Gransnet forums

Chat

Calling cyclists

(67 Posts)
anniezzz09 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:58:51

Sorry, joke! grin

I was just musing on the feisty thread Calling Vegetarians and thought this would be an equivalent. Post at your peril!

Iam64 Thu 27-Nov-14 08:59:23

Why is that I wonder (Jingle's post 26.11.14 21.13)

Could it be linked to the fact roads in the UK are generally so crowded. We have people cycling and driving to work because the trams, trains and busses are expensive, infrequent and often unreliable.

We visited Poland this year, did a lot of city walking but also drove the hire car around the countryside. Other car drivers were considerate, polite and courteous in country areas but also in the busy city. Not many cyclists though!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 21:13:58

Motorists in mainland europe just seem to be much more people friendly - towards cyclists and pedestrians too.

anniezzz09 Wed 26-Nov-14 21:08:56

oldgirl2 I saw the same situation in Copenhagen and also in The Netherlands where we had a cycling holiday with our twins some years ago. I think the clearly separate tracks, most of them separated by kerbs, and the separate sets of traffic lights for cyclists really helps. The narrow, busy roads of the UK just wind everyone up.

What was also different though, especially in the Netherlands, was a notable courtesy extended to everyone so motorists would not only slow down on roundabouts where cyclists have right of way over cars, but they would do it in a way that was calm and polite, they were looking out for us. Occasionally, motorists stopped when they didn't need to and waved us across. The pace of cycling was also slower in general and no one wore helmets or hi-viz or lycra. It felt very human sized.

Why do we get so annoyed with other road users? Cyclists do the same as some have posted. Me too, all those texting and phoning drivers, the ones who pull out without looking, squash us into the kerb, fling open car doors in our face and then say it's our fault, get annoyed if we 'hold them up'. It's depressing as well as stressful and dangerous.

oldgirl2 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:05:38

We were on holiday in Malmo, Sweden. There are cycle tracks everywhere but they are alongside pedestrian paths not roads, even when crossing roads they have their own track at zebra crossings. All pedestrians know to avoid cycle tracks but bells are used regularly for warnings....sorted! Also, Lycra is rare, it is so much more relaxed.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 17:42:35

your council seems to be into cycling tiggypiro. Especially since the Tour de France started from up there.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 17:26:19

Some councils, if a pavement (path) is wide enough, dedicate part of it to cycles. They paint a white line and paint outline pictures of cycles along it to show it is for the use of cyclists only.

It's not expensive for a council to provide a cycle way along a main road. They just paint a white line about 3 feet out from the curb, and dedicate that to cycles in the same way as above.

tiggypiro Wed 26-Nov-14 17:08:37

Jingl - I am now asking 'What is a path?'

As for asking the council for a cycle path I may as well save my breath as it is difficult to get potholes fixed and they would have to do quite major work to find room for a cycle path.

Eloethan Wed 26-Nov-14 17:00:55

I think cyclists are very badly catered for in this country. tiggypiro's experience demonstrates that.

I'm in east London and we have a few cycle lanes but they seem pointless to me because they are very narrow and quite often only stretch a little way before they abruptly stop. What's the point of that?

The air quality in London in particular is terrible, and fewer cars and more bicycles would go some way towards addressing this. But until proper safe cycling lanes and other measures are introduced, I can't see that many people will take up cycling, especially if there is as likelihood of them being fined for cycling on pavements.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 12:21:41

Have you got a local Cycling Campaign in your area tp? Or get on to your local council. Is there a path they could make shared?

tiggypiro Wed 26-Nov-14 11:17:04

If I hadn't seen them in other areas I would be wondering what a cycle track is. I am so envious of those who have them. I am 4 miles from the town I cycle to and have no alternative but to go down the 'A' road. There is a smaller country road but cars speed along it and as it is narrow there is no where for me to go except the ditch if I need to get out of the way.

feetlebaum Wed 26-Nov-14 10:53:12

Agreed VQ - the arrogant way in which they assume that none of the rules apply to them, straight through red lights - I once followed a cyclist who ignored the cycle track, which ran alongside the road until it came to an end, and then hopped up onto the pavement to carry on. I had to follow because the road had chicanes at intervals and there was no way I could overtake.

Riding on the pavement, and riding without lights were, at one time, extremely common offences in reports from the Magistrate's Courts. What happened?

Another personal annoyance: calling overtaking on the near side 'undertaking'... although of course it can end with a funeral.

vampirequeen Wed 26-Nov-14 10:06:25

I like to cycle but I also like to drive.

When I'm a driver I can't stand cyclists who don't have lights, weave all over the road, don't give hand signals, jump red lights, undertake when the vehicle is about to turn left, have their headphones in, cycle without holding the handle bars, ignore cycle paths that run next to the road and generally put me and others risk.

