Gransnet forums

Chat

Pope is anti granny

(81 Posts)
Galen Tue 25-Nov-14 18:39:42

I'm very upset to hear the pope describe Europe as being like a grandmother. Haggard, infertile and lacking in vitality!

How dare he!

rosequartz Thu 27-Nov-14 19:17:58

And why did he pick 'grandmother' as the analogy and not 'grandfather'?

harrigran Thu 27-Nov-14 19:03:02

Well that's rich coming from a dried up old prune of a Pontiff.

Lona Thu 27-Nov-14 16:28:48

You work there! Duh!!! Sorry smile

Lona Thu 27-Nov-14 16:26:55

hildajenniJ "Three hours in Waitrose vacuuming!" You are definitely not lacking in vitality! wink

lettie Thu 27-Nov-14 16:20:45

I am very disappointed in what the Roman Pontiff has chosen to say. I may or may not be infertile - haven't tested that out lately wink, but certainly consider myself vibrant. Yet again we have been defined by our reproductive arc.

Now might be the right time to share this:
Research into males and dancing (by Dr Peter Lovatt, University of Hertfordshire) produced the conclusion (among others) that males between 35 - 60 make complex dance moves with limited coordination ('dad-dancing'). The conclusion the researchers came to is that what they are unwittingly saying to younger women is 'stay away, I'm not fertile'.

As Dr Lovatt said: "It's like an apple that is going brown – you want a fresh green one instead."

Come on, public figures and role-models, use a bit more imagination when writing your speeches and cut the gender bias. We all change as we grow older, and not necessarily for the worse.

farmor51 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:09:27

Infertile? Hopefully by now! But Haggard and lacking in vitality. I look after my 1 year old (very lively) grandson to make it worthwhile for his parents to go to work, and you need a lot of vitality for that. It shows that in spite of his attempts to show himself as a modern pope, he still lives in the past where women only show their worth by having babies. Disgusting.

henetha Wed 26-Nov-14 15:28:08

Good point, gagagran. That's what I thought too.

rosesarered Wed 26-Nov-14 14:33:37

gillybob ! You are a mere whipper-snapper of a girl.Sounds young to me.smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 13:59:02

No! Don't put it to the test! #deso'conner shock

gillybob Wed 26-Nov-14 13:54:47

At 52, I wouldn't describe myself as young jingl and riverwalk but I am still quite fertile (if you know what I mean) wouldn't want to put it to the test though. shock

As for DH being even younger, thats a laugh. He's 11 years older !

hildajenniJ Wed 26-Nov-14 13:41:51

Who's lacking in vitality? I've just spent the morning baking loads of biscuits and making the lunch. All this after spending three hours in Waitrose vacuuming, dusting, cleaning loos and mopping floors. This afternoon the dog needs a walk. Has the Pope ever met a Grandmother I wonder?

annodomini Wed 26-Nov-14 13:10:04

I wonder if Hillary Clinton, now a granny, has heard of this analogy!

Purpledaffodil Wed 26-Nov-14 13:01:49

Sad because he has always come across as a pope of our times. Shame that a good speech contained such a crass analogy. Hope he gets a heavenly rebuke from St Anne, mother of Mary and hence grandmother of Jesus. Otherwise known as "Holy Annie God's Granny" to the less devout grin

pompa Wed 26-Nov-14 12:53:11

Perhaps I'm getting to like him more now. (only joking)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 12:25:54

I think popes (not just this one) can come across as being anti-women. Or, at the very least, consider women as less important beings.

KatyK Wed 26-Nov-14 12:13:49

Excuse me your popeship, I am not (very) haggard, I have quite a lot of vitality, I can run (quite fast actually) for the bus, run upstairs etc although at 65 I may qualify for being infertile. smile

Galen Wed 26-Nov-14 11:36:13

Who are the ones usually sitting by the fire, reading the newspaper etc while the women shop, cook, clean etc? It's not usually the grandmothers![tongue in cheek]grin
Ducks behind parapet.

Riverwalk Wed 26-Nov-14 10:32:33

gilly's young - her DH is even younger wink

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 10:12:11

Gillybob shock Good luck with that!

#legscrossedforgodssake

MargaretX Wed 26-Nov-14 09:54:02

I was surprised to hear him referring to grandmothers in that way and consider him to be ill advised in this modern age.
If Europe is so tired and haggard and wihout vitality then why are so many from Africa ( so vibrant and young) wanting to come here and join us together with people from all the other young democracies.

The ones in Germany love it because it is clean, there is food and warmth, and NO BOMBS. Thats what Europe is about. He as a South American who didn't have 2 world wars on his doorstep is not the one to criticise.

As gagagran says he could be describing the Vatican. Let him sort that out first.

Gagagran Wed 26-Nov-14 09:12:46

The thing that struck DH and me about his speech is that it could easily be describing the Vatican and the Catholic Church. Hypocrisy?

petallus Wed 26-Nov-14 08:54:00

Good post!

Rosannie Tue 25-Nov-14 23:46:42

Protest all you like, but there are stages of development for all organisms, countries, democracies and lives, we cannot change that
You might not like the analogy but we are all ageing, losing vibrancy and fertility. We can't stem the tide for our own mortality but maybe policy makers and revolutionaries can change the fortunes of countries

gillybob Tue 25-Nov-14 22:31:42

Well pardon me Mr Pope but I am not infertile . Silly old buffoon !

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 22:01:50

Sometimes he strikes me as being a bit unfair. Most governments in europe are trying hard for the benefit of all their citizens.

Some good remarks about the family. And education.