Gransnet forums

Chat

Early sumner

(48 Posts)
whitewave Fri 06-May-16 22:01:05

Must just say, that this evening I went into the garden to shut up the greenhouse, and it would be warm enough to sit out.

How good is that!!

gillybob Mon 09-May-16 10:24:27

We had an okay day on the North East coast yesterday. But that's all. We have had thick fog for the past 2 days and the bloomin' fog horn has kept me awake . It was really foggy early on and the sun came out late morning. I managed to get a few jobs done in the garden only for the fog to creep back at tea time. One of the downsides of living so close to the sea.

whitewave Mon 09-May-16 10:02:30

Cooler today in the South but still extremely pleasant.

Had a very warm night

Lilyflower Mon 09-May-16 09:44:50

While we had hail and snow last week the sun this weekend has been blissful. My DH and I spent the whole time outside walking round our village and pootling about and resting in the garden. We had an impromptu barbecue on the patio on Sunday evening with son, daughter and D's b/f and sat and watched the sun go down. It was like being on holiday.

Linsco56 Sun 08-May-16 22:58:54

It's been lovely and warm in south west Scotland today and have spent most of the day adding compost to my garden planters in readiness for buying my summer bedding plants tomorrow. Hands and back are aching but it was wonderful just being outside in the sunshine...really lifts my spirits. Long may it continue! smile

Pittcity Sun 08-May-16 21:48:32

Scorchio here in North Essex today. Sun very hot with a lovely breeze. Storm clouds gathering on the coast I hear.

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 21:40:39

According to my BBC weather app it is 19c at 11pm and only going down to 16c all night. I thought it was warm tonight.

thatbags Sun 08-May-16 20:53:32

Perfect day in Argyll at about 17° or 18° max. There will be colder days quite often during what is officially summer. #HowItGoes

EmilyHarburn Sun 08-May-16 20:21:17

Lovely and warm here in the North West. Had an 85 year old friend to lunch. Made Moussaka with asparagus followed by a frozen strawberry shortcake. We ate it outside on the deck, drank a glass of chilled white wine and had a gentle snooze listening to the river before stirring ourselves for a cup of tea. My friend who can no longer take holidays abroad said she had really enjoyed herself. That it was as good as as holiday. I took her home later and have now just watched David Attenborough's 90th birthday program. Husband has gone swimming. What a lovely day!!!

annsixty Sun 08-May-16 20:13:43

We have blackbirds nesting just outside our kitchen door in ivy on s trellis. Also a robin which visits many times a day and we hope is nesting. A lovely time of year.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 19:42:48

Yes. Blackbirds in Spring. Robins in Winter.

Judthepud2 Sun 08-May-16 19:36:01

After a truly miserable, wet, cold day yesterday and this morning, the sun has finally come out and the temperature has risen by 10C! Took the dog to the beach and she spent most of the time in the sea washing her ball.

Garden full of blackbird song! 2 calling to each other. The sound of spring to me, and special early in the morning because it has an echoey quality then. Has lulled me to sleep after many a restless night.

Enjoy early summer everyone. This is my birthday month and favourite time of year. ?

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 14:29:22

Blimey I'm sat in the shade in the conservatory and a sparrow just flew in after a fly caught it and flew out again. Good job the dog is comatose.

rosesarered Sun 08-May-16 13:42:12

Scorchio here too Alea so we did the gardening early and got back indoors by 11.Was closing our side gate when all of a sudden there was a mad fluttering on my hat! It was a bird of some kind ( never saw it) but it landed on my straw hat and I had a job to get rid if it, waving arms madly, wonder if it looked like good nesting material? It flew into the tree right next to the gate and refused to show itself but felt small, maybe a hedge sparrow or a wren.The best explanation is that there is a nest in the tree and I was being warned off.

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 13:13:29

Hot ! Hot! Hot!

Keep coming in and out if the garden to cool off. Wonderful.

We tend not to go out at weekends since we are retired so day relaxing.

Tessa101 Sun 08-May-16 13:10:13

Lovely and hot here in Hertfordshire,walked the dog for an hour this morning over Heartwood. Just eaten lunch in the garden I'm now sunbathing for the afternoon. Sunworshipper me!!! Everything seems to much better when the sun is out.And people have smiles on there faces.

Alea Sun 08-May-16 13:03:10

Scorchio here sunshinesunshinesunshine!!

KatyK Sun 08-May-16 12:40:19

It's lovely here today. Warm sunshine and the sound of ducks quacking and the odd boat chugging by on the canal on the other side of our fence smile

nipsmum Sun 08-May-16 11:50:55

Aberdeen is overcast and it was raining when I walked the dog. We had snow hail and frost last week and my new plants got frozen to death and need to be replaced. Enjoy the good weather when you have it I say.?

BBbevan Sun 08-May-16 11:35:46

We went to the nearby lakes this morning. Only sound , the birds. Heard a cuckoo. All the walkers just stopped and listened. Magic.

Greyduster Sun 08-May-16 11:00:54

I love blackbirds but I wish those round here wouldn't start singing before it's even light! I was awake at half past three this morning and there was one outside giving it large! What do they find to sing about at that time in the morning?? I shall have to threaten to withhold their apple ration if they don't quieten down! smile. We have starlings nesting somewhere inside our roofline at the moment, but we're damned if we can find out where they're getting in. They don't appear to be in the loft space so I think they must be in the soffit somewhere. I watched one this morning bringing food back and he/she was very unhappy that I was hanging about watching.

dizzygran Sun 08-May-16 10:46:54

Just about to take my coffee into the garden. There are squirrels running along the fence. Sun is shining and yesterday's rain has left everything fresh and green. We have pigeons nesting in the conifers - noisy and strutting around as though they own the place smile They are so big my young granddaughter thought they were ducks - not sure how to get them to pack their bags!!

tanith Sun 08-May-16 10:34:01

I was reading the papers with a cuppa in the garden and when I looked up there were two squirrels 2yrds from me in the tree queueing up to raid the bird feeder hanging there one hanging upside down reaching in with his paw for the nuts and two tiny wrens under them pecking up the bits of seed they were dropping..

Blissful....

Gagagran Sun 08-May-16 10:30:51

Our blackbird is singing his little heart too jings. Beautiful silvery song - he is the Pavarotti of the bird world. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 10:13:03

We are heading to the bluebell woods for a cold pizza (leftovers from yesterday) picnic. But first I have to cook the roast dinner. Sigh. But I can do it with the kitchen door open, whilst listening to our very noisy blackbird. smile

Gibby Sun 08-May-16 09:55:35

Another beautiful day, blue sky, fresh new leaves on the trees and birds singing in the garden., does it get better than this? The best things in life are free . . .