Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it me, or is GN not so much fun as it used to be?

(135 Posts)
phoenix Sun 24-Apr-16 16:06:54

Dons tin helmet !

Elegran Mon 25-Apr-16 14:31:27

smile

Gracesgran Mon 25-Apr-16 14:15:28

You are right Elegran

Apoligies thatbags I misread your post.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-Apr-16 14:12:31

I think you just might be attacking Gracesgran now.

Back to my non-procrastinating day. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-Apr-16 14:11:06

I have got a completely different theory as to why the OP started the thread. grin

Elegran Mon 25-Apr-16 14:08:36

Jings It sounded as though Phoenix needed cheering up. She has posted enough to cheer up everyone else in her time so I hope she finds some for herself.

Elegran Mon 25-Apr-16 14:06:46

How to kill a good thread in one easy lesson - take a general remark personally and snipe at the poster.

Thatbags was agreeing with you, for goodness sake, that anyone who wants a fun thread should start one, then she added that both serious and fun is best! Lighten up, Gracesgran No-one is attacking you. There is no place attacking one another on Gransnet.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-Apr-16 13:57:55

But, then again..... it's made a thread! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-Apr-16 13:57:05

The OP was a bit moany. Not to say odd. grin Definitely needed qualification. Or explanation.

Gracesgran Mon 25-Apr-16 13:54:08

Have you been reading the thread thatbags? I have not complained about a lack of fun the OP did. I am, in fact, very happy with GN.

I didn't think we came on here to be scored as good or bad posters - is this a new GN policy?

pompa Mon 25-Apr-16 13:49:08

"The best posters, imo, are those who can do serious and fun and who can take and give a bit of silly banter when needed too."

Well said ThatBags flowers

Monday night is banter night for me, ladies (that's a joke for a start) v gents ( that's just a lie) at our uku group. My sides are aching by the end of the evening.

Elegran Mon 25-Apr-16 13:44:03

Phoenix has been an excellent example in the past of how to produce humour when under the greatest of pressure, instead of whinging about her situation. Today she is probably not posting because will be at work, at the very suitable job she eventually found for herself after falling a second time into the "fire" that had caused her to name herself phoenix. Correction - she effectively created the job, by contacting everyone she could think of in her neighbourhood and suggesting how she could help them in their business.

thatbags Mon 25-Apr-16 13:38:59

any other

thatbags Mon 25-Apr-16 13:38:41

Hear, hear , also, gracesgran. You want your kind of fun? Provide it. That's to anyone and everyone and it applies equally to and other kind of posts one wants.

The best posters, imo, are those who can do serious and fun and who can take and give a bit of silly banter when needed too.

thatbags Mon 25-Apr-16 13:36:10

Hear, hear, elegran!

One can always take the not bloody caring who 'condemns' one attitude as well. People who go in for that sort of thing are not the sort one would want as friends anyway. Speaking personally, they can condemn away for all they're worth for all I care. Fat lot of good or, more to the point, of persuading it'll do.

Gracesgran Mon 25-Apr-16 13:35:51

I see the OP has not returned to join in the thread hmm

If you want your sort of fun don't ask questions, provide it for yourselves, it is unreasonable to expect others to conform to any narrow view of what that is just to provide you with it.

Anya Mon 25-Apr-16 13:34:37

Absolutely Elegran

Anyone see the hamming up of Hamlet's soliloquy at the RSC?

Now that was fun and Shakespeare would surely have had a good laugh at it grin

Anya Mon 25-Apr-16 13:29:42

It looks even scarier with a Christmas hat on tchgrin

Elegran Mon 25-Apr-16 13:28:31

I agree, Pompa. It does sometimes seem that we are condemned if we fail to be suitably solemn about everything. We have failed to recognise that the whole universe is going to hell in a handcart, and turned instead to frivolity and mirth. Well, I am sorry to disagree with that philosophy, but the only route to salvation in desperate circumstances is to laugh at something.

"A little fo-olly Is rather jo-olly,
A little levity can do no harm"

(sung to a Bach air, but I have never been able to find the excerpt since hearing it ages ago. There was something about J S Bach and G F Handel being born in the same year, but never meeting. It went on :-

"We will try to rectify
what surely is a scandal
and introduce without excuse
JS Bach and G F Handel"

and then had a kind of musical conversation between the two. Any enlightenment gratefully received)

Sorry about the diversion from the serious subject of fun.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-Apr-16 13:27:42

Yes. It's horrible. They won't change it though. hmm

Lazigirl Mon 25-Apr-16 13:26:25

I find emoticons useful, for example when texting or posting messages as intention possibly misunderstood when not "face to face" chatting. I have to admit tho that the smiley on here for "grin" scares me. It looks like someone baring teeth aggressively.......

Elegran Mon 25-Apr-16 13:09:15

Perhaps I should have said explained, not dissected.

pompa Mon 25-Apr-16 13:06:56

Well as "Don's a tin helmet" fails to indicate a light hearted thread, I stand by what I said.
It does appear to be obvious that GN is not fun any longer. Many posters are afraid to say anything light hearted, in case it gets dissected word by word, and are either silent or have left.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-Apr-16 13:04:33

Or at least, a bit too "buttoned up".

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 25-Apr-16 13:03:47

I think, although you may not actually share another's sense of humour, you really ought to be able to recognise it. To not be able to do that could make you seem a rather narrow minded person.

Anya Mon 25-Apr-16 13:00:53

Oh dear... now my post sounds like I'm being patronising....it wasn't meant to be.