Gransnet forums

Chat

Autumn

(68 Posts)
PRINTMISS Tue 23-Sep-14 15:52:14

I love this time of year, I know it is a winding down time, and a sign that the colder days are coming, but the mornings of mist with spiders webs dripping dew, the beautiful sun-rises we are seeing on some occasions and the bright red glow in the skies as the sun sets at the end of the day, I find all very satisfying in some way. I think there is a peacefulness about this time of year, when the countryside is satisfied with itself, the harvest has been sown and reaped, and the fruit ripe for the picking. Soon the leaves will start to turn a blaze of fantastic colours and the season will end, so I am making the most of the lovely days we are having at the moment.

Thistledoo Wed 24-Sep-14 14:41:48

Autumn is a joy to behold in rural Perthshire. Will be driving down the A9 in a couple do weeks, can't wait to see wonderful colours. We'll worth a visit if you get the chance. smile

granjura Wed 24-Sep-14 16:18:24

1971 here too- but on 29th May - didn't see the weather as I was stuck in hospital for many months- but that autumn in London, near Richmond Park, was glorious.

MariClaire Wed 24-Sep-14 16:26:44

Your beautiful descriptions have inspired me to make a trip to England in the Autumn, my favorite season as well. Here on the US West Coast we are simply praying for rain. Although wildfire season still goes through November.

Yofab Wed 24-Sep-14 16:30:25

Love going to the woods in autumn and kicking the leaves..

annodomini Wed 24-Sep-14 17:14:23

Thisledo, I used to love driving from Dundee over to Blairgowrie. The autumn colours were wonderful. I'll be up in Dundee this weekend, but it might be a couple of weeks too early.

TerriBull Wed 24-Sep-14 17:15:25

We have just come back from a walk in Bushy Park, what a lovely afternoon, sun shining and really warm. I love the trees this time of the year, quite a few stags antlers visible through the long grass, slightly wary of them I believe the rutting season is nearly upon us.

annodomini Wed 24-Sep-14 17:18:31

This autumn, more than any other I've known has reminded me of Keats's Ode to Autumn.

dustyangel Wed 24-Sep-14 17:23:42

I'm really enjoying Autumn this year despite the first rain coming earlier than usual in the Algarve. Maybe that is why, Winter still seems faraway and I found the Summer more wearing than I normally do.
We will be in the UK in October and I'm looking forward to seeing the trees in all their glory. Someone once told me that the trees were not as colourful in Devon because they did not have such hard frosts. Can anyone tell me if that is true?

MarieClaire, here in the Algarve we are not allowed to have bonfires until November because of the danger of wildfires.

NanKate Wed 24-Sep-14 17:36:00

Thank you Anno for reminding me of the wonderful poem by Keats, so emotively written. smile

granjura Wed 24-Sep-14 17:44:46

Thank you Anno-will print- so beautiful.

HollyDaze Wed 24-Sep-14 17:48:47

we are simply praying for rain

I 'secretly' pray for rain sometimes MariClaire so that the waterfalls become impressive again smile - I can't make it known to people here about that or I'd probably be lynched grin

whenim64 Wed 24-Sep-14 18:10:31

Perfect for this particular autumn we're having, anno. One of my favourite poems.

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Sep-14 18:15:52

It poured with rain in Cheshire this morning and woke me up at 6 am ish.

It has been a lovely September. Our Indian summers quite often are.

I am now frantically trying to get my tender garden plants safely stowed away.

MariClaire Wed 24-Sep-14 19:26:13

hollydaze I haven't seen our local waterfall with actual water since El Niño about 15 years ago. I'd love to see yours! hollydaze It seems like we've been on red alert for years! Even our river is dry sad. And I'm on the coast!

JoyBloggs Wed 24-Sep-14 21:39:49

Yes, NanKate whenever we enjoy warm, sunny days in October I think of it as 'wedding weather'. It's good to know of another couple who remember the very special weather when they were married on that same day so long ago!

Your Ruby album sounds lovely, what a thoughtful gift. I'm sure your DCs will enjoy seeing the photos... and no doubt find the clothes hilarious historically interesting (if they are anything like the outfits Joe and I wore in those days)!

durhamjen Wed 24-Sep-14 22:11:36

One of my favourite songs.
ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9UnaRMiNUrWQAEhF3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBydDFnbTUyBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1411621649/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.last.fm%2fmusic%2fJustin%2bHayward%2f_%2fForever%2bAutumn/RK=0/RS=iHVcMb.Ce8qfqDvTyZ6GO07uIPk-

JoyBloggs Thu 25-Sep-14 08:10:24

NanKate Re my last post... sorry, should of course have said 'DG' not 'DCs'.

NanKate Thu 25-Sep-14 11:15:13

No problem Joy I make tippo errors all the time. grin

Must go and do the bl*****y hoovering now. I really need staff ASAP. hmm

granjura Thu 25-Sep-14 19:50:12

Had a fabulous walk with friends today, along one of my favourite and wild dale- trees turning, warm sunshine, dippers and lots of other birds- really lifted my spirits, even though my knees are now complaining. Bootiful.

Icyalittle Fri 26-Sep-14 09:26:56

I absolutely understand and appreciate the beauty of autumn, particularly one like this. It always makes me sad though: I used to hate it when the summer holidays were over and the children went back to school. The house felt empty, even the air stopped moving in the silence. The birds don't sing in Seotember either. The feeling has always stayed with me. Sorry for the downer....

littlegran Fri 26-Sep-14 12:48:02

autumn is fine but give me spring plus summer anytime.

granjura Fri 26-Sep-14 16:29:29

A glorious day here in the mountains- birds are twittering away in the garden, and on the way home I saw 15 red kites and 6 buzzards.

Greenfinch Fri 26-Sep-14 16:33:48

Those red kites are spectacular aren't they especially when they swoop low ?

feetlebaum Fri 26-Sep-14 16:54:00

The kites seem pretty laid back - I saw one lazily circling, as though its hands were in its pockets, and it must have flown over a balckbird (or other smaller black bird) nest: the smaller bad came barrelling up from the ground like a Hurricane fighter, and started to harry the kite. If ever a bird shrugged its shoulders the kite did - it just sloped off slowly, ignoring the attacks completely!

granjura Fri 26-Sep-14 16:56:53

they often glide just above our house- just love them.