Gransnet forums

Books/book club

50 shades

(15 Posts)
coolgranny123 Mon 08-Feb-16 11:41:29

i'm thinking of reading 50 shades of grey? Have you read it if so what do you think?
Many thanks
coolgranny123

Luckygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 12:25:22

I have not read it but all the comments have heard from people who have conclude that it is complete trashy rubbish. Who knows? - I am not planning to find out.

Teetime Mon 08-Feb-16 12:33:54

I picked it up in Smiths when it first came out flipped open a page and read - dire- terrible writing - not for me. I don't mind a racy novel but Jackie Collins was better at writing.

Teetime Tue 09-Feb-16 08:50:05

I did think overnight it might make a really funny book club type evening where you each read out a section during a wine tasting! smile

Iam64 Tue 09-Feb-16 08:55:28

Its about abuse of a young woman by a powerful, older man. If you want a racer novel, try jelly cooper or Sandra browne

Ariadne Tue 09-Feb-16 09:06:54

Nasty little book.

Elegran Tue 09-Feb-16 09:22:08

Yes, nasty little book, and the women who claim to enjoy the descriptions of sleazy degradation are just as nasty as the men who get off on reading them and imagining submitting someone to them. Great stuff for stoking the lust of budding sadistic psychopaths.

mumofmadboys Tue 09-Feb-16 09:32:01

I started reading it for our book group but found it disturbing and unedifying so abandoned it!

annodomini Tue 09-Feb-16 09:38:09

I once read the first chapter and decided to go no further. Apart from the content, it is very badly written. So, if you want my opinion, coolgranny, I'd say give it a miss.

J52 Tue 09-Feb-16 10:12:09

I have not read it. Probably never will, there are too many great books from wonderful writers to read!

x

coolgranny123 Tue 09-Feb-16 14:24:57

Thank you everyone, some great advice on here xxx p.s i think i'm going to give it a go...

Liz46 Tue 09-Feb-16 14:45:40

Someone left her book on the beach when we were on holiday so I picked it up to return it to her. I read a few pages and thought they were trash so am not tempted to get a copy.

TerriBull Wed 10-Feb-16 08:25:06

I gather it's very badly written and the content is pernicious. I find reading one of the great pleasures in life and wouldn't want to waste a nano second of my time on such trash, but each to their own Whilst watching Room 101 a little while ago, Paloma Faith, nominated it as one of her choices to be sent to Room 101. Sounds the right place for it too !

Iam64 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:10:37

I genuinely don't understand why any self respecting woman would see this book as worth giving house room to. See, it's brought out my grannie in me, she wouldn't give house room to things that were "common" or trashy. I'm repeating my earlier comment, it's about abuse of a woman by a man. Dress it up any which way you want, but it's about abuse.
I haven't read it but my daughter's both read the first bit of the book and agreed it is badly written, neither of the characters have anything likeable about them and it's about abuse.

Corncob Thu 11-Feb-16 13:26:51

Just a complete yawn,don't waste your money