Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking on the bright side

(28 Posts)
DaphneBroon Tue 25-Oct-16 12:58:41

As my train (Virgin) pullled into Euston this morning, instead of the usual computerised announcement a "real" person wished us a safe onward journey adding that as"it is nearly the weekend" (!) (it's Tuesday) he was wishing us a happy day, and started playing "Always look on the bright side of life" to keep us cheerful, even exhorting everybody to "join in" .
Did they? Hey, they're English, what do you think? sad
Made me smile and lifted my spirits though!!

Eloethan Wed 26-Oct-16 23:51:12

What a lovely photo Anya.

1974cookie Wed 26-Oct-16 18:27:22

What a lovely cheery post. It has absolutely made my day after having a major disappointment this morning.
More of them please.?.

Legs55 Wed 26-Oct-16 16:10:38

Skweek1 your announcer isn't alone in having a sense of humour - you need one for working on the Railways. Over the years I've heard some brilliant announcements thlsmile

Living in a small Devon town it's unusual for people not to say hello, good morning or pass the time of day. It's pleasant & makes the day seem better. A flirty encounter is a real "ego boost" & any-one who can make me laugh out loud - so welcome thlsmile

gulligranny Wed 26-Oct-16 13:56:04

Had a nice flirty moment in Wait rose this morning, always good to get a twinkling response from a nice looking chap whatever one's age! Sang in the car all the way home.

Rosina Wed 26-Oct-16 13:45:23

When I was in Dublin a few years ago a bus driver had the entire bus load of passengers laughing throughout with his droll quips about the everyday items, shops and people we could all see from the window - he should have had a professional career making people laugh. Everyone got off the bus with a smile.

harrigran Wed 26-Oct-16 13:32:48

We used to have a bus driver who gave a running commentary on each journey, it was so interesting because they were historical facts about buildings and parks.

marionk Wed 26-Oct-16 13:16:19

How delightful Anya, I hope I am that lady in a couple of decades! Maybe I will wear a red hat too!

Anya Wed 26-Oct-16 12:37:10

Nothing to do with trains but was in Oxford earlier this week and GD1 was listening to a street musician and started dancing to his music. An elderly woman came up and they just spontaneously started dancing together in the middle of the street.

It turned out she was 89 and I hope I'm as spry at that age.

Yes, raised a smile all round.

Skweek1 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:20:19

Some years ago I was travelling to work on an InterCity train in rush hour, when I was cheered up by the announcement "I must apologise for the delay to your journey this morning. It's because this train is over 20 years old, knackered and should have been scrapped years ago!" I was impressed by his honesty, but wondered how much longer he was going to be working. Love people showing signs of originality and a spark of gsoh.grin

Tudorrose Wed 26-Oct-16 12:17:11

I go to a dance class specifically for PD sufferers on a Friday afternoon. The young teacher is such a lovely girl. She comes bouncing in calling" happy Friday everyone"She welcomes people who have missed classes with hugs and kisses & seems genuinely interested in all of us

radicalnan Wed 26-Oct-16 12:10:10

Wonderful how the best things we can bestow on each other and strangers too are free of charge and just wit and kindness.

Keep it up all of us !!! (that sounds horribly rude but you know what I mean)

Deedaa Tue 25-Oct-16 21:00:11

When we had our last lot of really heavy snow 5 years ago everybody I met while out walking would greet me with a "Hallo" and a broad smile. With the beautiful white snow and brilliant sunshine you couldn't help it.

janeainsworth Tue 25-Oct-16 20:54:37

Yes Shanma I have had that thought on arriving at KingsX toogrin

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:13:38

Sorry life not laugh .....

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:12:01

I too have had that announcer on a train I was on. He never wished us a good weekend ( and it was Friday !) but he did say to have a nice day and sang 'Always look on the bright side of laugh', encouraging us to join in with the chorus. I was standing up getting my bag down, and said " altogether now" ... to be met with a sea of gloomy faces. Ah well you have to at least 1 idiot on board...Me ! I liked it anyway. I also liked it when he said the train was very busy so " if you don't have a heartbeat you don't get a seat. Made a boring journey a little different.

Greyduster Tue 25-Oct-16 14:54:41

When we were out walking on Friday, all but two of the people we met either offered us a greeting, or answered ours. Some even stopped for a word or two. The problems arise when you get 'trains' of walkers and you seem to be exchanging greetings forever! The same on Sunday when I was out with my son - I interrupted our conversation so many times to exchange pleasantries with people that he got to rolling his eyes in despair!

Shanma Tue 25-Oct-16 14:34:07

On a slightly different note regarding train journeys, it always gives me a wry smile when I hear the following

" This Train is now approaching Kings Cross Station, which will be your FINAL DESTINATION". I always think to myself, on hearing that
" I bloody well hope not I have things I still want to do!!"

grin

Shanma Tue 25-Oct-16 14:31:30

Almost everyone around here says 'morning, 'afternoon, Lovely day or whatever is appropriate smile.

I guess you couldn't really do it in the City, too many people in too much of a hurry. I must say though when I went to London a few years ago, alone, I was a little nervous that people would be very unfriendly, and probably want to murder me!. Not so! If I asked directions I found everyone extremely friendly and helpful, most of them even adding where I could go to see interesting things, or get a good coffee. On the whole I think it is how one approaches People which determines the response. We even found People helpful in Naples, and that has a hell of a reputation. I love the place though smile

Jalima Tue 25-Oct-16 14:15:55

Lovely, I expect it brightened everyone's day even if they didn't sing or hum!!

The unspoken country code - smile, nod and say Good Morning (or Afternoon), bit wet isn't it/lovely day etc!
Apart from well-known country person near us who doesn't speak at all.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Oct-16 14:15:04

Have you ever had the poet on a Virgin train - he does amazing announcements - all as long rhymes and verses. So entertaining.

annsixty Tue 25-Oct-16 14:01:59

When I walk through our local park to get to the main road everyone says good morning or hello,nice day, when I reach the main road it is like a foreign country, everyone keeps their head down and eyes averted. I find it very strange as it does lift ones spirits.
Did you sing along Daphne?

tanith Tue 25-Oct-16 14:00:20

There is an announder at Paddington Station who does that sometimes it makes everyone smile.
I do say good morning when out walking but its amazing how many people either ignore me or look at me as if I'm mad confused

KatyK Tue 25-Oct-16 13:54:40

Lovely! On my walk up to the shops this morning, two (separate) strangers said 'good morning' as I went past. It cheered me up no end. smile

nanaK54 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:39:27

Good man,I like that a lot!

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 13:03:52

I forgot that you were going to see Flynn this morning. That man was trying to brighten up your day- the tube station staff would not be so friendly- if you saw any that is!