Gransnet forums

Chat

1940's baby menu

(159 Posts)
Seventimesfive Mon 30-Jan-12 14:03:42

In another thread I wrote about writing my life story and as part of the research and preparation for this I have been looking at my old baby book and found the following which shocked and made me laugh at the same time.
When I was 6 months old in 1943 my mother was recommended the following diet for me:
Breakfast - porridge, milk and glucose, steamed fish or fried bread and a little bacon or boiled egg.
Dinner - veal bone soup containing veg, boiled chicken or rabbit or Irish stew, semolina pudding, or rice pudding, or stewed fruit and egg custard.
Tea - bread and butter, rusks soaked in milk, milk to drink and sponge cake.
This is long before the days of little pots of food and I had a vision of me sitting down to a three course meal! Can you imagine anyone recommending this today for a six month old! Anyway, I've survived and am pretty fit for my age!

artygran Sun 12-Feb-12 22:33:25

I loved Round the Horne, which I now have on CDs and I dare not play them in the car because they render me helpless with laughter as nothing else can!

jeni Sun 12-Feb-12 16:25:25

A lot of the old programmes are available at iTunes. I've got the complete navy larkgrin
Left hand down a bit?

Seventimesfive Sun 12-Feb-12 16:08:28

Annobel if you want to hear Take It From Here again it's on Radio4 Extra with lots of the old programmes.

Oxon70 Sat 11-Feb-12 17:02:12

I started by reading Jules Verne all night on a sofa at my gran's, then later graduated to Dan Dare.....

Seventimesfive Sat 11-Feb-12 17:01:06

Me too artygran!

Annobel Sat 11-Feb-12 16:11:49

My dad rigged up a speaker system on the landing so that we could listen to the Home Service comedy programmes - Arthur Askey, Ted Ray, Jimmy Edwards (Take if From Here with June Whitfield) and, for my fellow Scots, the McFlannels, a sort of soap cum sitcom on Saturday night.

artygran Sat 11-Feb-12 15:29:15

"Journey into Space - The Red Planet!" I can hear that opening title as if it were yesterday (wish it were!). Talk about cliff hangers!

Oxon70 Sat 11-Feb-12 14:26:10

Oh, I had a Dansette!
I wasn't into the Goons but my ex-H was.

I listened to Radio Luxembourg to the space fiction at 6.45 for 15 mins...even managed to get it at my Gran's. Jet Morgan...'Journey into Space', was it called? and an advert with it for something from Wootton, Woodstock

And earlier, 'Much Binding in the Marsh'?

jeni Fri 10-Feb-12 20:31:17

Don't remember the goons. The other girls in the dorm used to crowd round my bed, with one on watch to listen for matron. I think mine was a dansette?

Seventimesfive Fri 10-Feb-12 19:39:05

Oh yes artygran and jeni! I was given a green Roberts radio when I passed the 11+ and I used to listen under the bedclothes! I also used to listen to The Goons, 8.30 on a Wednesday evening, again, under the bedclothes. I loved my bedroom, my own private space - and still do.

jeni Fri 10-Feb-12 19:23:47

Oh yes! At boarding school, under the blankets(in case matron came snooping)
And do you remember Horace Batchelor at keynsham, spelt k e y n etc

artygran Fri 10-Feb-12 19:09:13

Does anyone remember listening to Radio Luxembourg in the fifties when one of the programme sponsors was Carters Little Liver Pills? Did anyone ever TAKE Carters Little Liver Pills??

yogagran Fri 10-Feb-12 18:47:54

Thanks harrigran - I had been wracking (spelling?) my brains for the last couple of days trying to remember the name of those little brown beans - Bile Beans - of course

artygran Fri 10-Feb-12 15:39:00

I still have Beechams powders, and they still come in folded up papers! When I have a cold, I prefer a Beechams powder with fresh lemon juice, honey and hot water to all the pre-prepared cold remedies. Can't think why they haven't sorted the archaic packaging out yet though!

Elegran Fri 10-Feb-12 15:04:01

I did that with a class of ten-year-olds. We took the top half-inch off thirty bottles of free milk, put it in a Kilner jar with a teaspoon and passed it round the class, everyone giving it a good shake. It went with the rolls we had made the day before (well, they were actually taken home and baked in my oven but the kneading, rising and shaping were done in class)

We also took a sample to the headmaster, who admired it but was not brave enough to eat.

JessM Fri 10-Feb-12 14:22:40

Oh I remember doing that for fun too. Took forever. But educational.

petallus Fri 10-Feb-12 13:28:17

Just after the war when we were still short of butter, we used to make our own by taking the cream from the tops of several bottles of milk, putting it in a screw top jar and then shaking it for ages until bit by bit a solid lump of 'butter' appeared. It was rather tasteless by comparison with the real thing but quite exciting to make.

jeni Fri 10-Feb-12 10:23:33

Quite normal in the midlands. I remember having that as a child.

Annobel Fri 10-Feb-12 09:50:46

Our ancient family doctor in the '40s used to recommend 'a wee half aspirin' (not sure what a big half would be like), crushed up in a spoonful of jam.

JessM Fri 10-Feb-12 09:38:13

yes I do. Aspirin I think.

Zephrine Fri 10-Feb-12 08:56:06

Does anyone remember Beechams Powders, they came in a folded up piece of paper and we were always given one for a cold, I wonder what was in them?

harrigran Thu 09-Feb-12 23:43:16

Bile beans, I used to shudder when I saw them as a child. My Grandma was always having bilious attacks or bilious headaches ( her words) and these beans were supposed to sort the bowels out and stop the sickness hmm

goldengirl Thu 09-Feb-12 22:11:13

Syrup of figs or Milk of Magnesia on a Saturday night on my Nan's orders - and my mum always did what my nan said! No wonder I have bowel problems now. Constipation? What's that?
I don't think I was breastfed because as my Dad had quite a lot of National Dried Milk tins in the cellar in which he kept screws, tin tacks and the like.
I was always told to 'finish my plate' ie eat everything which I did except for rhubarb. [I still have trouble with rhubarb] I expect it was because of rationing but no wonder I was a chubby child - and now a 'curvy' grandma!

Zephrine Thu 09-Feb-12 20:04:54

If you want to go to heaven
you must take a dose of seven,
if you want to go to hell
take the lot and the box as well! smile

Oxon70 Thu 09-Feb-12 19:58:23

"Hark the herald angels sing
Beechams pills are just the thing
Move you gently, meek and mild
Two for an adult, one for a child........."