Gransnet forums

Chat

Any advances on this

(52 Posts)
Teetime Thu 04-Feb-16 15:10:00

I have 9 bottles of Toilet Duck (3 toilets) I don't know why I have but they look quite good all lined up in the cleaning cupboard.

Theoddbird Fri 05-Feb-16 09:42:49

I always stock up Dove Pro-age shower soap when I see it on offer and things like Simple shampoo and conditioner. I don't have space for a lot of bulk buying but these things I can find space for.

Theoddbird Fri 05-Feb-16 09:42:49

I always stock up Dove Pro-age shower soap when I see it on offer and things like Simple shampoo and conditioner. I don't have space for a lot of bulk buying but these things I can find space for.

Bijou Fri 05-Feb-16 10:00:31

I used to stock up in the 70's when inflation was high. Amazing how the price had risen when shopping a year later. Now always have spare in case I cannot get out shopping and have enough food to last a siege.

nannypiano Fri 05-Feb-16 10:02:32

I ordered 200 toilet rolls yesterday from e bay and will store them in the garage. They cost almost nothing each roll. Saves bulk carrying at super markets and saves a fortune.

Icyalittle Fri 05-Feb-16 10:03:21

Theoddbird -looks as if you are stocking up on Gransnet posts too grin grin grin grin

Artiarticle123 Fri 05-Feb-16 10:04:36

Always stock up on most toiletries when they are on special offer or I have coupons! Much the same with cleaning products.
I went a little wild in the January sales this year, especially at Boots when they reduced gift sets by 70%. The tops of our wardrobes are full of these items.

Teacher11 Fri 05-Feb-16 10:06:43

We have an integral garage which is not even big enough for a 'small' car now that cars have all increased in size so it is a good storage space for bargain buys. I stock up on non perishable goods when they are on offer and find I save a fortune. I choose high end brands at knock down prices such as the Taylor's coffee which was recently on offer at less than half price and now have about 50 packets in the garage. I also buy Original Source shower gel (as the DH and DS like it - I am allergic!) at less than half price in pound shops and also stock up on bogoffs and 241s on bleach, washing tabs, fabric softener, loo rolls, cava, Champagne and shampoo. I sometimes order just enough to have stuff delivered and go for the nightime £1 delivery slot as I reckon that's less than the diesel would cost to pick it up myself. I am getting stingier the older I get but then my pension is a quarter of what I earned before so I need to. I have exchanged time and cunning for money!

Daddima Fri 05-Feb-16 10:19:56

I always stock up on soap ( savon de Marseille) when we go to France, but find we don't really use a lot now, as we use liquid soap and shower gel, so there are about 20 bars in the cupboard.

I sometimes use vouchers ( £5 off if you spend £30 in M & S), so would buy tinned tomatoes, toilet rolls, and scented bin liners.

And, Kittylester, when my 97 year old aunt died we found Tampax in her drawer, and spaghetti which was 12 years out of date!

alternativegran Fri 05-Feb-16 10:20:26

I don't drive and use my garage for storage, I started to stock up after a couple of bad winters when the buses didn't run.

I buy mainly special offers, when I am out with friends in a car and would now recommend doing this to anyone who has space as I think it has saved a lot of money, the main problem is seeing an offer and forgetting what is already in the garage.

MadMaisie Fri 05-Feb-16 10:35:17

I am suppressing the urge to buy any more soap/shower gel/cleaning materials as I probably have enough to last at least a year. Old habits die hard though and I have to be quite stern with myself when special offers pop up. I tend to stockpile a wide variety of cat food as my little darling can be very fickle in her tastes (Cats' Protection often benefit because of this). Perhaps I should set up "Hoarders anonymous)!

Tizliz Fri 05-Feb-16 10:43:11

I also seem to have large stock of some items. This can cause a problem though. When I haven't had to buy toilet roll for a year I suddenly find I have run out because I never think about buying it.

cathyd Fri 05-Feb-16 10:59:50

I stock up when toiletries etc are on special offer. My garage is used for storage and has quite a lot of liquid detergent and softener at the moment. Toilet rolls and smaller stuff are normally kept indoors, anywhere there is a space. Packs and jars of food are in a cupboard in the hall for easy access

granfromafar Fri 05-Feb-16 11:40:28

Nannypiano smile Would never have thought of ordering loo rolls from ebay, but great idea. Although we have plenty of garage space Mr granfromafar would definitely flip if I did that as I hoard enough already. I always buy multiples of any toiletries and tinned goods when they are on offer too. Thankfully have plenty of cupboard space and hate the thought of down-sizing!

