Gransnet forums

Chat

A day off.

(31 Posts)
Teetime Mon 03-Aug-15 08:43:27

I've got a day off today. DH has just left to go on a days Bowls Coaching Course and I breathed a sigh of relief as he left. That sounds horrible doesn't it but now and again in this retirement life I need a break from DH roaring round the house in the morning with a very noisy hoover, raging against the latest items on the news and recycling all his much heard views on parenting vis a vis GS. So I'm off to the osteopath and then the gym and then a free afternoon in which I plan to do nothing. He said he might come back at lunchtime - I hope they keep them busy!! grin

NanKate Thu 13-Aug-15 19:47:33

Yes Cherry he did catch man flu and have an eye infection, but to be honest he made little fuss about it, unlike me who likes to loll on a chaise longue and read my book. hmm

Cherrytree59 Wed 12-Aug-15 16:24:29

Yes Nonnie I think I will take a lesson from you. As I hadn't considered the knock on advantages it might have(grin). On the plus side when DH does retire there won't be all the shirts to iron! Tomorrow should be my day off which I shall try to make the most esp if I get sunny day in the garden (smille) I think we will be entering our third age! Only prob is we seem to be squigged between the fourth age (MiL) 1st + 2nd ages offspring + grandchildren all who we love bits but doesn't make for many days off. Its the overwheling feeling of close proximity that you mention Nankate that worries me. Glad even with rotton cold you managed some R+R! Did DH catch man flu? (Grin)

Nonnie Wed 12-Aug-15 11:58:08

Cherry let him take over the kitchen, it works. It also means he has to do the shopping because he knows what he needs. I seem to have convinced DH that he doesn't like me going to the supermarket with him because I rush around and confuse him. As I don't stack the dishwasher 'properly' he has to do that too which means the kitchen really is his including washing the floor as he is the one who makes the mess. Obviously cleaning the cooker is his chore too. Take a lesson from me!

In the meantime I have taken over the garden (apart from the lawns as he likes machines). Washing and ironing are always mine. Some other tasks we share.

NanKate Tue 11-Aug-15 22:02:43

What a relief to know that others too feel overwhelmed by living in close proximity during retirement. DH recently went to help with the grandchildren while I stayed home with a rotten cold.

It was total bliss I watched in bed a few episodes of a good series on Amazon Prime when I would normally would gave been up and about.

I lay down and snoozed whenever I felt tired without DH saying 'Are you ill ?'

I drank a whole bottle of wine over 3 days which is a lot for me. wine

I cooked no proper meals, just things on toast.

I watched Tennis each afternoon.

I went out for morning coffee and bought myself a coconut curry in a pot which I only had to stick in the microwave.

I felt guilty for being so self indulgent but I would repeat it all over again given half a chance. grin

apricot Tue 11-Aug-15 20:03:13

You know the old saying about retirement, "I married you for better or worse but not for lunch every day"

Cherrytree59 Tue 11-Aug-15 19:57:40

A big thankyou for your welcome ! All your imput is appreciated . I would love to know how hildajennij gets on as my DH doesn't retire untll next September so a few months after hilda's DH. I have tried tactfully to suggest we are not joined at the hip(smile) as even now when has day off will follow me from room to room. On the up side DH likes to cook so thinking of signing kitchen over to him. I am definitly going to make the most of any day off I get between now + D day!

Tegan Tue 11-Aug-15 11:55:33

There was an article in one of the weekend newspapers about relationships and there was a list of things you should do at the start of a new relationship, and one of them was to establish straight away how much personal space each person needed within the relationship. Difficult in some ways, I guess, in that, at the start of a relationship young couples are quite happy to spend as much time as possible with each other.Gets more complicated with relationships as you get older when you find that both parties are trying to re create their [failed] marriages in some way. Annoyingly my ex did feel pushed away by my desire for solitude and yet he is now in a similar relationship with someone else and is happy whereas I'm in a 'joined at the hip' relationship #thatservesmeright!

Nonnie Tue 11-Aug-15 10:54:35

There is of course the famous quote "I married him for better or worse but not for lunch" which I totally agree with!

We manage really well and don't get on each others nerves (well not much!) as we seem to have evolved a way or working based on the differences between us. We have two cups of coffee in bed together in the morning when anything important gets discussed. I am not a breakfast person but have to eat something with my meds so I get a yoghurt and take it to my 'office', switch on laptop and eat it while catching up with emails etc.

Himself takes for ever to get up, shave etc but when he eventually comes downstairs he brings me coffee. I want lunch earlier than him as he has a 'proper' breakfast so we each get our own. I am a news junkie and he is not so I listen to the radio and he reads teletext for the sport. That is pretty much it for the rest of the day when we meet up for dinner and often spend the evenings together.

