Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Win Puffin classics!

(70 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Apr-15 15:32:12

The Puffin Classics are back, with a bold new look and brand-new covers for all 20 classic tales (which are: The Call of the Wild, Tom Sawyer, The Wizard of Oz, King Arthur, The Jungle Book, Black Beauty, Huckleberry Finn, Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, The Odyssey, A Little Princess, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, The Wind in the Willows, Treasure Island, Heidi, Peter Pan, Little Women, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.)

We'd love to know who your Puffin heroes are from the above tales - and why. Ten posters, selected at random, will each win a new copy of their Puffin Classic hero's tale.

We're also giving away ten books (plus posters and bookmarks) to one person who completes our survey - again drawn at random. All you have to do to enter is click HERE and answer (honestly!) which of the books you have read, not read...or pretended that you've read.

Both competitions are sponsored by Puffin Books and close at midday on Tuesday 5 May.

trisher Wed 22-Apr-15 15:45:32

Oh it was always "Through the Looking Glass" much preferred it to adventures in Wonderland. First there was a kitten, secondly I knew there was something odd about mirrors, my grandmother had one with a flaw in it that made your face go funny, so it was easy to imagine another world. And the characters, I was always in love with the White Knight (and some of the men I got involved with later were as useless as he was!) and then there was the White Queen and the jam- "Jam today and jam yesterday but never jam today!" Trying to think impossible things before breakfast. There was a real logic to the Looking Glass world as well, it seemed perfectly feasible that you would only get somewhere by walking away from it! I was a contrary child! I need a new copy of TTLG the cover has fallen off mine and pages are escaping. I still love to read it.

Faraway43 Wed 22-Apr-15 15:46:31

Heidi was the first grown up book I read right through and I loved it. Now in my 70s I can still remember it.

Woolliegran Wed 22-Apr-15 19:34:16

Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden. Such an interesting character, and she had such a sad time before the novel starts. I wonder how I'd have coped in her situation, parents dead and not a friend in the world at the start.

Lorelei Thu 23-Apr-15 00:47:29

I enjoyed Heidi's spirit, character and sense of friendship and adventure, I loved 'The Wizard of Oz' and at each reading different aspects of different characters would appeal to me; I also loved the other messages in the book, like loyalty to friends, facing your fears, not taking everything at face value but really thinking about things to reach your own conclusions, make sensible decisions etc. Come to think of it I enjoyed most of these 20 Puffin Classics and loads of others too! I was a total bookworm as a kid and still read as much as I can.

Cindy Thu 23-Apr-15 19:26:06

I must have read about half of them, but my all time favourite is definitely 'Little Women' which I read many times as a child. Jo was my favourite of the sisters, because she was such a tomboy & growing up with three brothers myself, I could identify with her.

Hameringham Thu 23-Apr-15 19:28:44

Peter Pan - I also do not want to grow up!!

mrsredboots Thu 23-Apr-15 20:48:25

How can I possibly decide? I loved all of them. Anne of Green Gables is always a delight - the way Anne grows from a sad, unloved child to a girl on the brink of womanhood and new adventures - and the last book in the series, Rilla of Ingleside, is what I read when I really want a good cry!

Heidi is also wonderful; the way a child's unconditional love transforms an old man's heart....

The Secret Garden also makes me cry, especially the last chapter. I don't think A Little Princess is quite as good, but I still re-read it frequently.

As for the Jungle Book, Kipling is where I go when I have nothing to read! The others - not so much! I've read them all, of course, some of them multiple times, but I'd not class them among my favourites.

imacmum Thu 23-Apr-15 21:16:33

Never really got over Jo not marrying Laurie in Little Women but did love the book and was distraught when Beth died, imagining that I too had all the same symptoms and would be next (well I was only 10)!

Purpledaffodil Thu 23-Apr-15 21:19:07

I read a lot of these as a child, but my favourites were Little Women and Heidi and also the Secret Garden. I read these as Regent Classics, which I used to get for Christmas and birthday presents. Recently I reread Heidi in another edition and was amazed to discover how much tract type material was in the full edition. Still loved the story though.

bumblebee Thu 23-Apr-15 22:27:34

Out of the titles listed, it was probably Axel, the nephew of German professor Otto Lidenbrock in Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

What adventures they had - plunging into a volcano, encountering prehistoric animals, trying to survive one hazard after another. Absolutely classic science fiction!!

smile

GrannyGlyn Thu 23-Apr-15 22:45:39

I read a lot of these but the ones that left a lasting impression were Heidi, Black Beauty and Little Women. I think the sadness of the stories was quite unsettling to my young self but the main characters win through in the end despite the adversity.
I think Little Women was the first book that made me cry. The strong and spirited Jo my favourite character.

dartmoordogsbody Thu 23-Apr-15 23:25:45

How hard is this! I loved Heidi, and Jo March was definitely a hero of mine. King Arthur has been a thread through my life, and the Wind in the Willows was re-read many times, though not providing heroes. There are so many books here that I read over and again, all leaving their own trails in my thinking. But the ones that stick most are Lewis Carrol's books, and the feisty Alice who questions and challenges everything, however weird and alarming, is my hero. The older I get, the more I feel the world is becoming like what she found down the rabbit hole. I hope I can meet it with her open curiosity and not accept being bullied or intimidated by anyone, whoever they may be. I am frequently to be heard taking on varied opposition, fortified by the knowledge that as Alice found, they are nothing but a pack of cards! Now that is the power of a good book read in childhood.

