 50 or so years ago? I don't think they would have considered it in their remit. They came to tea or we went to their house for tea. I don't remember them babysitting us at all. Perhaps once or twice when parents went off to a wedding and we weren't invited.

My maternal grandparents moved from Kent to the Sussex seaside when I was about 5 and we would stay with them in the school holidays. They provided childrens' books in the bedroom where we slept for us to read when we woke up and I remember doing that. I don't remember getting up and wandering around until our parents came in and told us it was time to get dressed. Different days!

I read to my granddaughter quite a lot because her mother can't be arsed to, she thinks a video before bed is a good substitute, I don't. We always read to our children sitting on their beds it's a good bonding experience and it invariably made them heavy eyed and it somehow just sent them off to sleep really well. We rarely had them coming down stairs once they'd gone off that was it.

dawnlea Thu 16-Oct-14 18:51:43

Grandma never read to me and I do not remember having been read to at home either. Despite this I developed a love of books which was certainly fuelled by the books Grandma took home from jumble sales and passed on to me. This was during the mid fifties onwards and included wonderful Worzel Gummidge,Day of the Triffids and some books which I now realise were totally unsuitable for a child of my age!
I am so pleased to have been able to read to my grandchildren,and when they come for an overnight stay the one book or story always becomes several.

nipsmum Thu 16-Oct-14 18:47:58

I'm Sorry and sad.
I didn't have Grandparents at all to read to me.
My maternal grandmother died when my Mum was 2 weeks old and her dad died when my mum was 15.
My paternal grandfather died when my oldest sister was a few months old and my fathers mum died when my second sister was small so none of them ever saw me.

I was born in 1941 and books were few and far between.
I was never encouraged to read at home and only became an avid reader when I got married. Both my daughters and all 4 grandchildren love books and I read to them several times a week and get great pleasure from it
The one book I have from my Mum was a school prize she got for perfect attendance and is about wild flowers.

granh1 Thu 16-Oct-14 18:20:07

I never read any books with my grandparents (only two). My mother read Romany books to us, encouraging us to appreciate nature. I always read to my children, and now my grandchildren. How times change!