Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it fading away?

(114 Posts)
NonnaW Thu 30-Jun-16 09:42:22

I've just counted 14 'news & politics' threads on the Active forum. There were days earlier this week when it felt as if it was every other thread. Do we dare to hope that there are now other topics of conversation? I've been really pleased to see people making efforts at normal other threads. Let's get GN back towhat it was - a site for chat, laughs, and support!!

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 22:12:03

Just make some. You can have it whenever you want.

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 22:08:48

But what about the important bit, when can I have B&D again?

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 21:58:42

Yes, gand, hard animal fats are much more stable when heated than oils and hardened vegetable fats and can be heated to much higher temperatures before burning.

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 21:39:53

I seem to remember a TV programme that looked at fats when cooked, and lard was one of the better ones, many had toxic elements when heated. How long before I can have bread and dripping with plenty of salt again?

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 21:35:09

Nowt wrong with lard. I use it all the time for frying, and a dollop goes in my loaf recipe along with a dollop of butter. My mum did too. It's her eighty-seventh birthday today.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 20:35:47

hmm

Jalima Thu 30-Jun-16 20:32:22

Wherever there's a bit of a ding dong, there you will find GandTea.

Jolly good, we need a male perspective from time to time
Especially an engineer

DM and also DH's granny used to make bread pudding, I only made it once and it was like lead.
However, there is a nice place near us where we go sometimes for a stroll, picnic, they make a very good bread pudding and DH usually has a very large piece all to himself.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 20:25:11

Who the hell are you to judge me phoenix?!

TriciaF Thu 30-Jun-16 20:19:27

Me too phoenix.
No point these days anyway, even if we had extra to "put away" - interest rates too low.

phoenix Thu 30-Jun-16 20:13:41

Elegran what are "savings"??? All I have is the tub full of loose change that I bag up from time to time grin

Coolgran65 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:09:01

kateykrunch What about ditching the leaded glass. Paint the mahogany frame the colour of your walls.
You could then.....
Fill the inset with a piece of gathered fabric on curtain stretch wire top and bottom.
Or fill the inset with a piece of wood and paint it a couple of shades different.
Paint free hand a flower on the inset wood.
Use decoupage on the inset.

Oh, what about decoupage over the entirety of the old mahogany cupboard, glass and wood. Finished off with a few coats of Matt varnish. That should cost next to nothing.

Greyduster Thu 30-Jun-16 19:48:39

DH loves bread pudding, and I had a recipe off his mother, which I fell at the first fence with - as soon as it said "soak the bread" I was heading for the bathroom. The thought of bread soaked in any liquid turns my stomach. I told him after that if he wanted it, he could jolly well make it himself - and he did! I've never been tempted to eat it, but the kids loved it. My best friend now makes one for him whenever she makes it.

phoenix Thu 30-Jun-16 19:31:08

jings I think your comment of 14.17 was unworthy of you, surely you are better than that!

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 19:22:27

My MIL, used to make a mean bread pudding, Mrs P has never mastered her mum's recipe.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 19:19:38

GandTea, you certainly can have my share of the buns, and welcome to them. I am having some of these cupcake cupcake cupcake instead.

I wouldn't mind some of that bread and butter pudding though, tanith, if there's any to spare. Hold the lard though, please.

Now before I go, I'd better apologise for being banal. Sorry, Christinefrance flowers.

You can't do right for doing wrong on here smile

fiorentina51 Thu 30-Jun-16 19:06:27

Lard?! ?

tanith Thu 30-Jun-16 18:57:04

OH kept on and on at me to make a bread pudding with his old Mums recipe, I make my own recipe but he reckoned of course that it wasn't the same. So his sister e-mailed it to me oh my goodness it was a whole loaf of white bread with a 1lb of lard, sugar, milk and currants it sounded disgusting so I cheated and made a version of my own recipe, when he tried some he said 'just like me Mums'grin

harrigran Thu 30-Jun-16 18:49:04

DH has just been waxing lyrical about rock cakes, his mother used to make them by the ton. I stopped liking them when we had to make them in cookery lessons.
DH has now started asking if I have the recipe for his mother's bread, she taught me how to make it when she stayed with us for a couple of months. She was of a mind for me to bake fresh bread every day along with all the other things I had to do when the DC were tiny. I still had a twin tub and no dryer, no microwave in those days either. Come to think of it I actually fancy a bit of oven bottom cake, as she used to call the bread. For north easterners the nearest equivalent is stottie cake smile

Christinefrance Thu 30-Jun-16 18:47:50

Please don't let it all descend into the banal, been really interesting lately and some new posters.
Turbulent times at present so there are sure to be differences of opinion.

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 17:46:13

MM, can I have your buns ?

I quite like the political threads, but the often go on and on, and just repeat themselves. Also, they can bring out the worst when passions get inflamed.

As you say, I have learnt a lot from some of them, but I do get bored after a while. Give me a virtual engine to strip and re-build, you know where you are with grease & muck.

fiorentina51 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:44:31

I've just spent the afternoon in an air raid shelter. Met a lovely old chap who as a child of 7 was packed off to the countryside as an evacuee. He came home a month later as he couldn't cope with all the greenery! He described spending a fortnight in an Anderson shelter as the bombing was so intense his family couldn't risk staying in the house. When it rained they were knee deep in water. Food was scarce and the house behind theirs took a direct hit killing the family who lived there. That was Birmingham 1940. Puts things into perspective I think.

annodomini Thu 30-Jun-16 17:42:47

Elegran, my granny's piece de resistance was rock buns and I thought that they were made with rocks which might as well have been the case. I don't think I've had one since I was about 4.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 17:37:25

I don't like rock buns. We used to make them in Cookery at school and I think I associate them with that.

Before anyone accuses me of being spiteful, I'm sorry Elegran flowers

ffinnochio Thu 30-Jun-16 17:35:34

I've thoroughly enjoyed all the politicking - learnt a lot, too. Masses of informed comments and links. Find I slide over the irritations and get to the meat of opinions.

Beammeupscottie Thu 30-Jun-16 17:25:08

Gransnet is really, really boring without Politics.