When I'm a cyclist I can't stand drivers who cut too close to me, pull out in front of me, swear at me, pull onto the green cycle section at traffic lights and generally put me and others at risk.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 09:58:41

mrsmopp I remember when they brought in the on the spot fine for cycling on the pavement. John Prescott, on the radio, said, "of course we're not going to bother about little old ladies wobbling along with their bags of shopping....." smile

anniezzz09 Wed 26-Nov-14 09:57:22

I often ask myself why there is such aggression between motorists/cyclists/pedestrians and partly I think it's overcrowding, especially in the south east and that causes conflict over space, and then we all seem to rush around (how often in the car these days is someone tailgating you because you are driving at the speed limit on the road?) and is there some English thing about obeying the rules. Just as we don't like queue jumpers, there is a principle about cycling on the pavement?

I don't mind people cycling on the pavement if they ride slowly and courteously and if they are older or younger and look nervous. I hate those cyclists, usually male, all togged up who whizz along expecting you to get out of the way.

I cycle because my mother wouldn't let me! She said it was dangerous. So I learnt as an adult and I now do go out with a cycle club some weekends. Some of them dress up, but not all and the speed is of the slowest and we have coffee and cake stops and lunch stops and it's all very sociable. It's not about racing.

There are so many more cyclists now which makes them more visible. One thing though, responding to someone earlier, it is actually perfectly legal for a cyclist to ride in the centre of the road if the speed of the traffic is slow and the cyclist is merely behaving as a vehicle, which it is. The Dept for Transport actually says it's fine as long as the cyclist is travelling at the same speed and not holding the traffic up.

Gagagran Wed 26-Nov-14 09:34:45

DH is a member of a cycling club and is out with them whenever the weather allows, and often, when in my view it doesn't. They all wear lycra and fluorescent jackets, helmets etc. and are a grand and very fit bunch of older men and some women.

Why is there all this antipathy to a section of society who like to keep fit and active, as recommended by all the health advice, in the fresh air? Of course there are some thoughtless and selfish cyclists just as there are car drivers but this is no reason for the criticism of cyclists as a whole. Live and let live and stop being Victor Meldrews!

NfkDumpling Wed 26-Nov-14 09:23:51

There are exceptions to every rule Jingle!

Most of the ones I catch up with when driving are either too fat and flabby with horrible wobbly thighs and fat hairy legs or really skinny and bones with shaved skinny legs with horrible writhing sinues. They all seem to wear helmets and big goggles as a disguise and I think it's just some sort of exhibitionist perversion.

If you hadn't gathered I don't like them!

Eloethan Wed 26-Nov-14 01:13:35

I know that, strictly, speaking, cyclists shouldn't by law ride on the pavement. Personally, it doesn't bother me if they do, provided they cycle very carefully and slow right down when they pass pedestrians.

I'm not putting up a defence for my own behaviour - I haven't cycled for 50 years and would be far too frightened to cycle on London roads, and probably too much of a danger to pedestrians if I rode on the pavement.

The same applies to mobility scooters. Most people are considerate but there are always the few that are not.

mrsmopp Wed 26-Nov-14 00:01:57

Just to answer my own question:

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129. 65

mrsmopp Tue 25-Nov-14 23:57:28

Imagine if pedestrians all decided to stroll along the road instead of along the pavement. Drivers would be sounding their horns, swearing, yelling at people to get off the road, get out of the way, get back on the pavement where you belong, you are holding up the traffic etc etc. But pedestrians don't stroll along the middle of the road, they are sensible and they know their place is on the pavement.
So why can't cyclists understand that pavements are not for them; they should be either in a cycle lane, or on the road. What is so hard about that?
What does the highway code say? It's illegal to cycle on pavements, surely?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 23:38:44

I do not whizz and weave. And I get off and push the bike where there is people.

rubysong Tue 25-Nov-14 23:07:16

I know I've gone on about this before but I do wish cyclists would use the cycle track , provided at great cost, rather than the road. It's a road I use frequently and there's nearly always a cyclist on it, especially at weekends. The cycle track cost thousands. Why won't they use it? Safer for them and better for drivers.

tiggypiro Tue 25-Nov-14 22:33:56

It was the same when I was riding my pony. I used to stick my whip out to try and make them give me more room and once it hit the car which was passing me. And that was on an open road with lots of room.

tiggypiro Tue 25-Nov-14 22:30:53

I love my bike and use it whenever I can. As a driver too I obey the same rules of the road. I have a bell, lights and even a mirror, don't wear lycra but do wear a bright yellow flurescent jacket. Perhaps a driver who is not also a cyclist can explain to me why so many drivers think it is fine to pass me with only 6'' to spare.

rosesarered Tue 25-Nov-14 21:15:03

Well said mrsmopp I totally agree. If only we can convince Jingl to get back onto the road and leave the pavements to us non cyclists, we will have done a good job.
I have toyed with the idea of becoming a cyclist, I must admit, but then it rains and I long for the comfort of the car[ I just can't live without the car] so I will stay a non cyclist.grin

mrsmopp Tue 25-Nov-14 19:41:17

Please, cyclists, keep off the pavements. Do not whizz and weave through people who are trying to carry shopping, watching toddlers, pushing prams, walking the dog etc. I cannot hear you approaching even if you ring a bell, because i am profoundly deaf. I have had several occasions where a cyclist has missed me by inches and given me an awful shock. I do not have eyes in the back of my head.
Pavements are for pedestrians.
Roads are for cyclists.