Gransnet forums

Chat

What's the best thing about retirement?

(88 Posts)
LyndaW Wed 26-Aug-15 10:37:06

I'm due to retire next year. Although I'm obviously looking forward to it, I'm also feeling quite anxious. So to put my nerves to bed, I'd love to hear what others think is the best thing about being retired? smile

Luckygirl Wed 26-Aug-15 10:47:38

It is 10.45 am and I have just eaten my breakfast!

kittylester Wed 26-Aug-15 11:01:08

being busy and useful! And what Luckygirl said!! Just not every day!

J52 Wed 26-Aug-15 11:02:03

Not getting up at 6am. Not having to rush. Not doing all the week ahead's ironing/ other chores on a Sunday evening. Being able to go on holiday at a moments notice. Spending time with my DH and friends.

Choosing what to do when!

x

petra Wed 26-Aug-15 11:03:21

Not having to take orders from prats.

PRINTMISS Wed 26-Aug-15 11:08:28

Just enjoy it, surprising how easy it is to eventually get used to doing what you like when you like.

whitewave Wed 26-Aug-15 11:11:05

I am happy as I have ever been. I was worried before I retired as I did enjoy my career, but honestly every day is different and carefree.

Grannyknot Wed 26-Aug-15 11:12:19

The flexibility of doing whatever you feel like - including (in my case recently) taking a job again two days a week on an 8 month contract. Then I'll take the summer off again! smile sunshine

nannotgran Wed 26-Aug-15 11:24:58

petrayou have made me laugh out load

ninathenana Wed 26-Aug-15 11:41:22

No alarm clock, in fact on the whole no clock at all. If I want to linger over lunch or morning coffee no one cares.

Lupatria Wed 26-Aug-15 12:27:31

i retired about 8 years ago thinking that i'd get loads done on the house and garden and generally enjoy myself doing not much at all - how wrong i was!
OH decided that he needed me to drive him to work and back [and he's a chef with unsocial hours so i go out when some people are going to bed] and, recently, my daughter and two grandaughters have come to stay with me [marriage breakdown] so i don't have any time to myself.
mind you, the house was getting to look like a show house and the weeds didn't dare show any leaves above ground and, quite frankly, i was getting bored.
so now the house looks as if a bomb has hit it, the garden has loads of weeds, my car is absolutely filthy owing to doing 80 miles a day but i'm happier than i have been for a long time.
retirement is SO MUCH better than working. it's been said before but i wouldn't have time to go to work these days!!!

KatyK Wed 26-Aug-15 12:35:28

Not getting up at 6am in the week. Not going to endless meetings. Not sitting on public transport in the rush hour. Not working in the city centre around Christmas and in school holidays. Not going on pointless training courses. Not spending time with people you don't want to be with. Not having to take holidays to fit in with colleagues. Doing what you like, when you like. Popping out to lunch or to National Trust places in our case. Doing household chores at your own pace instead of having to fit them in around work. Seeing your pension pop into the bank without having to earn it (yes I have earned it over the years but you know what I mean). I love retirement smile although I wasn't sure I would.

Indinana Wed 26-Aug-15 12:38:01

Not having to take minutes at endless, boring meetings. I still, after 5 years, dream about that and am so relieved when I wake grin.

deejay Wed 26-Aug-15 12:41:20

Not having to constantly get used to new bits of software.

Bellanonna Wed 26-Aug-15 12:42:34

petra grin
I'm so used to it now, I wouldn't want it any other way. I worked part time till I was 71 and changes at work meant I had to go, just before the bill against age discrimination came in. But I'm glad I went. I missed colleagues and the daily banter but life has become so much less fraught and I am much more relaxed. I still do lots, or don't do, if I choose not to. I rarely set the alarm and often have a late breakfast. Belonging to the gym is good and I do lots of knee-friendly classes, coffee with friends afterwards, and see more of my little grandchildren. Like you I felt worried by the prospect, especially losing the money, but we manage. There are so many things to do "out there" that you may feel spoilt for choice. I always suggest U3A to people but I am sure you will soon find your niche and will do at least some of those things you wanted to do. If it's not till next year you could start to set up some plans now? Good luck

grannyactivist Wed 26-Aug-15 12:47:04

In a word; choice.
I can choose what I want to do with my time; I can stay in bed all day, or fill every minute - the choice is mine.
I love being retired, but as my husband is still working we have a way to go before we can embrace it together and then I know that we shall each need to accommodate the other in choosing how to spend our time jointly.

Indinana Wed 26-Aug-15 13:00:04

Being able to travel round our local - and wider - area, Devon, Cornwall, and sometimes further afield, visiting places we never had time to visit before. The sun comes out and DH says "fancy lunch/afternoon tea in (insert Padstow / Lyme Regis / Looe / wherever)?". When I think of all those years, working, working, working, and the weekend came and it rained sad. Now we just do things on spec. Love it!

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Aug-15 13:09:55

A friend of mine was very concerned that I didn't have a plan for my retirement. The best thing about being retired is not having to have a plan. Enjoying the moment, spending time with your family, finishing that book in bed if you want, staying in if you don't want to go out in the rain. It's priceless.

And what Petra said! grin

annodomini Wed 26-Aug-15 13:12:00

Freedom and time. Not having to struggle in to work if I have a cold or a headache; being able to put off till tomorrow what might have been done today! Now, where did I put that duster?

Teetime Wed 26-Aug-15 13:14:49

Where to start- having choice I suppose over so much more of your life and I agree with petra not having to take orders from prats -- you know who you are NHS Finance Directors!!!

Ariadne Wed 26-Aug-15 13:18:49

Yes, it's the freedom to choose what you do and when you do it, and even with the humanitarian things with which we're involved, we know that we can always say "no."!

We've been retired for eight years now, but I still look forward to the start of term, knowing I haven't a) got to commute and b) not worry about work, students, trainees etc.

Going on holiday when you choose - we are off to Australia for the whole of October. And, as indinana says, to be able to have a day out without planning. (I'm in Devon, indinana, where are you?)

And, of course, seeing the DGC more often, and being there when needed.

It's great! And I get paid for doing this. Did work my socks off, though...��

Lona Wed 26-Aug-15 13:33:20

Most of the above, but summed up by grannyactivist as "choice".
Knowing that if I feel ill or just exhausted, I don't have to work anyway ( no work, no pay), I can rest and recover.
And, I still get my pension! smile

Daisyboots Wed 26-Aug-15 13:33:41

When I retired at 60 I had my elderly Mum living with me plus a teenage son and husband. At 64 we retired abroad (minus son who didnt want to go) but still had my Mum so that stopped us doing some things we would have liked to do. Last year my husband left and my lovely Mum died so finally my life is like that of the previous posters. Free and relaxing. If I want breakfast at noon that's ok. If I want to go to the supermarket at 6pm I can. So lovely to no longer be ruled by the clock. Lifes great!

LyndaW Wed 26-Aug-15 13:37:56

Ok. you've put my fears at bay! I thought I might be a teensy bit bored but it doesn't sound like that's an issue at all. Breakfast at 10:30 - can't wait grin

Jane10 Wed 26-Aug-15 14:10:27

Breakfast at 10.30 if you can be bothered to get up that early! I seem to sleep much better and don't wake up with a sore jaw from grinding my teeth in rage at work issues in my sleep. Lots of interesting new things to do and no great rush. Its 2.10pm. Think I'll watch a film. Cup of tea? check, choccy biscuits? check, cat on knee? check - perfect!