Gransnet forums

Chat

What is your most versatile item of clothing

(35 Posts)
etheltbags1 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:51:22

I found out the versatility of leggings this summer and wore them over a loose top to hide my op bump (no not a baby bump regretfully), I used to wear them occasionally under my trousers for work in the cold and then wear them off as pyjamas in the winter. They must be, for me the most versatile item of clothing ever invented. They come second to my cardis which are worn over t shirts, jumpers, bathing costume and under coats, waterptroofs etc according to the weather.
Just wondered what is anyone elses opinions on what is their most versatile item of clothing

rubylady Tue 04-Aug-15 17:18:14

My pyjama bottoms/lounge pants. I wear these most days (when I am not in my nightie on a bad day) and put my at home bra on (the one I pull over my head but does nothing for me in the uplift department (hmm), and a top on too. Then I feel semi dressed for in the house. Talking of bending over in them though, I have just done that in front of the gas man, I bet the sun got blocked from his view there for a moment although he gave a good view of his builders bum too when he bent down! blush

I do wear these pants in the house, sometimes for bed,decorate in a pair, but I can get away (I think) with nipping to the shop across the road in them with my coat on and shoes, I hope they look like proper pants, but probably don't. Still, I haven't been run in yet, so all's well. grin

henbane Mon 03-Aug-15 18:53:58

Cargo trousers/shorts depending on season! OK they are the antithesis of smart - but sooo practical for everyday out and about. Bus pass/credit cards/phone/shopping list can all go in the pockets where you can reach them one handed without taking off your backpack or dropping your walking stick!

EmilyHarburn Mon 03-Aug-15 14:43:20

I have pink, turquoise, and royal blue jeans. I wear the pink the most as so many different tops go with them.

cangran Mon 03-Aug-15 14:03:35

Slim black stretchy trousers/treggings/jeans - live in them in the winter especially, with tunic or long jumper on top to hide the bulges; comfy and casual but can look smart too with scarf/jewellery/nice boots.

glammanana Mon 03-Aug-15 08:46:12

My collection of big oversized scarf's are a staple need for me I can wrap them in many different ways for all kinds of looks,they look good on holiday around the waist over swimsuits or tied above the bust line,I have been using some as a sling over the past few weeks to jazz up the horrible nylon sling thing I got from the hospital so they have been very handy indeed,any plain outfit can be dressed up with a blingy scarf,even my staple jeans and tee-shirt.

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Aug-15 23:09:54

I always wear a tunic or dress that ends between mid thigh and the knee. And never white !!

janerowena Sun 02-Aug-15 23:03:31

I do indeed check my back view! I only wear longer tunic tops or dresses with my leggings. Usually mid way between groin and knee I suppose.

Tegan Sun 02-Aug-15 19:06:05

If I'm not wearing a long'ish tunic I wear a fleece or some sort of jumper tied round my waist. I've always tended to do that anyway as summer clothing for me is sleeveless vest top with loose shirt over that and something round my waist in case it gets chilly. So yucky tops of arms, bum and thighs are pretty well covered.

Pittcity Sun 02-Aug-15 18:09:43

I only wear mine with dresses so bum is well covered and always with good under crackers of the same colour. Shorter tops need proper trousers!

Ana Sun 02-Aug-15 18:02:08

grin

I just hope all you leggings-loving grans check your back view before you go out and about in them - and whatever you do, don't bend over!

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 17:58:06

I am so pleased for you - I wouldn't ;) Any see--through white ones ?

Tegan Sun 02-Aug-15 17:40:32

I feel comfortably invisible when I wear them granjura [at least, I think/hope that I do].

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 16:57:21

hmm 'why' not 'why not' ...

granjura Sun 02-Aug-15 16:03:56

black jeans too. I'm afraid leggings are just not for me- and I must say I am amazed to see so many women, especially young women- who really would be better with loose trousers than leggings- especially with shorter tops. I mean, I am chubby, so why not wear something that is so obliviously unflattering and makes you look even fatter??? Why?

Pittcity Sun 02-Aug-15 09:58:15

Cardigans and leggings, both of which mean than Summer clothes can be worn for more than one week a year wink
I regularly have a cardi in my bag to add a layer when needed.

grannyzanny Sun 02-Aug-15 00:31:15

Cotton 'hippie' trousers. I have several pairs and seem to live in them at the moment as they are so comfy smile

Tegan Sat 01-Aug-15 21:52:05

I now live in leggings and have bought them in all different lengths. They're also much more comfortable than jeans when I fall asleep watching television [most nights blush]. And take up hardly any room in the suitcase if I'm packing to go somewhere.

etheltbags1 Sat 01-Aug-15 21:43:24

I agree about the black jeans, I wear them for all sorts of occasions and as Ive said on here before until recently I just wore black trousers and had a few black tops with the jeans for weekends as Im not allowed them for my job, but since buying the summery patterned tops I realise I like coloured things and as long as my bottom is black I wear bright coloured tops.
stansgran I love denim skirts, I had a couple years ago and got rid of them as I preferred black but I really fancy a new denim skirt as they wash well and are so comfy.

Stansgran Sat 01-Aug-15 20:08:08

Denim skirts galore, all shades of denim ,long straight full,flared also a lovely denim jacket suggested by Gransnet from Orvis years ago. I don't do double denim . I have chino skirts and far too many striped long sleeved tops. I look like Max Wall in leggings or skinny jeans. Deeply embarrassing.

rosesarered Sat 01-Aug-15 20:01:19

Scarves of all kinds and cardies

whitewave Sat 01-Aug-15 10:00:52

Often clothes that turn out really useful are often not purchased with usefulness in mind. I have a summers dress which was bought for a posh occasion but I turn to it again and again even though it is getting on in years it doesn't date and is so comfortable.

KatyK Sat 01-Aug-15 09:52:29

A pair of well worn Levi's. I also agree re the black jeans.

shysal Sat 01-Aug-15 09:34:31

I agree with Teetime. I have a few pairs of NYDJ black jeans, which can be smartened up with a jacket, worn casually with a T shirt, or somewhere between with a pretty top.

Teetime Sat 01-Aug-15 09:04:23

Black jeans - can be smart or casual depending on how you dress them up or down.

gillybob Sat 01-Aug-15 08:51:03

Try them with a longer style tunic loopylou then you will just feel like you are wearing thick tights. Anyone can wear leggings.

well anyone except our friend Absent grin