Gransnet forums

Chat

Where to take our 6 year old Grandson

(18 Posts)
overthehill Wed 24-Dec-14 09:28:40

Just an update on this. Firstly will refer back to this next time we have him.

I was slightly crafty when I put this up, as I already had in mind where to go, and was wondering if anyone else would suggest my idea and how they found it, but also wanted other alternatives.

We actually took him to the Barbican Centre. They do a `trail` that the kids can follow around the Barbican. You get a big sheet with clues on how to get from one place to another. You have to look for landmarks and sometimes quiz the staff who are very helpful. At the end they get a small prize for completing the course. We found it excellent and kept him amused for about 1.5 hours. The place itself is very nice with fountains outside by the river where in warmer weather you could have a picnic.

I did take up Suzied suggestion to and the plan was to see 4 Paddingtons nearish to the Barbican. He was however getting tired as this point so we only got to see one in the Museum of London.

overthehill Sun 23-Nov-14 21:54:45

Wow so many lovely suggestions. Some we have already done. I don't know what to choose now.

Thanks again.

MiceElf Sun 23-Nov-14 20:40:51

www.londontown.com on 6th December there is wreath making and other lovely activities. Just check every week to see what's on.

MiceElf Sun 23-Nov-14 20:35:38

The Dangleway is not free for Freedom Pass holders although there is a discount. Best to arrive at Greenwich and then a wonderful afternoon can be spent at the Ecology Park on the Peninsula. There are wonderful children's activities there. I'll see if I can find the link in a minute.

Riverwalk Sun 23-Nov-14 19:49:22

Yes it's a great boon that public transport in London is free for all children. smile

suzied Sun 23-Nov-14 19:46:02

Yes or the cable car across the river. Did you know you can ride on it for free if you have a freedom pass? And kids go free with you.

Eloethan Sun 23-Nov-14 19:28:23

Yes - the DLR is fun.

littleflo Sun 23-Nov-14 19:10:05

Mine love riding on the DLR

grumppa Sun 23-Nov-14 10:54:38

Woolwich Ferry (free river crossings) and the Thames Barrier Park - good playground and cafe, and a fine view of planes taking off from City Airport.

Humbertbear Sun 23-Nov-14 09:59:38

Sorry, but why take him out? Our 6 year old GS likes to cook and we often make lunch together and then make cakes and bread for him to take home. All our GC seem to like pottering around the house rather than going out. They like to be read to, paint and play games. Our GS now plays draughts with us. What they appreciate most is spending time with adults who have time to sit with them. Their parents work full time and dad is studying as well so time and attention is what the children appreciate most of all. I am minded that in the summer when we asked our GC where he would like to go for lunch he said 'can't we just stay in? I'm bored of restaurants'.
If you do want to go out why not the Angel Marionnette Theatre or the Unicorn Children's Theatre on the South Bank?

suzied Sun 23-Nov-14 07:37:43

www.visitlondon.com/paddington/trail-map

Here is a map of all the 50 Paddington statues that have been put in London.

suzied Sun 23-Nov-14 07:35:29

If it's not raining you could do a walk along the south bank and spot all the Paddington Bears that have been put there. (And other places) take a pic of him with each one. Have lunch in one of the many riverside cafés or the Globe Theatre or buy an M and S picnic. Pop into the Tate modern or walk across to St Paul's Cathedral. Loads to see.

Eloethan Sun 23-Nov-14 02:01:11

The Science Museum. The space section is interesting for children and the whole of the basement contains lots of activities for young children. On another floor - I can't remember which - there is another section for young children - electronic puzzles, computer-generated fish pond, etc.
At various times throughout the day, they do little educational "shows". The last time we went it was about bubbles and all the children seemed to enjoy it.

There is also a nice café.

Riverwalk Sat 22-Nov-14 23:03:07

Hackney City Farm

and

Horniman Museum and Gardens in Forest Hill.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Nov-14 22:56:12

hidden treasures of London if he's a good walker.

Riverwalk Sat 22-Nov-14 22:49:44

The Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green.

Museum

vampirequeen Sat 22-Nov-14 22:41:44

Natural History Museum. Children love dinosaurs.

overthehill Sat 22-Nov-14 22:05:07

We live in East London, any ideas preferably free of places to take our grandson on a Saturday.