Gransnet forums

Chat

Like father like son

(16 Posts)
FlicketyB Mon 02-Mar-15 17:02:41

In our case it is father and daughter, mother and son.

DD, like her father can put her hand to anything from laying her own drive to fine needlework. Well actually, DH doesn't do needlework but he can do technical things that require the same skills. He is a Chartered engineer with musical talents who went back to university to study music. DD started with a drama training and is now doing an OU degree in physics and engineering.

DS and I are both dyspraxic and anything requiring fine motor control is beyond us. DS developed an early interest in history and archaeology, my early interest was history. We both lack the mathematical and spatial skills possessed by the other members of the family.

pinkprincess Sun 01-Mar-15 19:16:16

All of my DGC are from DS2. His third daughter is a female version of him.She s also the spitting image of my paternal grandmother, and has the red hair to match.
DS2 is very artistic and two of his children are the same, his youngest daughter has already excelled herself at school in art.
His only son looks exactly like him, but he is autistic so it is hard to find any matching traits.
I have an old photo of my mother's paternal grandmother whom I never knew. Her face and features are exactly the same as my youngest granddaughter's. It is rather peculiar seeing this lady sitting stiffly on a chair in a long black Edwardian dress with my granddaughter's 12 year old face.
My DH has a photo of his father, whom I also never knew, in his army uniform and he looks just like DS1.

In complete contrast, my oldest granddaughter is a Maths graduate. No one in the family has been any good at Maths.

glammanana Sat 28-Feb-15 18:11:01

DGD rolls her eyes in the exact same manner as her mother did its like groundhog day when you think back quite scary really grin

Granoveve Sat 28-Feb-15 15:27:39

DD was stroppy. DGD is bidding to be the same! grin

ninathenana Fri 27-Feb-15 15:48:16

loopyloo my late FiL was a pattern cutter for a firm of ladies taylors. He made SiL wedding dress. The only thing DH can cut is wood grin
DH aunt (mothers sister) made embroidered and sequined waistcoats worn by various rock stars in the 60s-70s.

annodomini Fri 27-Feb-15 09:34:03

GD (aged12) looks like her mother (my DiL). Mum is very sporty and still playing netball; GD does not like team sports, but is a good swimmer and loves her skiing holidays. Mum is a maths teacher, daughter likes books and drama. GS has maths and computing talents and looks nothing like either of his parents but perhaps gets his kindly nature from my DS.

Gagagran Fri 27-Feb-15 08:26:24

My eldest DGD is absolutely nothing like her parents - DD and DSiL, who are both quiet, serious people. DGD loves fashion and drama, is extrovert, very affectionate and chatty. We think she must take after her long missing paternal Grandfather because she is a one-off otherwise!

I think people see what they want to see in their offspring - "Oh he's got great-uncle Shadrack's nose" etc. Children are a unique mix of all the genes they inherit so they are bound to have some recognisable ones occasionally.

loopyloo Fri 27-Feb-15 07:59:38

My GD at 4yrs is also cutting things up with her scissors and my sister was a pattern cutter and lokking at the family tree lots of people were tailors or waist coat makers.

Falconbird Tue 24-Feb-15 07:21:38

My son did the same thing when he was about 14. He taught himself how to programme on a very basic computer. My husband and I were amazed. He's now working in computers at a high level. My husband was a Systems Analyst.

My son's little boy is only 7 but he is so confident around the new technology and obviously has a flair for it.

I certainly take after my dad's two sisters. When I was about 8 one of my aunts said that as soon as I started drawing, writing little stories and talking about the names of wild flowers she knew I was like them and not much like my mum. I even look more like my aunts. Fascinating.

tanith Mon 23-Feb-15 14:15:37

My son is in computers and from an early age used to take over his Dads very early computer and taught himself to program and whatever else it is he does confused, now his son although very young likes to sit on Dads lap while he is working at home and watches his every move then goes off to find an ipad he can 'play' with.. they have to hide it so he doesn't spend too much time 'playing'..

grannyactivist Mon 23-Feb-15 14:07:40

In lots of ways my grandson is very like his mother was at the same age - and sometimes he says and does things that she can actually remember doing herself. If it's something she'd rather he wasn't doing she tells him off, but her heart isn't in it because she identifies so strongly with how she used to do the same things herself. hmm

TriciaF Mon 23-Feb-15 14:00:17

Eldest son has a nature like my Dad's, second son mostly like ex-husband (his father.)
But they both have other elements of their own.
I've heard a theory that male children take after the mother's brothers, females take after their father's sisters. But don't know how much truth there is in that.

annodomini Mon 23-Feb-15 09:40:22

There's a history of mathematicians on both sides of DS and DiL's families. Paternal GF had a maths degree; DiL is a maths graduate and teacher. DGS (10) looks like following in their footsteps. He's also a computer geek.

harrigran Mon 23-Feb-15 09:10:37

DS is very artistic and GD1 has been drawing since she was 18 months old and is now very good at art and design. Yesterday GD told me that she would like to go to Italy for her holidays so she can see the art. DS is also an Astronomer and GD likes to go with him to star camps and Aurora watching in Iceland.
GD2, on the other hand, likes princesses and cuddles and my little pony and did not pick up a pencil until she was four.

ninathenana Mon 23-Feb-15 08:46:22

Ex SiL is an amateur mechanic and mad about cars. Both DGS are becoming as obsessed. 6 yr old can recognise every car badge, as well as naming most of what's under the bonnet.

NanKate Mon 23-Feb-15 07:08:43

A few weeks back my 4 year old GS asked me what day of the week it was. I said Sunday, oh good he said it must be Movie Night.

We all settled down to watch 'Despicable Me'. Throughout the film he kept asking questions about the plot line and the characters.

It took me back about 35 years when my DS did exactly the same and has been a film fan ever since.

Do you see any replication in the interests of your grandchildren with their parents?