Gransnet forums

Chat

i've just discovered my husband doing something very odd...

(22 Posts)
BBbevan Sun 01-May-16 04:06:46

merlot my DH whisks tea ? You get a nice head of frothwink

Daisyboots Sat 30-Apr-16 21:25:13

I found my husband putting mayonnaise on just one slice of bread when making me a sandwich. Soon put him right. The only time he uses butter on his bread is if he is making a banana sandwich. He says it is because when he was in the army in the middle east the butter substitute was so vile he went without any spread. If I make him toast and marmalade I put butter on first and he doesn't complain. I only ever have butter in the house . No margarine spreads allowed here.

Jalima Sat 30-Apr-16 17:02:12

And the butter does stop the wet filling soaking the bread (unless you like it soggy of course).
Scones with either butter (fruit ones) OR jam then cream.

hildajenniJ Sat 30-Apr-16 16:40:52

I like my butter with bread, and slap it on with gay abandon..

Teetime Sat 30-Apr-16 15:48:08

DH puts marmite on fruit things - doesn't like butter - weird!!!

lizzypopbottle Sat 30-Apr-16 15:14:32

Depends what's going in the sandwich. It's hard to spread cream cheese on top of butter. Same goes for peanut butter. Without something to stick it together, though, other, drier sandwich fillings e.g. ham and salad will just fall out!

ninathenana Sat 30-Apr-16 15:12:26

If I'm using what I class as a wet filling I only butter one slice of a sandwich. I always have jam or butter on toast or scones. Glad I'm not the only one who plates up food in the same arrangement every time.
It's a standing joke in our house that H has toast with his butter and marmalade.

Jalima Sat 30-Apr-16 14:52:59

I always have to get rid of that bit inishowen

felice In the past, I buttered bread on both sides when making a toastie.
Needless to say, the toastmaker has been in the cupboard for years.

I do butter both pieces of bread for a sandwich, but on one side only.

inishowen Sat 30-Apr-16 14:29:25

When making tomato sandwiches I cut the tomato in half, then remove a little triangle of the core and discard it! I saw a friend do this and have done it for over 40 years now.

Daisymay1 Sat 30-Apr-16 14:23:29

I love my butter and could never butter just one side ?

felice Sat 30-Apr-16 12:03:04

A Portuguese friend butters his toast on both sides, makes for very messy breadboards and plates.
I have always buttered just one piece of bread for a sandwich, I thought it was normalhmm

Purpledaffodil Sat 30-Apr-16 11:48:49

My late MiL used to cut bacon sandwiches with large scissors, for all others, she used a knife. Thought this odd, but when we visited sister in law, she did the same thing. Must have been learned behaviour. grin

janeainsworth Sat 30-Apr-16 11:25:04

Does hanging up clothes to dry sideways on instead of right way up count?
Not that mrA hangs the washing out that often wink

harrigran Sat 30-Apr-16 11:14:10

I never use butter or margarine on toast, usually just a smear of goat's cheese.
DH whisks the tea and coffee whereas I just stir it. I can not understand the logic of whisking but friend says her DH does it too.

patd Sat 30-Apr-16 11:09:36

My motherinlaw used to dry the teabags and reuse them. Nephew only liked his toast done one side, luckily they had a grill cant do it with a toaster.

merlotgran Fri 29-Apr-16 17:05:46

Whenever my late MiL made a hot drink she would whisk it as though she was using a fork and not a spoon.

DH has always done this with hot chocolate (so do most people, I think, in order to remove any lumps) but the other morning I could hear a vigorous whisking noise coming from the kitchen just before he brought me.....a cup of tea hmm

shysal Fri 29-Apr-16 17:03:15

I don't find it odd at all, all my family do the same! Mind you, I sometimes compensate by spreading it extra thickly! blush
An odd thing my grandmother used to do was hang up used tea bags to dry before re-using them! Perhaps thrifty rather than odd, but it seemed so to me as a child.
One of my many strange habits is to always arrange my food on its plate in the same order. Protein at 8 o'clock, carbs (or these days carb substitute) at 12 and vegetables at 4.
When eating something on toast I have a special way of cutting it neatly into rectangles. To cut across the corner first would be so wrong! I do not have OCD, honestly!

sunnyclimbs Fri 29-Apr-16 16:58:28

maybe that's it M0nica - he thought my confused reaction was very amusing!

Welshwife Fri 29-Apr-16 16:40:28

I frequently use only butter or jam - only ever jam and cream on a scone - eating bread with a meal I have no butter.

Alea Fri 29-Apr-16 16:33:22

My sister (a war baby) has always only ever had butter OR jam/honey etc on bread, toast or scones.
Anybody else do that?

M0nica Fri 29-Apr-16 16:29:42

I do that. Started doing it when we were instructed to reduce our fat intake. Now that is shown to be another scientific whoopsie, it is such an engrained habit I still do it.

sunnyclimbs Fri 29-Apr-16 16:15:57

....in the 25 years we've been together I never realised that he only butters one piece of bread in a sandwich. Never both pieces. I stood over his shoulder unbeknownst to him and watched, completely confused

have you discovered any odd things other people do that would just never enter your head??