Gransnet forums

Chat

When it comes to obtuseness...

(61 Posts)
thatbags Wed 15-Apr-15 06:52:01

...MrBags is up there with the champs. After a 4010 start, I'm just back from accompanying him to Glasgow Airport (so that I could drive the car back). On the way he was fidgeting with his coat while driving. Then he said: "Have you got your phone with you?"
Me: Yes.
Him: Can I have it?
Me: Then what would I have?
Him: My iPhone.
Me: Where is it?
Him: On the bed.

Then followed a conversation of my phone lock pin as he'll have to switch it off on the plane, and talk about the ocntact addresses he needs which, naturally, are on his iPhone. Blah, blah.

Who else, like me, would just have said: "Blast! I've left my phone on the bed. Can I borrow yours?" right at the beginning?

pompa Sat 18-Apr-15 13:17:38

Newist, I think DH was a bit rash there, cooked his goose. I admit there are occasional moments when us guys get it wrong smile

loopylou Sat 18-Apr-15 13:09:01

You're not odd not drinking vampirequeen!
I rarely drink alcohol mainly because after an eggcupful I'm tiddly hmm DH used to say I was very cheap to take out - if I open a bottle of wine nowadays it would go off long before it was finished........or I use it for cooking.

How lovely to have such a caring DH too!

NotTooOld Sat 18-Apr-15 10:44:49

vampirequeen, that sounds like a very good situation to be in. My DH is very keen to look after me at the mo as I am only 6 weeks post op after a THR. This is great and I know I am lucky but I have to keep reminding myself not to exert my independence too much! I am going to start training him to let me go up and downstairs on my own as from next week. smile

vampirequeen Sat 18-Apr-15 09:54:24

My dad had a very high power job. His PA did everything to make sure his work life ran smoothly and my mum did everything to make sure his home life ran smoothly. I think I just learned my behaviour from my mum. I do everything I can to make DH's life smooth. He on the other hand was dragged up (in the worst case you can think of) and is very self sufficient which leads to our only source of conflict which is when I want to look after him and he wants to look after me grin

vampirequeen Sat 18-Apr-15 09:49:56

No need to apologise, Pompa. I know I'm odd not drinking. It's not that I have anything against it. I just don't like the flavour. I used to add lemonade to wine but that upset a friend because I was contaminating a good wine grin

I'm not very good at being drunk either. I don't get happy. I just fall asleep no matter how loud the music or where we are blush

newist Sat 18-Apr-15 09:37:33

pompa He looked out the window and said "there's plenty water now even for you"

pompa Sat 18-Apr-15 09:09:41

BTW. Mrs. P thinks I've pushed my luck too far and she will give me a real kicking rather than a virtual one. grin

pompa Sat 18-Apr-15 09:07:53

Apologies for suggesting you had too many wine, musts have been strong brew then.
That's just how a man should be, look out for his loved one (while she quietly ensures he has his phone etc.) smile

vampirequeen Sat 18-Apr-15 09:04:09

I don't drink alcohol, Pompa. I have to admit that I am totally spoilt by my DH. He's not emasculated. In fact he's an Alpha male.

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 20:49:32

May I ask who's job it was to check the tide tables before you set out ?

newist Fri 17-Apr-15 20:06:16

My DH has just blamed me because the tide sneaked up and moved my kayak as he was pulling me out, so he let go and dropped me in the sea. It was totally my fault that I ended up sitting in the sea an hour ago

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 19:23:59

"but then me mollycoddles me too" how many wine wine wine wine have you had ?

vampirequeen Fri 17-Apr-15 19:11:49

I have decided to use the box and simply put the appropriate tablets in his hand at the appropriate time. I will also supply him with a glass of water/cup of tea to wash them down.

He's not emasculated btw just mollycoddled but then me mollycoddles me too grin

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 18:06:14

Mrs. P has honed her skills to perfection, I hardly ever find the need to thank her.

loopylou Fri 17-Apr-15 17:44:41

pompa I think you're perfectly positioned for a quick kick on the shins to offer the aforementioned course on line for those of use lacking the requisite skills. Or to offer husband training courses for DHs who lack the ability to learn to appreciate their SO's efforts quickly! grin

pompa Fri 17-Apr-15 17:37:44

NumberPlease, you obvious need to go on an "Improve Your Wifeing" course. this will teach you how to execute your wifely duties without being noticed. When you learn this skill it will save you the embarrassment of being thanked for your efforts.

numberplease Fri 17-Apr-15 17:18:55

Vampirequeen, it`s all very well having one of those tablet dispenser boxes, but what about when your husband takes the tablets for the wrong day, or worse, doesn`t take them at all? It`s always my fault say our kids, I`m supposed to hover and make sure he takes them, but if IN do, I get accused of being a pain in the rear end!

annodomini Thu 16-Apr-15 21:18:02

pompa, I'm beginning to think you could be writing a book about husbanding and wifing!

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 20:55:36

I need a cold shower once in a while.

loopylou Thu 16-Apr-15 20:39:21

'Older models'.........beyond retraining I assume? A dear friend of mine widowed at 60, said she wouldn't remarry as it would take far too long to train another man, perhaps she is right!

pompa me thinks you're treading on treacherously thin ice .......grin

rosesarered Thu 16-Apr-15 19:47:32

JaneRowena lucky you, what a young DH you have! we all have to make do with much older models.

pompa Thu 16-Apr-15 16:53:04

'sloppy husbanding', can't see how there could be such a thing.
The ironing thing is ok (ish).
"Sloppy wifing" is not taking responsibility for those things far too trivial for today's man to be expected to remember.

Granne72 Thu 16-Apr-15 16:37:44

Stansgran love the check list blush
Pompa I am intrigued by the idea of 'sloppy wifing'. Does letting DH do his own ironing count? or is it more subtle than that? What is the opposite of 'sloppy wifing'?
More to the point what constitutes 'sloppy husbanding' ?

janerowena Wed 15-Apr-15 23:35:55

We've spent the day in Cambridge doing just that - all the things he should have taken back to uni with him, but forgot. He also went off with two of his father's library books that he had been convinced that he had left on his bed.

oldgirl2 Wed 15-Apr-15 23:27:21

That should be smile