Gransnet forums

Chat

Hello

(40 Posts)
jamsidedown Sat 30-Aug-14 20:10:08

Hi everyone, I couldn't find a Newbie thread so thought it only polite to say hello and introduce myself. I live in Hampshire, having moved from Warwickshire 18 months ago to be closer to our family. I have three grandchildren, GD 10 nearly 11 (going on 15 at least), GS aged 7 nearly 8 and 4 year old GD. I have been lurking for quite a few months, but decided to put my toe in the water - so, hello everyone.

jamsidedown Mon 01-Sep-14 22:09:09

Hi supermum, yes, coffee sounds good, and likewise if you are passing this way.

Your Fleet U3A group sounds a lot more active than the Petersfield one. The next one would be Liphook which is about 15-20 minute drive away. I do need to apply myself otherwise I will not bother and turn into a right grump!

supermum48 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:34:04

The same applies to any other Gransnetters who happen to be passing through Hartley Wintney.

supermum48 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:32:11

Hi Jamsidedown. There are several different groups - the actual number and variety depends on the size and interests of the group. I have joined Fleet u3a as it is bigger than Hartley Wintney u3a and potentially has more groups that interest me. I am giving Scrabble and International Folk Dancing a go initially, but I can join other groups throughout the year if I want as long as there is room in the group.
If you are passing through Hartley Wintney again, perhaps we could meet for a coffee?

rubysong Mon 01-Sep-14 18:47:42

Welcome to Cornwall moonlightwalks I hope you enjoy your new home. Which end of the county are you? We are in the east, close to the Devon border.

jamsidedown Mon 01-Sep-14 18:30:49

Bother automatic spellchecker, that should read "shied" away grr smile

jamsidedown Mon 01-Sep-14 17:50:04

Hi supermum, yes I agree with you. Even though we do have friends in Hampshire/Surrey, they have moved on with their own lives and it's not so simple to ring and say let's go for a coffee or whatever is it? By the way, I meant to say that Hartley Wintney is lovely. When we lived in the Midlands I used to frequently drive through to get to the motorway!

What particular bits of U3A are you interested in - is there a wide range of groups? I always shed off a bit from the WI, but that's my prejudice I think - if it was like the Dawn French Jam and Jerusalem then it could be fun!

supermum48 Mon 01-Sep-14 10:50:18

I know Jamsidedown. Sometimes I feel as though I am pushing myself unnaturally to establish a connection with somebody, when they are not that interested. Other times I get tired of constantly having to make the effort, and ring one of my old friends instead!
DH is fine as long as he can go to the pub and chat about football to any random person that comes in, but I think women want more than that.

jamsidedown Mon 01-Sep-14 10:25:04

Super mum, you sound just like me! I have joined a Pilates class, so met a few people there and also the local wildlife group which is very friendly. We have had a building project on so it's been heads down for the past few months, but I have looked at U3A although I think there is a waiting list! As you say, it is missing longstanding friends and those close connections. It's lovely to be near the family but it's a trade off isn't it? I made a lot of friends when working but now I am retired it's not so easy. Up to me yo make the effort I guess, which it am not very good at!

whenim64 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:11:48

Hello to everyone who has recently joined, or decided to jump in and post something. It's great to see new 'faces'. smile

Ariadne Mon 01-Sep-14 09:08:10

Hello to you new people, and welcome. I hope you enjoy GN as much as I do.

supermum48 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:02:38

I am in Hartley Wintney near Fleet. I have been to Petersfield. It's a nice place. I remember we went into Wetherspoons for coffee and it was brilliant value and pleasant surroundings! It's only 20 something miles from us, but seems to take a long time because the roads aren't fast roads. Have you made any new friends there? I have joined u3a and considering WI to get to know some people locally. Great to be near the family, but I do miss the closeness of long standing friends.

jamsidedown Sun 31-Aug-14 22:52:53

Hi supermum48, there's a coincidence! I am in Petersfield - and you?

supermum48 Sun 31-Aug-14 22:29:40

Hello Jamsidedown. I moved to Hampshire 12 months ago to be near my family. Whereabouts are you?

buzynanna Sun 31-Aug-14 18:50:43

Hello Moonlightwalks , what a lovely place you have moved to ! Hope you soon settle in . flowers

buzynanna Sun 31-Aug-14 18:47:32

Hello all! Thank you to everyone for their warm welcome.smile I 've only had a very quick read around the site when I registered last night , but to be honest it was so late , I had to give in to sleep! I, too, am learning how and where to find everything! It looks so packed with so much interest , it's going to take a while, I can see! lol! (but b nice , I'm sure). Please bear with me folks if it's a while before you see a reply from me - thank you again for your warm welcome and to the other newbie - hello from me too! smile
Looking forward to getting back on here later this evening ... hoping to check out my local page too by then.
Oops! See what I mean ! I had meant to give a little about myself at the start of this post!! I live in Wales , I have 3 gorgeous grandsons aged 4, 3 and 2 months - love them all to bits. It 's really nice to have somewhere to look forward to reading / chatting - for me ! Until later then ! Take care all

Moonlightwalks Sun 31-Aug-14 18:43:14

Just a note to say Hello because I too have taken the plunge to join today. I have moved from Gloucestershire to Cornwall for peace and quiet and found this site so helpful and friendly. Looking forward to meet ups, chat and laughter. Thanks for a great way to use the modern technology! wine

Margsus Sun 31-Aug-14 18:36:04

Welcome from me too! I only joined Gransnet recently and wondered where to find fellow newbies.

shysal Sun 31-Aug-14 18:22:02

Welcome newbies from me too. I hope you get as much pleasure from this site as I do.flowers flowers

Pittcity Sun 31-Aug-14 18:18:03

The tabs at the top of the forums page are useful. I usually look at the threads that "I'm On" first then dip into the "Active" ones, which are those with the latest comments. If you want a particular subject use the search box and start a new conversation if you find nothing.

numberplease Sun 31-Aug-14 17:06:43

Welcome Jamsidedown and Buzynanna!

jamsidedown Sun 31-Aug-14 16:34:40

Hi everyone, thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice and information. I can see I am going to have to ration myself, otherwise I will never get my nose off my ipad!

Buzynanna it's good to have a fellow newbie! Hope to "meet" up with everyone on some of the various threads, which I never knew about - soops kitchen for example! What's that about? And does anyone have any advice on how do find threads?

Thank you.

Jammy

Pittcity Sun 31-Aug-14 16:22:34

Hello newbies and welcome. Hope you have checked out your local Gransnet pages too.

I have to ration my time on GN otherwise I'd never see the light of day. There's always something interesting to join in with and no need to get dressed!

Crow Sun 31-Aug-14 15:09:04

Welcome to the newcomers from me.
It is a very addictive site as others have warned!!!! I know because I have been here from the very early days.
flowers to you both.

hildajenniJ Sun 31-Aug-14 14:23:25

Hello jamsidedown and a big welcome to gnet from me in Northumberland. I joined earlier this year and have found these lovely people very wise and very funny.I've never visited Hampshire. The nearest I've been is Gloucestershire.

Dragonfly1 Sun 31-Aug-14 11:18:08

Welcome from me too. Enjoy!