Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Independant Book Shops

(15 Posts)
Teetime Sat 02-Jul-16 14:13:18

Strangely having said our little bookshop was closing I went into town and in a tucked away corner a second hand bookshop has opened so I quickly bought three books - £1 each when I've read them they can go in the charity shop next door.

durhamjen Sat 02-Jul-16 10:53:45

By the way, if you order through www.hive.co.uk you can arrange to have the books picked up at your local bookshop rather than have them posted. Then you can browse, have your coffee, and buy even more books, safe in the knowledge that the one you really wanted will be there for you to pick up.

Elrel Sat 02-Jul-16 10:48:07

Anyone using the bookshop I've always meant to visit in Much Wenlock? I've read great reports of it!

Teetime Sat 02-Jul-16 10:25:06

Sadly the lovely young woman who runs the bookshops has tried almost everything I should think, book clubs, knitting clubs, children reading groups etc. She offers a good service in getting books and orders but sadly it still hasn't worked. I did wonder whether she might share premises with one of the many coffee shops in town but I guess she's looked into that.

NanaandGrampy Sat 02-Jul-16 09:31:21

I love a good bookshop , even better if it has a coffee shop with it too ! We don't actually seem to have any independent bookshops in our town - I too loved Borders and spent many a happy Sunday morning there with books coffee and our little ones. Rarely got out the door without spending a fortune.

durhamjen Sat 02-Jul-16 00:00:54

I use www.hive.co.uk as well, Pittcity.
Any order over £10 is postfree, and a percentage is given to one of your local shops. Here we can give to sevenstories, or the children's or grown up book shop in Corbridge.
They arrive very quickly. I have just ordered a DVD tonight and it will arrive on Monday.

carolmary Fri 01-Jul-16 20:47:53

Yes, there is a lovely independent bookshop near us. The owner will get you anything you want and she stocks books by local authors. I still buy books on-line for convenience as well, but feel that I ought to buy more from the bookshop as it would be such a shame to lose it. I have resolved to visit it more often! Otherwise our local charity shops have a fantastic selection of great hardbacks, and so cheap that I can't resist.

Jalima Fri 01-Jul-16 20:31:46

Our very small local bookshop arranges evenings with authors at a local venue - very well known authors - the cost of attending a talk by the author is taken off the price if anyone purchases a signed copy!

NanKate Fri 01-Jul-16 20:22:15

Excellent Roses glad they got your books quickly.

In August we have a independent bookshop opening in our town. I have decided to use them instead of Amazon.

My DS is a children's author and encourages everyone he knows to use their local book shops, not always successfully. sad

I think they need to diversify and have a place for coffee, a children's corner, maybe a craft/knitting table, a mum's corner, anything that will encourage possible shoppers.

rosesarered Fri 01-Jul-16 19:39:50

What SueDonim says.smile my small indie bookshop recently ordered two books for me, they were in a day and a half later, what service.

SueDonim Fri 01-Jul-16 19:35:08

My local bookshop seems to be doing fine. It's relatively new, opened about 10/12yrs ago. They don't stock books you can get in the supermarkets or big bookshops eg they don't have the current best sellers because they know they'll be undercut on price.

They have a good selection of local books, great non-fiction and children's books and lots of quirky books that would probably go under the radar otherwise. There's a good selection of other items such as cards, stationery and some toys.

They'll also order anything in for you, generally within 24hrs.

Pittcity Fri 01-Jul-16 12:14:49

I use thehive.co.uk . You buy online from your local bookshop - best of both worlds!

Alima Fri 01-Jul-16 10:13:02

Yes, I agree that it is inevitable that independent bookshops will soon be a thing of the past. They are lovely to browse in but cannot match prices in supermarkets and on line. Never yet read an ebook, I use our library, Sainsbury's and charity shops for mine. Used to love Borders but they closed several years ago.

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 09:50:51

It's so sad but inevitable. I was an avid reader as a child and made good use of the library and the mobile library as well as books shops and second hand book shops when I grew up. With the arrival of technology, so purchasing books online or Kindle, it was bound to put the smaller shops out of business. I feel sad because there is something quite lovely about a small bookshop but I guess it's 'progress'???

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 09:22:11

Our little and very lovely book shop has announced it will close next month. In some ways I feel guilty that I don't shop there but in other ways its more convenient and cheaper to download books onto my Kindle. I still love books but only buy reference ones these days and borrow fiction from the library. Do you still use your local bookshop regularly?