Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotter shoe company award

(78 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 21:16:33

I heard on the news that Hotter Shoes won an award recently, but maybe somebody should tell them we are not happy with shoes that disintegrate if not worn enough?

mrsmopp Mon 27-Apr-15 23:54:08

I have had the soles of Ecco shoes disintegrate more than once so I never buy Ecco any more. They are not as well made as they used to be. I have has Ecco that lasted years.
Hotter has never let me down, they are well made and durable.
My cobbler told me that many manufacturers are now using cheaper materials and do not make shoes to last any more. Including Clarks!

rosequartz Mon 27-Apr-15 18:09:22

One scarcely worn smartish pair of Hotter sandals off to the charity shop, after an afternoon spent wearing them with socks and sprayed with leather stretcher. Still uncomfortable, I think the leather stretcher may have stretched my feet not the sandals. [grumpy]

alternativegran Mon 27-Apr-15 18:06:19

Now I know why the soles of my lovely light ECCO walking shoes disintegrated.

How dare the shoe manufacturers use materials that are not fit for purpose, shame on them, I can visualise a mountain of shoes that can't even be sent abroad to give to people who cant afford shoes. Perhaps some ecologically minded shoe manufacturer will see a business opportunity and make shoes that last.

rosequartz Mon 27-Apr-15 14:05:21

Posted before amended and finished!

They are ancient and hardly worn because I am forever looking for comfort but can't bear to throw them out if they are uncomfortable; I keep promising them that I will try them again - one day!

In fact I am going to put on a nice (5 years old worn twice) pair of sandals with socks and spray them with leather easer in a minute.

Mine are all carefully put away for the winter in cardboard boxes. Wrong!

tanith Mon 27-Apr-15 14:02:15

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't gone and looked at their website, as now all my web pages have adverts for Hotter shoes on them and its getting on my nerves.

rosequartz Mon 27-Apr-15 14:00:20

Does this mean that some of my very ancient, hardly wirn shoes and sandals should be OK?

J52 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:42:56

Just worn my year old, pale blue, summer Hotter shoes around Spain for a week. Perfect as the day they were bought.
Stored on a rack in a cupboard all winter. x

ginny Mon 27-Apr-15 11:43:10

Thanks POGS I hadn't noticed that. My shoes are stored on a rack in the garage so air circulates around all the time. Hopefully this means they will be ok.

janerowena Mon 27-Apr-15 11:11:04

I am going upstairs to cuddle my shoes and cry.

www.iol.co.za/the-star/want-your-comfort-shoes-to-last-wear-them-don-t-store-them-1.1310597#.VT4J2Wd0wdU

Luckily I live in the driest county in the UK.

It appears to me, that cupboards and boxes are not good, because they need air circulating around them to breathe. I have been keeping my very expensive boots in their boxes, not in the lovely built-in shoe wall rack that DBH built me in a sort of L-shaped open cupboard off our bedroom, so they will be moved today. I do have to dust the shoes occasionally before I wear them, but it's a small price to pay. He had been going to make a door for it, but I shall tell him not to.

Soutra Mon 27-Apr-15 08:41:35

Seriously (?) if I find a pair of shoes that I really like, fit well, are comfortable and look good, I like to have them in more than one colour and have even been known to have two pairs the same as my shoes can look "well worn" quite quickly and if I am unlikely to find a particular style again, I have a pair to spare. Now I wonder if they are crumbling away in the wardrobe as I write sad

POGS Mon 27-Apr-15 08:37:42

Ginny

See post 24th Apr 08.30. Apparently yes.

ginny Mon 27-Apr-15 08:22:13

I checked all my hotter shoes and sandals yesterday, some of which are about 5 years old. There doesn't seem to be any problem with any of them. Do you think it makes a difference where they are kept ?

rosequartz Sun 26-Apr-15 22:42:54

That's the way the sandal crumbles, aggie
[groan]

aggie Sun 26-Apr-15 22:29:15

I saw a pair of summer sandals advertised and the colour was CRUMBLE cream lol

rosesarered Sun 26-Apr-15 10:57:33

Fat finger syndrome or the iPad substituting words for you?grin

rosequartz Sun 26-Apr-15 10:40:49

This tab can't spell today

rosequartz Sun 26-Apr-15 10:40:13

Oh no, better try them then; I was just going to pack them for my holidays.
I only have one Hotter pair though, fairly smart and extremely uncomfortable - wirn a couple of times and threatened with the charity shop.
I hope they are 'Like Cornbread Crumbled in Gravy'

rosesarered Sun 26-Apr-15 10:21:55

Songs;
Walking In A Winter Wonderland. (Hope the boots hold up!)
Walkin' To Noo Orlins( that's the way Fats Domino sings it, that man has soul, hope his shoes do too!)
Walk Right Back To Me This Minute ( but don't make a mess of the carpet.)
Walking Back To Happiness (are you sure about that?)

I have now run out of walking songs,oh wait,
I Love To Go A Wandering ( with a spare pairof trainers on my back.)smile

rosesarered Sun 26-Apr-15 10:12:56

RoseQ, you won't know until you actually wear them, that seems to be the problem, I went out for the evening last night, and as it was pouring down and I was walking there, I wore my Clarks boots which I have hardly worn all Winter as it has been mild. thankfully they were fine.

rosequartz Sun 26-Apr-15 09:48:37

I must get my summer sandals out and see if they are crumbling like pastries

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 23:57:05

Me too! grin

moon

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 23:47:27

You'll Never Walk Alone ( there will be a trail of black crumbly stuff behind you!)
Keep On Running ( you need to wear them in)
Blue Suede shoes ( lovely, but don't just put them in the cupboard.)
any others?There must be lots of shoe hits out there, but it's late and I need my bed.

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 23:43:38

Well, the last line would have to be sung a bit fast to get the words in, but it was the best I could do! grin

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 23:40:56

I'm impressed! I can hear it playing now.smile

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 23:17:18

These boots were made for walking
Don't store them or you'll find
One of these days these boots are gonna
Crumble and mess with your mind...hmm