Gransnet forums

Chat

hard holiday beds

(21 Posts)
granjura Wed 24-Sep-14 22:31:21

Interesting- could you put the brand here please. Just cannot imagine a foam topper to be light enough to carry on plane!

rosesarered Wed 24-Sep-14 21:13:42

I have a memory foam single topper which I take everywhere! Even when flying [though it's hard to flap my arms without dropping it.Hee-hee.]Seriously, it rolls up and you can tie it with a bit of cord and it fits in a small case.I can now travel anywhere in the world knowing I will be comfy. DH doesn't need one.

tiggypiro Wed 24-Sep-14 19:50:19

In my DD's last furnished apartment in Beijing the bed I slept in looked lovely but it was like sleeping on a hard floor. The 'mattress' was about 1" thick and placed on top of a wooden base. It took a bit of getting used to !

granjura Wed 24-Sep-14 16:52:27

The topper I linked as stitching to keep everything even- great.

hildajenniJ Wed 24-Sep-14 09:46:16

The loveliest bed I've slept on was when on holiday in Salzburg. They had memory foam toppers, bliss. I have a feather and down mattress topper at home, the problem with it is that the feathers all migrate to the centre so it's like sleeping either side of the great wall of china. The hardest bed I've encountered on my travels was in a B&B in Aberdeen, fortunately we only stayed two nights.

granjura Wed 24-Sep-14 09:26:11

LOL, I like a hard bed, eg not saggy, but not hard top surface! When I am next in Harborough, I will buy a second topper and cut it shorter, so, as rojon says, it protects my shoulders and hips. I will buy wide tape to stitch over the cut and will pack it in carry-on luggage next time we fly.

The place where we stay in Tuscany every year as firm beds- which I like, but hard top, which I don't. Taking the topper with us 2 weeks ago made it so much more enjoyable.

Mamie Wed 24-Sep-14 05:09:06

Agree about Premier Inn and Ibis now all seem to have mattress toppers that are good too. I don't mind hard beds though, it is soft ones I can't stand. We gave up on charming little logis hotels and stick with Ibis now because we can't sleep on wobbly beds where you end up in the middle. We always take our own pillows though. And sometimes for self-catering our duvets too.
Mattress, duvets and pillows.
Sounds like the French and Saunders sketch, "you'll only regret it if you don't"...

harrigran Tue 23-Sep-14 23:35:10

I have slept/or not in some very hard beds, annoying when it is a four or five star hotel. The most comfortable beds and pillows are undoubtedly those in Premier Inns.

jennycockerspaniel Tue 23-Sep-14 23:27:51

oops dont like hard beds

jennycockerspaniel Tue 23-Sep-14 23:26:56

I have hard beds the hardest one was in fort William I never slept so no exra pillows I stay at the Mill inn Mungrisdale Lakes 2 different room aswell and there beds are so comfortable. We travel by car so bring extra duvet but did not need it

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 21:39:47

Not sure where you live, but I bought ours from the beddding/carpet shop by the bridge in central Market Harborough- but exactly the same as on the pictures for on-line shop linked. And it really works + so light and easy to carry. Tell me how you get on.

rojon Tue 23-Sep-14 20:54:38

thanks granjura, I had been pondering if it would be feasible to do something like that. I would only need something long enough to protect my hip and shoulder so it wouldn't need to be full length.

Kiora Tue 23-Sep-14 20:13:13

smilethanks granjura

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 19:42:07

Kiora- if you pick up bed bugs, they would be in your nightwear, etc. This topper can be washed in machine and dried in the sunshine- and never had a problem. I suppose you could put it in the freezer for a few days to make sure.

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 18:25:09

At £40, it actually could be cut in half to travel, with blanket stitch or tape to stop filling falling out. It can be washed in the washing machine- wouldn't be without it.

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 18:01:39

ooops no,

www.linencupboard.co.uk

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 18:00:12

Mine is like this one, not a proper topper- but it is so light and wonderful, really comfy and weighs very little. It compresses to nothing- much rather take that in carry-on case, than extra clothes I never wear!

Microfibre Mattress Enhancer Toppers

from www.thelinencupboard.co.uk

Kiora Tue 23-Sep-14 17:13:30

I have this problem too. I believe you can buy a topper especially for taking abroad. I found the website and was about to buy one when someone talked about the risk of bringing bed bugs back home via the topper. It's put me off a bit. I'm still making up my mind.

HildaW Tue 23-Sep-14 16:41:29

Stay in the US....their beds are always amazing.

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 16:40:26

I have a great topper at home which I can roll, so whenever we go on hols where we can drive (just come back from Italy, not too far from us) I take it. But as it is very light, I was considering taking it with us next time we fly too- and pack it in the separate cabin luggage (normally fly with EasyJet) after vacuum packing it- as it makes such a difference to the enjoyment of my holiday. Otherwise, as you said, I use the blanket which is normally in the wardrobe, double it and put it under my sheet.

rojon Tue 23-Sep-14 16:29:01

Has anyone solved the problem of hard holiday beds. I have just had an £840 five day holiday ruined by hard beds. I do have arthritis so don't expect perfect sleep. I have to pay extra as a single traveller so had no compunction about stripping the spare bed of its pillows and duvet to soften the bed but wondered if I was missing a trick.