Gransnet forums

Chat

Some people get all the luck!

(19 Posts)
chrissyh Sat 29-Aug-15 16:47:01

We moved into our bungalow about 3 years ago and it has a very large garden, the bottom of which is completely covered in a large evergreen bush. After about a month or so my DH saw a path seemingly made by an animal and went to investigate and found the window of a large shed. Everybody kept badgering us to try to find a way in, to have a look in case there was anything valuable in there. When he succumbed all that was in there was branches of the bush that had completely grown over and in it. As we don't know whether the shed is holding up the bush or the bush is holding up with shed we have left it alone.

RAF Sat 29-Aug-15 12:55:22

If you haven't used a bank account for a year, the bank will freeze it. One that has happened, it it the devil's own job to find out anything about it, even if you have the paying in books, cheque books and bank statements, they are just not interested (well Barclays aren't, any way!) They pass you from department to department and no one will take responsibility for finding the money.

vickymeldrew Sat 29-Aug-15 11:42:23

On a similar theme, I have often thought that in the future there will be many internet bank and savings accounts left by people who die without leaving details with anyone. There would be no correspondence to alert any potential beneficiaries !

Babyboomer Sat 29-Aug-15 11:27:36

When we moved to our previous house, nearly thirty years ago, I kept finding my two year old son lying on his tummy peering into a small hole in the plinth of a built-in cupboard in the kitchen. When asked why, he always said "man is there". Creepy! But when I eventually also lay down and peered in, I saw a little wooden man about two inches high. I poked it out, washed it, and gave it to him, to his delight.

Eleanorre Sat 29-Aug-15 11:17:32

We had a nursing chair which was no longer needed in our loft. We installed a new loft ladder and there was not enough room to remove the chair afterwards. I wonder if it is still there 30 years on .

EEJit Sat 29-Aug-15 11:02:58

Knowing my luck all I would find would be a flipping sink hole

Nandalot Fri 28-Aug-15 22:20:54

grinannodomino.
The builder found a parcel wrapped in newspaper and tied carefully with string in the loft of her previous house. We opened it with much anticipation to find it was ... A lump of wood.

annodomini Fri 28-Aug-15 22:09:32

I was talking to DS1 on the phone tonight while he was ironing his trousers, and at that moment he found £5 in the pocket! Evidently laundered money.

numberplease Fri 28-Aug-15 21:30:40

All I`ve ever managed was a very green teaspoon that dropped out of a large crack in the wall of the very old, decrepit cottage that we lived in when we were first married.

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Aug-15 20:38:23

My dad had built a safe under the floorboards in the bathroom of the house I grew up in. Undetectable unless you knew it was there. Fortunately, years later, my mother told me about it a week before she suffered the massive stroke that killed her. It contained the house deeds, bank books for savings accounts we knew nothing of, and cash.

I wonder how often house buyers make finds like this, and how often they pass the cash on.

Alea Fri 28-Aug-15 20:02:05

Was it very scared? grin

Indinana Fri 28-Aug-15 19:40:34

Must have been frightened of the dark BlackeyedSusan wink

Indinana Fri 28-Aug-15 19:39:53

Our house is also 114 years old anno! When we enlarged the loft access and were finally able to get in there we found so much junk - lots of very musty old cushion covers and curtains, and mismatching bits of cheap crockery and glassware. All this got thrown out.
However, we found a very old battered suitcase which had lots of letters and photographs etc in it relating to a previous owner's time in the navy around WW2 and earlier. Letters from the Naval Pensions Dept detailing his pension and letters about an appeal and so on. There was also a commemorative book about one of the ships he'd served on, including information about a visit to the Caribbean.
I've tried to trace family members, but neighbours have reported that the couple who lived here had no children (the naval records all seem to relate to his father), and there don't seem to be any other living relatives. Think I might contact the local museum to see if they or any local historians would be interested.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 28-Aug-15 19:33:12

my neighbour found a petrified cheese sandwich under the floor boards.

annodomini Fri 28-Aug-15 18:54:46

My house is 114 years old, so I must go down into the cellar (once was coal hole)and see what's what.

shysal Fri 28-Aug-15 18:49:06

The best I can come up with is removing the original bath panel in our old house to reveal the builder's sandwiches. They were green in colour and disintegrated on being moved! sad

Luckygirl Fri 28-Aug-15 18:01:51

About two weeks after we moved into this house 20 years ago, the previous owner rang and said he had forgotten to take his Mum's jewellery out of the safe. We did not even know there was a safe - it is very well hidden! He opened it and there was a whole stash of diamonds and other precious stones and jewellery!! He was from South Africa, so maybe Dad had been a diamond merchant! I felt like saying they are on our property so they are ours! But we were very polite and watched him take them away.

hildajenniJ Fri 28-Aug-15 16:33:03

Well I never...

It wouldn't happen to me! sad

Indinana Fri 28-Aug-15 09:06:42

Think I might have to do my kitchen up.....

www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/couple-amazed-whats-inside-50-6334390