Gransnet forums

Chat

Refugees

(856 Posts)
Katek Fri 28-Aug-15 08:32:59

I could hardly believe it when I looked at the news on my phone this morning to discover that 70 people had died in the back of the lorry in Austria. It's appalling, how can one human being allow this to happen to another?

MargaretX Sat 07-Nov-15 19:58:29

There is not a lot of grumbling about refugees at the moment. People are accepting that from the millions that are coming, Germany will have to take its share. However we are now more organised and a lot from the Balkan countries have been sent home and probably families will not be allowed to follow quite so quickly as these young fathers would like.

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 17:47:51

Apologies, wrong link for the German one, it was one I was looking at.
Now I can't find the one I meant to link.
However, it can be worked out if the projected GDP is increased by the percentage that is estimated that the refugee influx will bring.

As for the UK and a specific amount of growth to do with refugees compared to, say, Germany we don't know and won't know.

In fact, Germany was probably desperately short of labour and younger people to earn and pay taxes, and the refugees will help their economy.
Just as immigrant labour has helped the UK's economy over the past few years.

So it is really impossible to quantify.

durhamjen Sat 07-Nov-15 00:22:36

Roseq, your examples have nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Yours are to do with overall increase in GDP. Mine were to do with the amount of growth specifically to do with refugees.

harrigran Fri 06-Nov-15 23:47:22

I don't think the Germans are that happy about the number of refugees, a village near to my sister is to have it's population increased by 700%.

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 17:50:37

“For destination countries, the impact amounts to a maximum of 0.2 per cent of GDP in 2015, with a small further increase in some countries in 2016.

www.arbeitgeber.de/www%5Carbeitgeber.nsf/res/GDP_CPI_Prod_Forecasts.pdf/$file/GDP_CPI_Prod_Forecasts.pdf

The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) has upgraded its UK GDP growth forecast for the next two years, from 2.6% to 2.7% in 2015, and 2.4% to 2.6% in 2016, due to stronger than expected growth in household consumption and services. The latest forecast also makes the BCC’s first prediction for UK growth in 2017 - at 2.6%

A bit of a dilemma for Cameron and Osborne.
I expected they are scratching their heads as we post hmm

I would think they are more concerned about taking the number of refugees that we can reasonably and safely assimilate without the problems that have ensued in, for instance, Germany:
america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/8/28/berlin-germany-europe-refugees.html

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 17:38:06

This is quite funny, in a sick way. Those countries that have taken most refugees in the EU are having an improvement in their economies. However, the UK will not benefit because we have agreed to take so few.

So soon! That must be a miracle! Any links, facts, figures, comparisons?

Of course, Germany needed immigrants because their population is decreasing and they need an influx of young workers.

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 17:15:26

Blimey that woman must have superpowers getting all that money out of the Govt. Poor old Barnardos: no high profile person pushing for money for them
Jane10 perhaps Barnardos or the Sally Army don't have con artists as their top executives, just people intent on doing the job and helping people in a sensible way.
What a pity DC was daft enough to be taken in by her. She must come across as very plausible.
Mind you, Yentob would be very pushy very persuasive I would imagine. His job title at the BBC was 'creative director' wasn't it - what an apt title!

durhamjen Fri 06-Nov-15 17:07:33

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-refugee-crisis-will-actually-have-a-sizable-positive-economic-impact-on-european-countries-eu-a6722396.html

This is quite funny, in a sick way. Those countries that have taken most refugees in the EU are having an improvement in their economies. However, the UK will not benefit because we have agreed to take so few.

A bit of a dilemma for Cameron and Osborne.

durhamjen Tue 03-Nov-15 17:11:43

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2015/11/03/ignore-the-right-wing-press-these-people-are-fleeing-for-the

Tim Farron writing about what he found on Levbos.

durhamjen Tue 03-Nov-15 16:50:01

secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c0771a/2d1c5aab/73edf217/4639e4e0/3579846020/VEsF/

An ex-soldier was asked by her father to bring a four-year-old girl from Calais to family in Leeds. He was caught at the border and is to face trial in France.

This is a petition to sign asking Hammond to intervene for anyone who wants to.

petra Fri 30-Oct-15 21:34:03

I've just read that Sweden is struggling under the number of migrants entering their country.

Jane10 Fri 30-Oct-15 20:52:47

Blimey that woman must have superpowers getting all that money out of the Govt. Poor old Barnardos: no high profile person pushing for money for them. They've just plain done the business for years and years. I'm always impressed by the Salvation Army too: not cool at all but just out there doing fantastic work very quietly. Camilla Batwhatever! Pah!

rosequartz Fri 30-Oct-15 16:04:55

anniebach Did you not realise that charities receive public money?
What is a charity obliged to do in return for its financial support? How much detail should a charity give about who funds it? Do tax payers know enough about how their money is used and which charities it funds? These are the questions that the Centre for Policy Studies are asking in a report launched this week. Having looked at the income of charities as publicly available from the Charity Commission they’re stating that at least £3.1 billion of large charities’ funds comes from public money and they conclude that more needs to be done around the reporting requirements so that every charity lists the Government grants and amount that they receive.

And the ill-fated Kids' Company managed to wangle £46 million of taxpayers' money - more than Dr Barnardo's received of taxpayers' money.

merlotgran Fri 30-Oct-15 16:04:24

Thanks, Ana. I haven't seen much at all.

Ana Fri 30-Oct-15 16:03:21

The work the Royal Navy's doing is being reported by some newspapers, most notably the Telegraph and the DM, merlot. And more surprisingy, the Mirror!

Ana Fri 30-Oct-15 15:59:08

I'm sure you're going to tell us, Anniebach. Why not just do it?

Anniebach Fri 30-Oct-15 15:50:21

Rescued and taken where Merlotgran?

Anniebach Fri 30-Oct-15 15:49:02

Which charities are receiving the money from the government Rosequartz ?

rosequartz Fri 30-Oct-15 15:46:52

I do not know why, with all the money charities receive from governments and the general public, that they have to reduce the 'rations' for refugees. I bet the top executives and senior officials of these charities have not reduced their salaries, their expenses and flown economy class so that less goes to them and more to refugees.
Do you expect the Prime Minister to personally go to the camps and hand over the food anniebach? If money is given in good faith - and it is more than any other country except the US I understand - surely one would expect the people on the ground to do their job properly and use the money for what it is intended.
Or perhaps they are all behaving like the the chief executive of Kids' Company.
angry
Just remind me again how much these charity bosses earn in comparison to the UK Prime Minister's salary?

merlotgran Fri 30-Oct-15 15:11:31

I am really surprised at the lack of reports regarding the hundreds of refugees that are being rescued by the Royal Navy on a regular basis.

It must be frustrating for all those involved because it appears we're not doing anything which is far from the case.

TriciaF Fri 30-Oct-15 13:56:04

I thought the van was RHD, but looking again, some of the passengers were coming out of the RH door.
And maybe SLOW was missing the W.

durhamjen Fri 30-Oct-15 12:41:32

I do not believe it, Tricia. Must have been about fifty people coming out of that van.

harrigran Fri 30-Oct-15 12:39:43

The conversation I could hear on the video did not appear to be English.

Ana Fri 30-Oct-15 12:32:01

Is SLO a recognised road marking in the UK?

TriciaF Fri 30-Oct-15 12:16:44

I saw this video on another forum, looks like it's in the UK:
www.facebook.com/InterestingThingsMagazine/videos/823019141129390/