Gransnet forums

Chat

Ministry of silly walks

(57 Posts)
NanKate Tue 26-Aug-14 19:12:26

Have any of you noticed that when getting out of the car after a hour or so that you walk a bit oddly for about 20 steps before you get back into your normal gait ?

Or is it just me ?

NanKate Thu 28-Aug-14 10:24:17

I did totter a bit OGM but soon got into my stride.

I taught adults, which I think would be a lot less stressful than children. I loved it too but in the end the paperwork was just too much.

janerowena Thu 28-Aug-14 12:07:23

DBH would agree with you there, he has gone in today and will be in all day every day until term starts, just sorting out paperwork.

Yes, another one for the dead legs and feet that suddenly feel as if they can't possibly be mine. DBH is still only in his late 40s, but this weekend after being stuck in a traffic jam for a couple of hours, I noticed for the first time that he did the same thing. grin I felt quite guilty for being pleased that at last he knows how it feels, as of course he always charges on ahead of me, looking irritated when he sees that I am still some way behind.

Having resigned myself to it, I now start to wiggle my toes, stretch out my legs and circle my ankles just before we arrive somewhere. It helps.

petallus Thu 28-Aug-14 12:18:04

I just started upstairs, holding a bowl of cereal which I intended to eat whilst looking on GN, when for no reason I can think of I lurched to the right and bumped into the banister.

NanKate Thu 28-Aug-14 15:15:50

Yes stairs are a minefield too Petallus. If when I walk up (when no one else is about) I put my one hand on the stair and the other on the bannister I get up quite easily.

Are you any good P at balancing the cereal on your head, then you could try this too ? grin

Marelli Thu 28-Aug-14 15:24:53

Here in Fife (and maybe further afield) it's described as 'walking like a half-shut knife'! And, isn't it? grin Getting out of the car after being out for a long walk is a palaver in itself, as I try to stride off towards the front gate, pretending to be searching for my housekeys in the bottom of my bag, when really, I'm so sore, and walking in a crab-like, off-balance way, I must look as if I've just come back from a session in the pub!
petallus, that happens to me, too! I bang into things all the time - my mind seems to be ahead of my body sometimes. confused!

janerowena Thu 28-Aug-14 15:56:57

Stairs are indeed a minefield, and I can no longer walk up them carrying two cups of coffee for a weekend lie-in. The stains on our new stair carpet bore testament to that. The whole wall had to be washed too. Yet as I started up them I felt fine.

Bits of you start to let you down at the most awkward moment - I have just had my mother on the phone, laughing her head off because she knelt down on the floor in Sainsbury's yesterday to be able to look at pet foods more closely - and her leg went to sleep. Luckily my S-F came around the corner and hauled her up, but then he got very funny looks as he rubbed her leg vigorously trying to get some feeling back into it. grin My mother asked them to delete the day's CTV recordings, as she left the shop!

Nytsom Thu 28-Aug-14 17:24:05

You lot are awful: but I do like your comments!
Recently joind your community; and must say, this thead made me laugh out loud. I read your posts to my wife; then we both laughed.. We could relate to each one of the silly walks.

Thanks

petallus Thu 28-Aug-14 17:55:08

NanKate thanks for the suggestion.

I think I'll practice with an empty bowl first though grin

NfkDumpling Thu 28-Aug-14 18:05:11

Welcome Nytsom wine

Anne58 Thu 28-Aug-14 18:31:14

NanKate , yes, I'm afraid there are other underwear related stories, including an unfortunate incident on the 9.57 train from Exeter St Davids to Paddington blush

NfkDumpling Thu 28-Aug-14 20:32:22

?????????

Galen Thu 28-Aug-14 20:58:35

I trussed you've given up thongs now Phoenix

janerowena Thu 28-Aug-14 21:07:25

Do tell, phoenix! We won't tell anyone. grin

NanKate Thu 28-Aug-14 21:18:15

We are all waiting Phoenix come on 'fess up.

Anne58 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:35:02

It's been posted on here before, NanKate , (and others!) just can't remember where, under which forum heading or when. Wouldn't want to repeat myself.

Galen the miss thingy "trussed" up there ^ did make me smile! smile

Galen Thu 28-Aug-14 21:57:35

Was meant to!

NanKate Fri 29-Aug-14 19:41:36

Well we will be ready Phoenixif it does come back to you.

As I said earlier going upstairs with one hand on the stair is helpful, it suddenly came back to me who I had seen doing this - a monkey. shock

Anne58 Sat 30-Aug-14 09:16:42

I do wish I could find it, I'll have to do a bit more searching.

Anne58 Sat 30-Aug-14 09:21:41

Found it! It's in here. It also contains the original telling of the thong on sideways, but if you trawl through you will find the second incident blush

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1190786-I-have-been-to-school?pg=2

shysal Sat 30-Aug-14 09:51:20

phoenix grin

Anne58 Sat 30-Aug-14 20:27:59

Well, it would seem that all those who wanted the further info have given up!

NanKate Sat 30-Aug-14 23:06:14

I haven 't given up Phoenix but I have been to an open air Shakespearean play tonight and have only just got home. Will get up to speed tomorrow.

MiniMouse Sat 30-Aug-14 23:17:13

Phoenix Brilliant! grin

NfkDumpling Sun 31-Aug-14 06:43:07

Phoenix you're priceless! (Pleeeeze, when will you start a blog, pleeeeze!)

NanKate Sun 31-Aug-14 09:59:06

Fab your thong story Phoenix.

It's funny what came into my mind whilst reading it - do you remember those cheese slicers in the 50/60s with the wire cutter - Ouch. shock