Gransnet forums

Chat

Ear piercing ..... what age?

(95 Posts)
Katek Tue 02-Feb-16 13:23:08

I see that Katie Price has stirred up another hornets' nest by having her 17 month old daughter Bunny's ears pierced.

It started me thinking about what age-if any-shouid girls have their ears pierced. Personally I think the older the better.

Eloethan Tue 02-Feb-16 23:39:41

My mum was very against ear piercing - at whatever age.

Personally, I wouldn't have a baby's or young child's ears pierced but I don't feel that strongly about it.

I had my ears pierced at around 36, soon after I returned to the UK after a holiday with my husband's family. The day before we were due to come back, his aunt bought me some expensive earrings, taking it for granted that I would have pierced ears. I'm so glad she did as I would probably never have bothered, and I like wearing earrings. I didn't bother with clip on ones as most of them were not that attractive and also very uncomfortable.

rubylady Wed 03-Feb-16 03:15:04

I was in my teens, my DD was at primary and my DD wanted my DS to get one ear done which she persuaded him to do it around age 9. He has regretted it and never wears anything in it.

I do think they should be old enough to chose themselves. (My DS did agree to his being done at the time, he wasn't forced, just cajoled.)

Nansypansy Wed 03-Feb-16 06:00:53

I was always against ear piercing and my dd was 18 when she had hers done - so then I thought I'd have mine done - I was 40. I never regretted it though I often forget to wear any ..... So I've just reminded myself to put some in today! .....

helmacd Wed 03-Feb-16 10:10:09

I was 50 when I had mine done; an impulse after taking elder daughter (16) to have hers done!

Gaggi3 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:27:33

Only skimmed through all the posts, so hope I'm being repetitive. A friend told me years ago that ear piercing was practised on babies, to "improve their sight". It was some sort of old belief. Why not the boys as well, then?

My mother thought ear-piercing "common".

A dear aunt had her ears pierced when she was a student nurse, circa the late twenties. The man who did it said the procedure was only possible if the girls sat on his lap!

angie95 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:28:07

i was thirteen when I had mine done, my daughter was nine, I think it's wrong for babies to have it done, We all know how painful it can be, if you accidentally catch an earring, so that poor baby is going to be in so much pain, if it catches it,,
It is cruel, I let my daughter have hers done, after a lot of thought,

angie95 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:30:12

Why is it that Katie Price does such stupid things, then gets narky when she is told about it? Personally I think it is for attention,, She makes her eight year old look like she is sixteen, and now, has the babies ears pierced!! The woman is a menace!

Lupatria Wed 03-Feb-16 10:56:29

i was 18 when i had my ears pierced for the first time. i loved them right from the start. now i've got 3 earrings in each ear and never have any problems.
my daughter had her ears pierced when she was at uni and my eldest grandaughter had her's done for her 13th birthday present.
grandaughter's school doesn't require them to remove the earrings, she covers them with medical tape when she's got pe/games .
i think my second grandaughter will be impatient to have her's done but she'll have to wait, like her sister, until she's 13.
but i still hate seeing babies and toddlers with pierced ears.

imagran Wed 03-Feb-16 11:21:28

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Juggernaut Wed 03-Feb-16 11:21:56

My mum's rule was 18, she reckoned that as soon as I was allowed to vote on matters concerning the entire country I was allowed to decide things for myself!
She didn't have hers done until she was 50, after I'd had mine pierced!

Cosafina Wed 03-Feb-16 11:29:28

I think I was an adult when I got mine done, but in Spain it's common to have it done while the child is still an infant.

Quite handy, as you always know when the infant is a girl! grin

Lona Wed 03-Feb-16 11:47:21

imagran I hope your "cutie grandson" is an adult not a baby!

devongranny Wed 03-Feb-16 11:54:34

I had mine pierced when I was 16 as did my daughter but I understand that in some cultures ears are pierced very young to improve and protect the child's eyesight!

imagran Wed 03-Feb-16 12:02:19

Lona, he's a big baby. ;)

annifrance Wed 03-Feb-16 12:03:48

Agree - totally horrid on babies and toddlers. I was up against it with my DD when she was young as her stepfather was Indian and therefore a different culture - his daughter was 'done' when she was very young. So I had a battle on my hands.

My stance was that she wasn't going to have any tacky earrings - they had to be 24 carat gold and no girl was old enough to wear solid gold until she was 16. I managed to hold out until she was nearly 14 - but it was tough going!

witchygran Wed 03-Feb-16 12:18:33

Hate to see children with pierced ears! As grans have already said here, it looks tacky and can be dangerous. My DD had hers pierced at 18. Now they have healed up, as she never wore earrings. DGD is 13 and has no interest in pierced ears.

Teacher11 Wed 03-Feb-16 12:22:32

I forbad my daughter piercing, dyeing or tattooing anything until she was an adult. She has now pierced her ears and has some lovely, tasteful earrings. She has never complained about my high handed decree and I think she'll secretly do the same if she has children.

Galen Wed 03-Feb-16 12:33:17

It's a type of child abuse! I wasn't allowed to have mine done as a child. They were done for my 21st birthday. I let darling daughter have hers done at 18

Tizliz Wed 03-Feb-16 12:35:22

This caused a serious falling out with MIL. I refused to let my daughter have her ears done until she was at least in her teens. She came back from a holiday with her Nan with it done, she was 10. And they went septic. I still can't believe MIL did it knowing I had said no.

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 12:37:10

My DGD's both have their ears pierced. They were 6.

Katie Price can't do anything right can she? Nobody's business except hers and the child's father. Her problem is posting everything she does on social media.

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 12:37:55

Meant to add they both had it done on the first day of the summer holidays and have never worn earrings to school.

J52 Wed 03-Feb-16 13:06:32

I agree that it is not suitable for children.

My mother thought it was common and when, at 25, I had mine done, she was very annoyed!

I did point out that the Queen had pierced ears! ( and lovely earrings to go on them!)

x

nipsmum Wed 03-Feb-16 13:10:58

My daughters had their ears pierced after they were 18 and didn't need my permission. None of my granddaughters have pierced ears. They are 12. 9.. 6. Both my daughters have tattoos however. Both done when they were at university.

Welshwife Wed 03-Feb-16 13:13:15

At one time ear rings were banned in Surrey County primary schools because they can be dangerous if there is a fall etc. One child I knew of slipped in the toilets and the side of her head went down the doorframe - the stem cut the earlobe and the child needed three stitches. There is also the question of security when they need to remove them for PE. The putting back into the ears also can cause problems as many young girls are unable to do it themselves - teachers have enough to do without that too.

gillybob Wed 03-Feb-16 13:25:04

No earrings allowed at my DGD's school either Welshwife so they don't wear them during the week. Can't see the problem and no need for a teacher or anyone at school to be involved.