Gransnet forums

Chat

Autumn

(67 Posts)
PRINTMISS Tue 23-Sep-14 15:52:14

I love this time of year, I know it is a winding down time, and a sign that the colder days are coming, but the mornings of mist with spiders webs dripping dew, the beautiful sun-rises we are seeing on some occasions and the bright red glow in the skies as the sun sets at the end of the day, I find all very satisfying in some way. I think there is a peacefulness about this time of year, when the countryside is satisfied with itself, the harvest has been sown and reaped, and the fruit ripe for the picking. Soon the leaves will start to turn a blaze of fantastic colours and the season will end, so I am making the most of the lovely days we are having at the moment.

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Sep-14 15:57:08

I would love autumn as my favourite month - if only it wasn't a harbinger of winter.

Anya Tue 23-Sep-14 16:04:57

We must be kindred spirits NfkDumpling I love autumn too but not what follows.

Charleygirl Tue 23-Sep-14 16:08:14

Could not agree more. What is going through my mind at present is that every evening without the heating on is a bonus.

TerriBull Tue 23-Sep-14 16:27:32

Autumn can be wonderful, especially with the Indian summers we have been having. I love the early morning mists with the sun just filtering through, and the glorious russet/golden leaves. It's a conker heaven where I live they are raining down thick and fast. The downside of Autumn is that Winter will follow and the question mark weather it can bring, but for the moment I'm making the most of the warm weather that we are lucky enough to have.

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 16:43:05

Autumn is ma favourite season too- the colours here are amazing, and the skies so so bright... and I am possibly the only GNetter who is truly looking forward to a real, cold and snowy winter, up here in t'mountains. Last year was rubbish- almost like an English winter - doh.

FlicketyB Tue 23-Sep-14 16:43:15

I love autumn and winter, but autumn is so special because of its glorious colours. Much of my wardrobe is in autumnal colours, high autumnal colours, yellows and crimsons and colours like that.

In the current glorious weather I cannot wait to get out on my daily walk to see the sun shining through the yellowing leaves and walk through the leaves littering all the footpaths.

Come the winter I am cosy and warm at home and can always light the stove for extra warmth and add the smell of burning logs to lifes pleasures.

shysal Tue 23-Sep-14 16:54:00

Of course the autumn colour is beautiful, but I hate the darker mornings and evenings, with the promise of winter to come. Give me Spring any day!

goldengirl Tue 23-Sep-14 17:05:41

Hear, hear Shysal!

HollyDaze Tue 23-Sep-14 17:28:01

I love autumn too but then, I like all the seasons for different reasons (not too keen on the very hot summers we've been having though).

There is a drive on the Island through an area called Tholt-y-Will which is mainly plantation and on lovely autumn morning, especially when the sun is shining, looking down from the mountain road, the view of the trees all various shades of reds, golds, browns and still some green is often breathtaking to look at. Nature really can be so beautiful.

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 17:54:37

I also love autumn for all the foraging, lots of wild mushrooms, wild raspberries and blackberries, etc.

Flowerofthewest Tue 23-Sep-14 23:32:08

Rutting Deer, my favourite pass time in the Autumn. Love going to Woburn Park and watching the Red Deer calling, chasing and rutting. Autumn is my favourite season too.

Flowerofthewest Tue 23-Sep-14 23:32:33

meant pastime (oops, don't know what happened there)

harrigran Tue 23-Sep-14 23:43:10

I love the colours of the trees at this time of the year. I was married in October and went to the Lakes for my honeymoon, the early morning mist over the fells was fabulous.

kittylester Wed 24-Sep-14 07:14:13

I love Autumn too! I love the colours, the rain, the sunshine, the chill, the warmth, being cosy, getting cold and the smugness of being inside!

I take great pleasure in the changing seasons and I'm sorry for all of you who suffer from SAD - it must be awful to approach the long dark months knowing the effect it has. sad

Gagagran Wed 24-Sep-14 07:31:29

We lived near Woburn Flower until we moved to the south coast in 2012 and I know what you mean about the deer park in autumn. I loved driving through it on our way to wherever we were going. Do you go to the Oyster Festival?

I volunteered in the Heritage Centre in Woburn for a number of years and it is a beautiful village which looks especially stunning at Christmas when all the festive lights are lit. Happy days!

NanKate Wed 24-Sep-14 07:38:59

Harrigran I too got married in October. I remember my mum saying 'why do you want to be married when it is chilly and grey'. Well 23.10.71 dawned to a beautiful blue sky, the sun came out and there was wall to wall sunshine. We couldn't afford a honeymoon so we drove to our new home and spent a very happy week settling in. There was not a drop of rain all week. Where did those 43 years go ?

Iam64 Wed 24-Sep-14 08:30:14

Autumn was my favourite season until my mid 50's, when I began to properly appreciate the joys that spring brings. I still love the autumn though, and am especially enjoying this one, with its warm sunshine to enhance the beauty of the colours.

hildajenniJ Wed 24-Sep-14 09:16:16

The Autumnal Equinox, when the nights become longer than the days. I must say I am NOT an autumn lover. The colours are lovely but I prefer the spring time, with the promise of the long days and short nights, when the birds start to sing at 03.00, and the summer visitors start arriving, ie, the swallows and house martins and of course the swifts. Winter has it's beauty, but it is cold and usually, here in the north, miserable.

"Where are the days of spring, aye, where are they".

kittylester Wed 24-Sep-14 10:17:23

We wanted to get married on September 19th but some friends beat us to it so, instead, we opted for October 10th. It poured with rain on their wedding day and ours was sunny and bright but a little blustery.

That was 1970 and indeed,*nankate*, where did the time go!

Greenfinch Wed 24-Sep-14 10:57:43

I find I am sleeping a lot better now that the darker evenings and mornings are with us. Nights are comfortable and days are pleasant.

JoyBloggs Wed 24-Sep-14 14:04:06

PRINTMISS Thank you. I loved your words about Autumn, and feel just the same about this season. My birthday and wedding anniversary are both in October and are often wonderful crisp, sunny days.

jamsidedown Wed 24-Sep-14 14:14:58

Autumn is second favourite, behind Spring. I have mixed feelings about Summer as I am a Goldilocks sort of girl - I like the temperature neither too hot nor too cold, but just right! After the Summer it is so lovely to go out into the garden and feel that crispness in the air that comes on a blue Autumn day. I do enjoy the long Summer evenings with a glass of something cold and white though!

JoyBloggs Wed 24-Sep-14 14:19:33

NanKate Snap! We too were married on 23.10.1971 and the weather was amazing. I will never forget the warmth of the sun on my face when the pics were taken. Can it really be nearly 43 years ago? flowers

NanKate Wed 24-Sep-14 14:33:55

Well how lovely Joy to find someone else married on the same day and year. Whenever there is blue sky and sunshine in the Autumn I say 'this is just like our wedding day'.

I wish I could relive my life but with the knowledge I have now.

For our Ruby Wedding our DS had made up a lovely album of photos of us during those years. No doubt when the grandchildren look at it in a year or two they will ask who that young couple was. hmm