Gransnet forums

Chat

So how do you feel about it?

(60 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 04-May-16 15:50:22

Just heard about Gransnet and Mills and Boon forming a link and planning to work together. Can't say I'm thrilled to hear it. It seems to imply a rather clichéd view of us Gransnetters or maybe I have a rather clichéd view of Mills and Boon. Not sure if I'll stick around to find out. Interested to hear what you others think.

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 21:45:01

No, it's because I have caught sight of one of those hunky doctors/ fishermen/ lumberjacks or whatevers looking handsome and moody on the covers of those books.My late MIL used to ask me to get her the Mills and Boon books from the library.Mind you, they are probably raunchy now, smouldering looks are passe these days! grin

Alima Wed 04-May-16 21:35:06

I thought that too Ana. Perhaps rosesarered has taken the trouble to read one of their books and now wants her heart to be still because she has lost the will to live?

Ana Wed 04-May-16 21:31:14

You'd be dead then! grin

Juggernaut Wed 04-May-16 21:30:27

To hell in a handcart springs to mind angry

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 21:27:25

Be still, my beating heart!

Ana Wed 04-May-16 21:23:52

Bet they never even considered Mumsnet as a collaborator, although most M&B readers seem to be around that age. Imagine the comments! grin

Alima Wed 04-May-16 21:19:06

Maybe, just maybe, the next tie-in could reflect the sublime as opposed to the ridiculous. How about Penguin books, a very successful publishing business and one with a rather more interesting tale to tell than Mills and Boon. You really do not think much of Gransnetters do you?

Thingmajig Wed 04-May-16 21:06:55

I vaguely recall reading a M&B (found in the hotel "library" I hasten to add, not bought by me) on holiday a year or two ago and it was amazingly racy!!! shock

absent Wed 04-May-16 21:00:38

My cats can rip bodices.

Judthepud2 Wed 04-May-16 20:44:50

demographically there's a considerable crossover with the profile of Gransnet users.

Seriously? It's not looking like it from the responses on this thread Lucy! M&B fiction is pretty mindless uninspiring stuff from the admittedly small amount I have seen. My impression of the posters on GN doesn't tally with this at all! I'm not sure it is the impression GN should be promoting. You maybe need to change your PR company. ?

petitpois Wed 04-May-16 19:43:59

Thanks GNHQ. That all makes sense to me. I don't really see what all the fuss is about hmm ... No one's saying all gransnetters are M&B readers in the same way I imagine not all M&B readers are grans...? Where's the harm? And I don't really see how they can canvas our opinion on every business arrangement, nor would I care.

Jane10 Wed 04-May-16 19:30:26

Why didn't you tell us about before telling everyone else in publishing world? As Elegran says you'd think lessons would have been learned from the 'Oldie' tie up. We, the Grans, are a live commodity, your consumers, some evaluation of opinions might have been sensible before forming this connection. I think you have misjudged Grans and am surprised and very disappointed.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-May-16 19:17:41

Hi all

First off - thanks for your thoughts. We've been doing this for far too long to underestimate our users for a second so please believe us when we say that this partnership is absolutely not about making assumptions about gransnetters or any sort of attempt to dumb down.

The partnership (which isn't a commercial one by the way - no money is changing hands in either direction) won't change thing or take anything away from the site. Our thinking is that it's a really good opportunity for us to add some new stuff: competitions, some content pages, the odd discussion and so forth.

Mills & Boon is one of the most successful long-running businesses in UK publishing history, and demographically there's a considerable crossover with the profile of Gransnet users. We don't really agree that a taste for romantic fiction means that you must be a bit thick or unable to handle conversations about particle physics or politics - but nor are we intending to present a picture (to the wider world) of gransnetters as being committed rippers of bodices. It's more a question of exploring how our two organisations might work together for the benefit of GN users and M&B readers (as well, of course, as both businesses).

Anyone who's been involved with our book club will know that we cover all sorts of fiction (and occasionally non-fiction) and that's never going to change. We also cover pretty much every subject under then sun in terms of content and forum discussions. That's not going to change either. smile

annodomini Wed 04-May-16 19:17:14

M&B issued a tape of advice for prospective authors which had my friend and me rolling on the floor. The title? 'Then he Kissed me'. I do wish I hadn't got rid of it.

BBbevan Wed 04-May-16 19:10:04

Well I have read one. Just to see what it was like. Been there, done that, don't need or want to do it again.

Bellanonna Wed 04-May-16 19:01:18

Never read one, never will. Find it rather patronising GNHQ

Welshwife Wed 04-May-16 18:55:54

About twenty years ago I knew a woman who wrote books forMills and Boon. She said she received a sort of plan of the story with a few details about the setting and the characters and what happened and all she needed to do was to sort of fill in the gaps!!! grin

Nelliemoser Wed 04-May-16 18:47:50

We all tried reading a few when I was in the NWR. I reached the point of feeling so annoyed by the tales of these very dependent women I came near to chucking the books across the room.

Would Mills and Boon like our thread on the difficulties caused by Atrophic Vaginitis. It rather interferes with romantic novels.

matson Wed 04-May-16 18:22:43

How patronising! ! Never read a mills and boon book in my life, and hopefully never feel the need to!

Jenty61 Wed 04-May-16 18:15:31

mills and boon books have come a long way since the early days...it seems theres a stigma attached that they cant get rid of...

www.theguardian.com/books/2009/sep/11/mills-boon-books-romance-love

kittylester Wed 04-May-16 18:10:03

In our Library romance and westerns are probably the most frequently borrowed books

Ana Wed 04-May-16 18:08:24

I had a look at the M&B online community website, and from the photos of members most of them are a lot younger than we are!

annodomini Wed 04-May-16 18:05:49

I read a few with a view to writing one. A friend and I wrote it together. It was rejected sad though they liked the dialogues which were my main contribution. However, I've never tried it again and my friend moved away which made collaboration difficult

phoenix Wed 04-May-16 18:05:00

I've never read one, and hopefully will never feel the need to!

Quite happy with my current reading habits, crime, the odd sort of strange/fantasy stuff (Angela Carter, Jeanette Winterson) Can't bear "formulaic" books, avoid Wilbur Smith because he is guilty of this!

shysal Wed 04-May-16 17:41:06

I hope this won't affect the choice of reading for the GN book club! I shan't be applying for a copy if it is M&B.