Yes, we do things together when we want to do the same thing but if our paths don't cross during the day that is fine too. Today we will be holding ladders for each other in the garden at some point and doing our own thing the rest of the day. We even email each other with diary dates and other things which don't need to be discussed.

I think problems would start if we felt we had to do everything together.

annsixty Tue 11-Aug-15 09:53:25

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but DH has been retired for 24 years -yes really-and I still haven't come to terms with it. I hated it from the start. The guilt I have felt over it stays with me. This could also go in the I confess thread.....

Teetime Tue 11-Aug-15 09:08:01

Welcome cherrytree and this is for *hilda8 too. It takes a bit of time to get used to and initially it will feel like a staycation and you may be tempted as we were to go out to lunch and tea an awful lot and we put on weight so beware of that one. The important thing is to have some things you do together and some things you do independently. You will probably explore a number of pastimes/hobbies/volunteering until you settle on something that works for you both. I estimate it took us a good 2 to 3 years before we settled to a pattern especially the division of labour around the house. Routines and rituals are important to us but not everyone e.g. we have certain days of the week we always do certain things - unless of course we change our minds smile Good luck with it and tell us how you are getting on.

hildajenniJ Tue 11-Aug-15 08:51:17

Welcome cherrytree59. I am in a similar position to you. My DH retires next May, and can't wait. I don't know how I will cope with him around all the time. I'll have to occupy him with gardening, and keep him in the greenhouse for as long as possible. grin

merlotgran Mon 10-Aug-15 22:33:43

Tomorrow will be my day off as DH will be fishing. I caught up with the ironing and housework today so I can have a relaxing day doing sod all very little other than sticking something in the slow cooker for supper.

Cherrytree59 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:21:40

Hi this is all new to me just joined GN. My DH is retirng next year. I'm used to having house to my-self (when not looking after g/sons)
I know I should be looking forward to this time, he certainly is, counting days hours + minutes to the big day! I would be grateful for any Survival tips for 24hrs house sharing.

Teetime Mon 10-Aug-15 11:55:40

DH is in the bat cave putting together his portfolio for his coaching course so I might get some Netflix time to myself.

ninathenana Mon 10-Aug-15 11:24:16

I never truly get a day off as adult non working son is still living here.
Though most of the time he's in his room.

Teetime Mon 10-Aug-15 10:26:58

Well I should have had a day off today but England beat Australia so the Test match is finished - isn't life unfair. grin

Teetime Tue 04-Aug-15 09:58:07

Yesterday was lovely but I did miss him and today he has a bowls meeting so I have the morning off too but I'm going to Zumba Gold and then we are going to the garden centre for lunch - howling gale again here!

AshTree Tue 04-Aug-15 09:30:31

I too love it when I have the house to myself. I rarely get a whole day, but DH plays golf once or twice a week and that's half a day usually. He will also quite often walk our DC's dogs for them and that gives me the opportunity to sneak out of the house and take myself off somewhere without him saying he'll come with me grin

rubylady Tue 04-Aug-15 02:07:53

I'm loving the school holidays! angry Not really angry, just used to doing my own thing and now my DS is home, playing his guitar to me (still learning so no real tune as yet), showing me things on youtube, putting songs on left right and centre down my ear hole, pining for his friend/wannabe girlfriend til she comes home from her hols, eating all my treats (until he found the joke chilli sweets, grin), telling me I shouldn't be buying rubbish off ebay (how dare he!), leaving his litter and walking away and there's another six weeks to go yet!

I shouldn't moan, he is in college for a couple of hours a day this week to show the new year 7's round for starting in September so I do get some peace. But I'm just enjoying the solitude and he comes howling through the door like the hurricane he has always been and gone is serenity. confused

Anya Mon 03-Aug-15 14:04:44

Oh yes, I know what you mean. I occasionally manage to get DH to go away for a few days to visit his sister or play golf.

I race around tidying up as soon as he goes , and the house stays tidy and peaceful.

Absolute bliss sunshine

Coolgran65 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:56:26

Enjoy.
I love my DH..... I also love the house to myself on occasion.

Teetime Mon 03-Aug-15 12:13:12

Thank you ginny all appointments done- now to a lengthy shower and body housework generally then it's the sofa and Netflix!

ginny Mon 03-Aug-15 11:11:27

Enjoy your day Teetime and feel no guilt. No matter how much we love someone, we still need a break sometimes.

vampirequeen Mon 03-Aug-15 09:21:07

I loved it when my ex wasn't around. I could breathe.

rosesarered Mon 03-Aug-15 09:07:48

Sounds good, Teetime, we all need a break from them sometimes!grin