princesspamma Fri 05-Feb-16 11:46:59

My "hoarding" is not age-related - it is a result of spending my teen years in the 70's with the ever-present threat of nuclear war! I began surrepticiously to ensure that mum would buy extras each week so build up a store of everything we would need for the first weeks in the fallout shelter, which I designed in my head, and knew exactly how and where within the house we would build it! That time was also the start of my lifelong poor sleeping habits - I would lie awake every night inventorying our supplies, improving the shelter design, and worrying about how I would obtain a supply of antibiotics "just in case!!!". Both hoarding and poor sleeping have stuck with me ever since!

NonnaAnnie Fri 05-Feb-16 11:56:56

I never pay full price for any cleaning products or toiletries ect. Also food stuff with long best buy dates, mayo, olive oil and the like. I stock up when they are on special offer, so have quite a stock of things and have a dedicated cupboard to keep it all in. One day I may work out how much I actually save in a year?

Gaggi3 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:00:55

When a dear aunt and uncle moved from their first home after 40 something years there, in 1971, powdered egg and many other treasure were discovered in their huge store-cupboard. Hoarding par excellence.

Willow500 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:12:24

Princesspamma my son was a child of the 70's and tells me now that the adverts for 'what to do in the event of a nuclear attack' terrified him! When we cleared my parents house out 5 years ago we found a huge tin of Fishwick steak in gravy - this was something they found in the stock of the hotel they bought in 1969 - I'm sure my dad thought it would come in for something one day :-)

oldie730 Fri 05-Feb-16 14:48:56

I am relieved that I am not alone in keeping a well stocked cupboard. Was accused by a friend of hoarding, and she made fun of me in front of a whole crowd. Buying special offers is sensible as cleaning materials, bog rolls, etc. don't have a sell by date. Coming up to winter the multipacks of Heinz Tomato Soup are "hoarded". Listerine mouth wash is regularly on offer in Sainsburys at 3 for 2, and considering the price I think this is a good deal. Could list many other good offers across the board, which would be boring!!??

Charleygirl Fri 05-Feb-16 15:03:23

As others have mentioned, our incomes are much reduced and the way I look at it is that my BOGOFs etc pay for treats like meals out.

Juggernaut Fri 05-Feb-16 16:27:42

We often bulk buy at Costco, and split things with DS and DDiL.
We have a tall larder cupboard (removed when the kitchen was remodelled) in the garage which is full of non-perishables.
Spare kitchen cleaning products, soap powder, fabric softener etc is in a cupboard in 'my corner' of the shed!
There's a large chest freezer in the garage too, so that gets well used. At the moment there are (amongst loads of other stuff) 3 frozen turkeys in there, all bought at half price after Christmas!
Loo rolls, soap, shower gel, toothpaste, bathroom cleaning products etc all live in a cupboard in a spare bedroom.
I could probably withstand a six month siege at least!

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 00:09:07

Cans of chopped tomatoes. A girl can't have too many cans of chopped tomatoes in her kitchen cupboard. Just checked today and I'm down to 2. Tesco here I come! Looking for the special offers. ?

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 06-Feb-16 00:30:49

Now I'm feeling extremely inadequate. 200 loo rolls! shock

We just don't have the space and only have one spare of most things.

Elrel Sat 06-Feb-16 01:34:03

I bought this from a junk shop but someone must have hoarded it. An elaborate cardboard box containing a green glass bottle full of Du Barry talcum powder. Around it was a printed strip explaining that due to wartime conditions pink bottles were unobtainable so they were having to use green. It had been kept for 70 years, I'll never know by whom or why!

I once did an online order for my daughter and ordered, I thought, 12 tins of chopped tomatoes. They were 4 packs ...

Judthepud2 Sat 06-Feb-16 08:55:35

grin Elrel That's even more than I would have bought! But I bet she used them all up! Soups, casseroles, pasta sauce. My DGCs would eat nothing healthy unless it had chopped tomatoes in it.

chrissyh Sat 06-Feb-16 10:50:17

I only stock up on things I use and only when they are on special offer. Hardly ever pay full price for my preferred coffee, in fact get quite miffed when I have to.