Gransnet forums

Chat

Fridge magnets

(18 Posts)
Nansypansy Wed 01-Jul-15 05:44:50

I used to think fridge magnets were 'tacky' but now I like them. However, I do not like them bought for me and only like the ones I've bought from where I've holidayed myself.

soontobe Tue 30-Jun-15 20:26:42

I have grown to like fridge magnets. I used to have too many, but the kids have reclaimed most of them hmm. I am anticipating some from them as christmas presents.

Mishap Tue 30-Jun-15 17:38:01

We went to stay in a gite owned by some friends of ours, and there were fridge magnets with Shakespearean words on. We created some very risque poems with them that caused our friends great amusement when they next went over to France!

annodomini Tue 30-Jun-15 15:04:46

I have a fridge magnet with a picture of a woman, and the caption: 'She was not always right but she was always articulate'. The fact that my sister sent it is significant. grin

rosesarered Tue 30-Jun-15 14:04:41

Kitty..grin love it! we have built in fridge and freezer now so miss all the magnets bought for us over the years.We used to have a good one of a bad tempered owl which said ' I've only got one nerve left, and you're getting on it! '

KatyK Tue 30-Jun-15 10:15:29

Not sad Annie. You like who you like and that's that smile We saw them filming Doc Martin in Port Isaac a few years ago. Martin Clunes was lovely, posing for photos and chatting to bystanders - sorry a bit off subject there.

Anniebach Tue 30-Jun-15 10:00:39

KatyK, you george magnet isn't sad, I have one my younger daughter bought me from Cornwall, that policeman in Doc Martin, no idea what his name is, that is sad

kittylester Tue 30-Jun-15 07:17:36

Another one of my favourites is 'Save the planet - it's the only one with chocolate'

numberplease Tue 30-Jun-15 03:20:48

I have a good few, always buy at least one every holiday, and a few have been brought back by others. I like them.

chloe1984 Mon 29-Jun-15 09:36:59

I try and bring one back from holiday among my favourites - growing old is when getting lucky means finding your car in the car park.....

KatyK Mon 29-Jun-15 09:32:00

I've got loads! They attract me like magnets (sorry). My two favourites are one bought by my DD after DGD was born which says 'welcome to grandma's house, children spoilt (or spoiled) while you wait' and one I bought in Liverpool which simply says George, it is a picture of George Harrison's face (sad but true!).

Lilygran Mon 29-Jun-15 09:16:29

We used to have alphabets and numbers and some very interesting messages. I'd love some fridge poetry but our new fridge is aluminium.

Teetime Mon 29-Jun-15 09:05:08

I trained as an Infection Control Nurse under an ex army major who siting such objects as fridge magnets would bark at the miscreant - 'Unnecessary Clutter Impedes Good Cleaning'. I don't have fridge magnets! grin

Mishap Mon 29-Jun-15 08:46:26

My son-i-l bought me one that says: "Dinner will be served when the smoke alarm goes off." Well thanks.

hildajenniJ Mon 29-Jun-15 08:26:27

I can't have fridge magnets. My fridge is in a built-in unit with doors to match the rest of the kitchen. sad

Brendawymms Mon 29-Jun-15 08:03:57

I also buy them whilst on holiday. They are small, pretty and not expensive. The DGC love to re arrange them.

kittylester Mon 29-Jun-15 08:01:05

That's lovely absent!

I've got loads of fridge madnets as I buy them as souvenirs from holidays and musicals. But, my favourite is 'Every mother is a working woman'.

absent Mon 29-Jun-15 07:43:09

Cod philosophy – but I do have a bunch of them. The one I like best was part of my Mothers' Day card this year: Mothers are like buttons – they hold things together.