Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I losing it?

(96 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 13-Oct-15 13:14:05

Last week I put a pan of eggs on to boil, set a timer for ten minutes and then went off to do something else taking the timer with me. The smell of burning prompted a sprint to the kitchen where my pan of six eggs was a charred and blackened mess. I had no memory of the timer going off, but think I may have heard and ignored it.
When putting eggs on to boil today I was very conscious of my previous disaster and so set the timer, put it on the table next to me, and felt confident that I wouldn't repeat my previous disaster. Wrong!!
The smell of burning is permeating the house and my six exploded eggs - again charred and blackened - are now in the bin and the pan soaking in the sink.
There is no problem with my timer and no problem with my hearing - so why didn't it register that I needed to go and take the eggs off? Am I really losing it?

shysal Thu 22-Oct-15 10:18:47

This is my selection of aerial toppers, not including the silver disco ball which is on the car at present, soon to be replaced by the witch. I bought a job lot cheaply on Ebay, partly as a joke for the GCs to make them cringe, but it does help to locate the car in a large parking area! I don't know why, but my Christmas ones always get stolen on my first outing. Note to self:- buy more!

rosesarered Thu 22-Oct-15 09:36:13

I think you may be right about the brain making room for new memories( that may be of use to us) instead of keeping memories of that holiday in Italy way back in 1968.

rosesarered Thu 22-Oct-15 09:33:03

TriciaF grin

Falconbird Thu 22-Oct-15 09:06:43

The thing that confuse me (among other things) is multi messages in e mails - the ones where you reply to the original post, they reply to you and so on. I have to give up in the end and write a new one.

TriciaF Sun 18-Oct-15 10:04:57

Stansgran wrote (p1): "We have so much to remember - too much." And the older we get, the more memories packed into whatever space is left in the memory part of the brain. So perhaps this slows up retrieval?
Some good stories on here, seems most of us do these things.
I got up early this morning and put a load of washing on. Went out later to put the next load in. I took out a large tablecloth from load 1 and hung it up, the returned and put the 2nd load in - on top of the rest of the 1st! I thought it was rather full, but went ahead. Soap in, close lid, started the motor.
Then going to hang out the rest of load 1, nothing there shock
It dawned on me what I'd done and stopped the machine before it got going. Never done that before.

NfkDumpling Sat 17-Oct-15 08:06:48

You lot are making me feel soooooo much better. Thank you everyone. I AM normal!

NanKate Sat 17-Oct-15 07:44:39

Absolutely identical to me Wilma I am expecting the correct word to come out and I do know my left from right but I hear myself saying the wrong word. Occasionally this happens when I go to say Good Morning and instead I say Good Afternoon.

When I have lost something and I look for it in the usual place I have a sort of object blindness and say 'Well it's not there anymore' when in fact it is. So now I make myself search in the correct place for longer than usual as I have just missed seeing it the first time. Very odd confused

trisher Fri 16-Oct-15 22:47:11

I was supposed to meet some people in a cafe the other day. I walked through from one end to the other and couldn't see them, so thought I must have missed them. I went outside and phoned one of them only to be told that they were still in the cafe, I must have walked right past them.
Oh I can't do left and right either.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 16-Oct-15 22:39:20

But Deeda why does it only happen in the car with my DH? I am a good navigator and can read maps, it's just that the wrong word comes out even when I am pointing in the correct direction? confused

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Oct-15 22:38:02

I don't need to turn maps around at all. I seem to be able to work out which direction I need to go in without doing that.

I can also look at a road map and have a rough mental imprint of the bigger roads and the direction in which they are going. Despite my dyslexia.
I do still use a satnav when unsure and in busy towns. I would be lost if I tried turning a map upside down now.

Perhaps there is a sort of racing pigeon compass somewhere in what passes for my brain.

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Oct-15 22:20:28

My 30 something daughter recently opened an ISA online for her second child and put Mrs Dgs2 Surname.
She will now have to go into the bank to change it.
Her brain is probably addled by 5months of feeding a small baby who keeps waking up for a snack. (I know, I know making rods for own backs there etc.) Granny keeps her mouth shut.

Deedaa Fri 16-Oct-15 22:07:44

Wilma the left and right thing is typical female behaviour. It's due to our brains being wired differently from men's. It goes along with turning the map round as we follow it and is a complete mystery to men.

Nelliemoser Fri 16-Oct-15 22:07:22

The worst thing with me for pans boiling dry is Gransnet.

NfkDumpling Fri 16-Oct-15 21:53:45

Re my post yesterday Anno - the forgotten eggs boiled dry and exploded. Today I nearly forgot to go to art class this morning and this afternoon forgot the Christmas cake in the oven - luckily only slightly.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 16-Oct-15 20:52:29

Ooops! I didn't notice there was another page of posts blush Proof I am definitely losing it! grin

rosequartz Fri 16-Oct-15 20:46:22

I think Wilma replied to a previous post whitewave grin

Yes, DH never gets his left and right correct.

He does if he says 'port' or 'starboard' - he was in the Navy
But then I get confused

whitewave Fri 16-Oct-15 20:41:17

Eh!?confused

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 16-Oct-15 20:38:50

Isn't it weird how it only happens as a passenger in the car? confused

PollyEster1 Fri 16-Oct-15 20:35:18

In the Drs. a few weeks ago...
"Now that you're 70,I have to give you a short memory test, OK?"
"Fine!" said I.
"First off, what year is it?"
"1985!" said I, no hesitation at all.
stunned silence, then...
"You are joking, aren't you?"
But, actually, I wasn't shock

No idea why I said it blushgrin

whitewave Fri 16-Oct-15 20:00:35

I really am losing it. I owed Mum some money and transferred the money from my account to hers on line. This was in September. All seemed well as it had duly left my account. Today mum said it had not gone into her account. To cut a very long story short, and after me accusing the bank of incompetence, It turned out that I had transferred the money to one of my redundant accounts in a different bankconfused I am completely at a lose as to how this happened.

Treebee Fri 16-Oct-15 19:57:46

Wilma, DH confuses his left and right too. At a junction he'll point right and say Go left. When I turn left he says No, the other left. I despair!

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 16-Oct-15 19:43:47

NanKate so glad I am not alone! grin

glassortwo that's a brilliant story! grin

rascal Fri 16-Oct-15 17:15:24

Thank you Nannalogue I'd love to join you all in your magic mystery tours!

I was at a training meeting a few years ago. At the end of the day most of the people had left so I had no one to follow! I had no idea the way out! Quite frightening really. I wandered about and I eventually found someone and they just pointed and there it was the door out! I have no idea why I couldn't find it! I'm like this in hospitals in the out patients dept. I can wander what seems for miles until I find someone who can point me in the right direction as long as it's straight and no complicated instructions! wink

NanKate Fri 16-Oct-15 14:54:18

Wilma I am with you on the right for left and left for right. I know what I intend saying but the wrong word emerges. hmm

glassortwo Fri 16-Oct-15 13:00:44

Sorry almost doubled up thought I had wiped the first measage off my phone, ao did another.

Honest I didnt forget that I had posted. grin