futuregran1 Thu 23-Apr-15 23:32:35

One of my all thime favourites was Heidi. l lived in India at the time and Heidi introduced me to a word that was so different to mine. Reading Heidi heped me to learn to accept that nothing in life was easy, but I had people around me who loved me and that was the most important thing.

celialillian Fri 24-Apr-15 08:22:33

My favourite penguin book of all time is THE SECRET GARDEN I just vanish into this book even now....I first read this book when I was about nine years old, and it made such a beautiful impact on my mind.as a child I was able to become one of the children in the garden. I must have read it over and over again....I have through out my life read it to my children, my excuse to read it again I guess......and now at 75years old I have recently bought a copy from Amazon...I am still transported into that magical story.

yggdrasil Fri 24-Apr-15 08:38:37

My two favourites are The Jungle Books, and Wind in the Willows. I really don't need new updated versions though, I still have the ones I was given as a child. My Wind in the Willows has the Arthur Rackham illustrations, those trees in the Wild Wood are really scary.
I think I was about 9 when I was sent the Jungle Books by an aunt as a birthday present. I remember opening the parcel and saying to my mother "Oh no not another animal book for children". She said, "read it then decide"
smile

shysal Fri 24-Apr-15 08:52:57

My favourite was Heidi, because, never having travelled outside the UK, it was about a life very different from my own.
I also loved Black Beauty and The Secret Garden, enjoying a good cry even back then!

cathisherwood Fri 24-Apr-15 12:05:42

Wendy was a bit of a hero - trying to look after Peter Pan and all those boys!!

mazgoli Fri 24-Apr-15 13:45:17

The Secret Garden was my favourite. I loved the story and the idea that a beautiful, magical garden could be discovered behind a old wooden door in a wall; that no-one (or almost no-one) knew was there. I would love to create such a garden, and I find the story of the children quite uplifting.

hem64 Fri 24-Apr-15 15:07:19

I loved Anne of Green Gables and Wind in the Willows, but I think my favorite was Huckleberry Finn. I think I was a slight tom boy at heart and imagined myself building rafts and floating down rivers and of course missing school!

Elrel Fri 24-Apr-15 15:15:12

Peter Pan, the first book I read, Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass together with Little Women have stayed firm favourites. My hero, however, has to be Black Beauty, survivor of so much ill treatment. It was comparatively recently that I realised why Anna Sewell wrote her only novel. Appalled at the treatment of working horses in Victorian London, she determined to do something to improve their lot. All the cruelty in the book she had seen with her own eyes and the book brought it to the notice of her readership.
The results were that laws regulated the treatment of working horses and water troughs, a few of which still exist, wereprovided for them to drink from in the streets of London and other cities. A wonderful woman and a wonderful, fictional, horse!

GrannyPDilly Fri 24-Apr-15 19:42:36

Also loved Heidi, Little Women and the sequels (Good Wives, Jo's Boys, was there another one?) Lovely to read 'Wind in the Willows' with my grandchildren. Also their sequels (by William Horwood, I think). It still has that charm, Toad is just the same, I love him!

As anyone read 'Counselling for Toads'?

suelowe Sat 25-Apr-15 00:12:37

Mary in Secret Garden : gave me a love of wild , personal places . Who wants a perfect garden , regimented and soulless ?

nannymeryl Sat 25-Apr-15 11:28:33

wind in the willows is so good -the chapter with the little otter and Pan introduced me to a different style of story as a child. the mole is my favourite character; self-deprecating, never putting himself forward but steady and dependable. his flash of rebellion leaving the whitewashing and going off on an adventure is glorious

Miriam Sat 25-Apr-15 15:57:35

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is my favourite, probably because it was my first experience of escapism into another world.

greatmum Sun 26-Apr-15 08:48:21

I too grew up without a mum, from 18 mths ; and after step mum with 4 kids all older than me, I became a tom-boy , due to step brother having to watch out for me,!
Therefore reading was not one of my hobbies , though on reading gransnet comments realised I have read many of these books, Heide being the first one , and recognising the hardship she had and overcame, being similar to my own life,, as it was war time and we lived in the path of German bombers !
The secret garden was my book, it captured my dreams to change my life , within strong family needs,
Black beauty , wonderful story that pulled at my heart strings, for I loved animals and they showed me unquestionable respect.
Wind in the willows - never got to beyond page where rain and fear are over powering. Also the same fear in little princess , did not read all of story.
Anne of green gables was my imaginary self ! Such fun and daring, ! Also to kill a mocking bird was great, again a very independent sort of girl with strong character.
Tom sawer , was another , but Uncle Rhemus and his stories plus the so colourful picture painted in words of the life in southern states back then!
My all time favourite Song of the South, with its music and happy songs !! Yes I have shared these joys with my grandchildren, who are now having families of their own, and sharing all these wonderful books , songs rhymes from Noddy to those big colourful films, all singing, all dancing , wonderful impressions they left with us all !! Goodness knows how many times I have re-enjoyed them .
From proud great grandma to newly arrived on St Georges day, GeorgeJames, who made a point of arriving on this very English day - to state he is of english father born in USA