Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Holiday book for 7 yr granddaughter

(10 Posts)
Speechgirl1 Mon 31-Aug-15 08:53:45

I am new to this so hope my ask is ok. Off on first hol with said newly acquired GD and would like a book that I could read chapters to her each night? She veers between quite young in her tastes and 7 going on 17! Any help much appreciated ��

Elrel Mon 31-Aug-15 09:59:29

Jacqueline Wilson - the Hetty Feather series is her latest but there are several earlier titles which are shorter books. The Story of Tracy Beaker, The Mum-Minder, Lizzie Zipmouth, Double Act, Cliffhanger are a few possibilities. Terence Blacker's Ms Wiz series about a magic teacher. Dick King Smith's The Hodgeheg. Anne Fine's Diary of a Killer Cat. Philip Pullman's I was a Rat.
Just a few quick suggestions.

Your local library and bookshop should have someone knowledgeable and there's no substitute for browsing some books yourself, bearing in mind what you know of your granddaughters interests.

You may prefer to read her a favourite of your own or her parents. I think Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, the original Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows worth considering. Sure you'll get loads of ideas on this thread anyway. I read to my granddaughter at bedtime most weekends until she was 11. We both enjoyed it which is the whole point. Have a lovely holiday!

Speechgirl1 Mon 31-Aug-15 14:42:35

Thanks very much for you suggestions Elrel - I shall go and have a browse

vampirequeen Mon 31-Aug-15 14:49:01

David Walliams....Gangsta Granny

sherish Tue 01-Sep-15 07:42:52

I am not up to scratch with authors now but when my daughters were around that age they loved anything that fired the imagination. I usually found books that would be about girls that they themselves would like to be like, especially magical ones. Illustrations in the book would be discussed too.

Humbertbear Tue 01-Sep-15 12:50:50

Diary of a Wimpy Kid ( several books) and the Tom Gates series have been very popular. The sections are short and there are lots of illustrations. Has she read all the 'Fairy' Books? You can usually find them in charity shops and my grand daughter read most of them. Not great literature but at least she was reading.

Treebee Tue 01-Sep-15 20:31:07

I'd recommend the series by Bel Mooney about Kitty. My daughters loved these at your GD's age.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Sep-15 21:10:37

My 7yo DD loves anything by David Walliams and also loved the Daisy (Trouble With...) books and the My Funny Family series. Also Roald Dahl. Lot more but my brain is too tired!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Sep-15 21:11:43

She's read a couple of Jacqueline Wilsons too - but be careful as some are intended for younger kids (around 7-9) and many definitely not suitable for this age range (darker subjects) so check first!

Elrel Tue 01-Sep-15 22:55:27

Apart from the earlier JW books I mentioned by name, I think a 7 year old would most likely enjoy the first Hetty Feather book. As it's being read to her anything she finds unfamiliar could be explained to her.
I completely agree with you, CariG that some titles by JW are intended for much older readers. I kept 'Midnight', 'Dustbin Baby' 'The Illustrated Mum' and, of course, the 'Girls' series plus several other books until my granddaughters were older. Also books such as 'Lola Rose', 'Cookie ','Lily Alone' and 'The Suitcase Kid' might not be appropriate should a child have similar things happening in their own life.
Vampirequeen - oh yes, I do like DW's books, so much better than most celebrities' efforts!