Gransnet forums

Chat

Inspirational words on coping with grief

(20 Posts)
Bellanonna Tue 08-Dec-15 23:41:52

?? too

3211123rjc Tue 08-Dec-15 23:35:34

To AlieOxen, how sad, thinking of you, it happened to us 4 years ago, she was 39 and left 3 children. It just isn't the right pattern of things.. Try to look after yourself, you will need your strength for your year of "firsts" Good luck for the future.

3211123rjc Tue 08-Dec-15 23:28:16

I am in floods as well, so sorry to hear that your long time friend is no longer with you.
Words from Shakespeare

...."but if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored, and sorrows end."

Indinana Tue 08-Dec-15 23:12:04

??

Anya Tue 08-Dec-15 23:07:28

Now I'm in floods of tears.

Libbysmum Tue 08-Dec-15 22:29:43

Libby was my beloved Springer Spaniel...

I LOVED YOU BEST

So this is where we part My Friend
You'll run on, around the bend,
Gone from sight but not from mind,
New pleasures there you'll surely find

I will go on, I'll find the strength ,
Life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
But they be they, and they aren't you .
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
Will remember well all you've taught.

You're place I'll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
Take with you this....I loved you best.

By Jim Willis

hollie57 Tue 08-Dec-15 17:50:22

Thank you all for the lovely replies please let this get easier cause it's not a nice feeling when your heart is breaking I just had a bath and thought of her because she loved to come and climb on the edge of the bath and lick the bubbles on my arms she was such a little character.??

Indinana Tue 08-Dec-15 16:57:11

Oh Alie, I only just noticed your post. You were so much on my mind when I started this thread. I do so hope the waves are not quite so close together for you now flowers
And flowers for you too grandmac. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child.

grandmac Tue 08-Dec-15 16:35:58

AlieOxon So sorry for your loss. I've been there so know how devastating it is. Stay strong and take care of yourself. flowers

Anniebach Tue 08-Dec-15 15:37:47

Hollie , I am so deeply sorry, have experienced the same nine times and every time the grief has been so strong . I tell myself it's what I owe for what they gave me , would I have rather not had them in my life so I wouldn't experience the grief? No way , I adored them all and am thankful they chose me - I do think they choose us

Indinana Tue 08-Dec-15 15:22:25

hollie57, I am so sorry for your loss. What a long life little Hollie had with you! It doesn't make it any easier, though, does it? We have had to say goodbye to three dogs over the years, and then our son's lovely golden lab a couple of years ago. My DH used to walk him every day and he stayed with us during the family holidays, so he really felt like our dog too.
It is truly heartbreaking, the grief is overwhelming. I am so glad that you found some comfort from my original post. I'm popping up to my DD in a minute - I will definitely give her black lab, Connie, a very big hug and think of you.
Welcome to Gransnet, by the way (or is that 'welcome back to Gransnet?')..

AlieOxon Tue 08-Dec-15 15:21:25

I have copied this to send to the man who would have been my son-in-law....if my daughter hadn't died in May this year.
We are both floating.

hollie57 Tue 08-Dec-15 15:11:46

Hello everyone I have not been on here for a long time so treat me gently we had to have our beloved little Hollie dog put to sleep yesterday after 16 1/2 years and we are devasated she was our world so I was looking for some comfort and thought I would look on here what a lovely way of describing grief that first letter was, we are all at sea at the moment but that has helped a bit ,hope to go on some other topics when feeling better.thanks for reading .if you have a pet would you cuddle them extra today for me xx

PPP Tue 08-Dec-15 11:21:34

TwiceAsNice, you say it all. 'Grief is the price we pay for love'. The greatest grief is for those we loved the most.

TwiceAsNice Mon 07-Dec-15 21:36:10

Grief is the price we pay for love. If the love we're not so wonderful it would not hurt as it does. We survive as a testament to the people we have loved and lost and the human race goes on. The piece is lovely and illustrates how people feel in their sadness perfectly.

For me I like the phrase Jesus said to comfort the bereaved

" Come to me all thee who are heavy laden and I will give you peace"

Indinana Mon 07-Dec-15 19:36:38

Yes he does, doesn't he, nina. From time to time we come across things online that give us a glimpse of a person, a complete stranger, nameless, someone we'll never meet. But oh how we wish we knew them! I would dearly love to have this 'old guy' around to turn to if I ever needed support.

ninathenana Mon 07-Dec-15 17:29:58

Heart felt and well written, he sounds like a great guy.
Thanks for posting Indinana

annsixty Mon 07-Dec-15 15:39:02

I have just found this thread and the response as posted does sound as if it comes from the heart and from someone who really knows grief. Thankyou Indinana

downtoearth Mon 07-Dec-15 10:41:57

That is beautiful Indie and so very true....I have survived many shipwrecksxx

Indinana Mon 07-Dec-15 10:29:09

I just came across this via Facebook. Apparently a few years ago someone posted on Reddit "My friend just died. I don't know what to do." Below is the response from another poster. Sorry for such a long post, but I think this is really worth reading.

"Alright, here goes. I'm old. What that means is that I've survived (so far) and a lot of people I've known and loved did not. I've lost friends, best friends, acquaintances, co-workers, grandparents, mom, relatives, teachers, mentors, students, neighbors, and a host of other folks. I have no children, and I can't imagine the pain it must be to lose a child. But here's my two cents.
I wish I could say you get used to people dying. I never did. I don't want to. It tears a hole through me whenever somebody I love dies, no matter the circumstances. But I don't want it to "not matter". I don't want it to be something that just passes. My scars are a testament to the love and the relationship that I had for and with that person. And if the scar is deep, so was the love. So be it. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are a testament that I can love deeply and live deeply and be cut, or even gouged, and that I can heal and continue to live and continue to love. And the scar tissue is stronger than the original flesh ever was. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are only ugly to people who can't see.
As for grief, you'll find it comes in waves. When the ship is first wrecked, you're drowning, with wreckage all around you. Everything floating around you reminds you of the beauty and the magnificence of the ship that was, and is no more. And all you can do is float. You find some piece of the wreckage and you hang on for a while. Maybe it's some physical thing. Maybe it's a happy memory or a photograph. Maybe it's a person who is also floating. For a while, all you can do is float. Stay alive.
In the beginning, the waves are 100 feet tall and crash over you without mercy. They come 10 seconds apart and don't even give you time to catch your breath. All you can do is hang on and float. After a while, maybe weeks, maybe months, you'll find the waves are still 100 feet tall, but they come further apart. When they come, they still crash all over you and wipe you out. But in between, you can breathe, you can function. You never know what's going to trigger the grief. It might be a song, a picture, a street intersection, the smell of a cup of coffee. It can be just about anything...and the wave comes crashing. But in between waves, there is life.
Somewhere down the line, and it's different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday, or Christmas, or landing at O'Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you'll come out.
Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don't really want them to. But you learn that you'll survive them. And other waves will come. And you'll survive them too. If you're lucky, you'll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks."