Gransnet forums

Chat

So that's where it's gone - things where they shouldn't be

(42 Posts)
Icyalittle Wed 15-Oct-14 15:03:31

We had our 16 month old DGS to stay over the weekend. So far, I've retrieved a loo brush from the dirty linen basket, lemon squeezer from a cereal box, a complete set of wooden coasters from inside a large lantern (he'd removed the huge candle to make room), and a blueberry squished between iPad and its cover (trying to turn an Apple into a BlackBerry?). It makes a change from our occasional senile wallet in the fridge type losses. Anybody else who has had to play hunt-the-whatever like this?

pompa Wed 15-Oct-14 15:13:24

I have to do that every day, and I can only blame myself. Woodturning is one of my many hobbies. I stand in front of my lathe and do not move. So anything I use MUST be put down within arms length of my position. Can I find stuff I have used, no way, I spend ages trying to find things I have just used. When I'm building boats or planes, the situation gets worse because I do move about a bit. I have 3 walking sticks, lost all of them yesterday confused

hildajenniJ Wed 15-Oct-14 15:24:45

Yes Icyalittle all the time. OH is continually asking "have you seen my car keys, work trousers, coat I was wearing yesterday", etc. I have a notion that it is laziness on his behalf. He has me to think for him, so he doesn't bother.

Little people are marvellous at squirrelling things away though. Last time I was at DD's house DGS 22 months had put a saucepan (clean) in the washing machine, and his favourite soft toy doggy into the dishwasher. It's a blessing we didn't turn either machine on before checking them.smile

Icyalittle Wed 15-Oct-14 15:36:01

Oh yes pompa, I think that the way inanimate objects suddenly hide themselves is the later-in-life version of teenage poltergeists. A pen that was actually IN YOUR HAND 5 seconds ago can magically disappear for hours, only to reappear where you have looked half a dozen times.
hildajenniJ when my DH asks if I have seen something he says he's looked for, I ask 'Was that an Icy look, or did you just go in the room?' grin

Crafting Wed 15-Oct-14 18:09:30

I am constantly losing my glasses (I have 4 pairs - bi focal, which I can't get on with, driving glasses, reading glasses and prescription sunglasses). All are various shades of brown and I can never find them because I can't see them! I know, I know...if I did what my DH is always telling me to do and put them in the proper place then I wouldn't lose them grin. We also had 3 little mischievous elves who used to come and hide things from us but they are a bit more grown up now.

Faye Wed 15-Oct-14 18:25:13

My brother phoned me and while I was talking to him I started looking for my phone. confused It took me a few minutes to realise why I couldn't find it.

kittylester Wed 15-Oct-14 18:31:54

In the hot trolley - luckily unplugged!!

So far, since they moved in here, we have found DD's glasses, all the jigsaws, DGD's brand new shoes, a welly, every writing pad and pen we own, DGS's pyjamas and slippers. We are wise to it now but it was a bit of a puzzle to start with!

I just hope I manage to remember to check inside before I switch it on for C*******s lunch!

absent Wed 15-Oct-14 18:31:55

I used to have a cat with a magpie-type love of shiny objects and small items. I regularly used to search the cat bed and find missing earrings, scent bottles, keys and tiny toys.

Mishap Wed 15-Oct-14 18:50:57

My long grabber turned up behind the satellite dish after my 3 year old DGS had visited!!

Icyalittle Wed 15-Oct-14 19:21:18

kittylester grin that was a sneaky place!

Nelliemoser Wed 15-Oct-14 19:24:41

I have lost two gel cold packs. I have no idea where they are, not in my freezer, ?in DDs freezer 50 miles away.

Or in the garage where I put the cold box etc while I was defrosting the freezer a couple of months back.
Added to the problem is that I am having my kitchen done and the cupboard contents are piled around the furniture in two rooms.

I give up.

FlicketyB Wed 15-Oct-14 19:32:04

After DS and family go home I spend an hour crawling around the house rescuing clothes, toys and soft toys from under furniture and down beds and end up with various toys I keep neatly lined up on a bed waiting for the missing bits to gradually re-appear over the next three weeks.

rosequartz Wed 15-Oct-14 19:47:34

Oh yes, I have been praying to St Anthony all day but so far he has not responded. I have lost something precious belonging to DD (but she did lose it in the first place, then it was found, now gone again).

He helps quite often but seems to have deserted me lately! Perhaps there are too many others needing his help.

Icyalittle Wed 15-Oct-14 20:52:36

Give him time. You never know.

Marmight Wed 15-Oct-14 21:09:08

I keep finding odd pieces of Lego in strange places - today's was inside a cushion cover - the GC's went home on 13th August.
Last summer, 2013, I mislaid a much loved coat and turned the house upside down searching for it, eventually deciding it was lost for ever. It turned up in May this year in my son-in-law's wardrobe when he was clearing out ready for house renovations.

Starling Wed 15-Oct-14 23:40:24

My aunt once lost a trifle she had made in a big bowl. We think her daughter aged about 3 hid it. I can't remember where it was found but many days had passed.

FlicketyB Thu 16-Oct-14 07:40:44

That is impressive!

pompa Thu 16-Oct-14 07:49:33

Bupa has just published a list of the top ten things we all forget, regardless of age. perhaps we beat our selves up too much :-

1. Forgetting why you've walked into a room.

2. Mislaying your keys.

3. Not knowing why you've gone shopping.

4. 'What was my password, again?'

5. Forgetting where you left your phone.

6. Remembering if you've locked up.

7. Forgetting what day of the week it is.

8. Not being able to put a face to a name.

9. Forgetting a colleague’s name.

10. Missing a birthday or anniversary.

Professor Graham Stokes, Director of Dementia Care at Bupa explains that these moments are not usually cause for concern:

“Regardless of your age, from time to time we all forget where we put our keys or what we went upstairs for.

"While occasional memory blots should not to be mistaken with the onset of dementia, these forgetful moments do give a sense of what living with dementia can feel like, and the emotions someone living with the disease can experience.”

While we can all suffer from memory blanks like these from time to time, if you think that your memory lapses or those of others are becoming more frequent, talk to a doctor.

Liz46 Thu 16-Oct-14 08:08:43

Like Crafting, it's glasses with me. My grand daughter's face was a picture when I said 'the fairies have got my glasses again'. She had just had a visit from the tooth fairy so took me literally! When I am leaving her house she checks that I have my glasses, bless her. I have partly solved the problem by buying several pairs of reading glasses from a pound shop.

kittylester Thu 16-Oct-14 09:12:17

On the top step outside the back door!

3 toy bricks, a toy ambulance and a confused cat trying to work out how to access it's the cat flap! grin

kittylester Thu 16-Oct-14 09:12:36

its

harrigran Thu 16-Oct-14 10:49:17

My spare distance glasses have gone missing. I took them on holiday in August and I haven't seen them since. I have turned out every handbag, DH has been in the loft and checked the suitcases, I have rummaged in drawers and turned my pristine bedroom into an untidy mess. I stayed with DD on holiday so I know I didn't leave them there unless she is telling porkies and hasn't cleaned the guest suite yet grin

Elegran Thu 16-Oct-14 10:58:44

Are they under the car seat? That was where mine once turned up.

pompa Thu 16-Oct-14 11:06:22

I lost a phone a while ago, searched everywhere (except the right place), phoned all the shops we had visited, tried ringing it etc. it never got used and eventually gave up any hope of finding it. In a fit of temper, because she could not find a recipe Linda tipped the contents of the file box she keeps all her recipes in on the floor, lone behold, my phone. How it got in there we will never know.

Elegran Thu 16-Oct-14 11:14:29

I have lost a little clip-on MP3 music player with earphones. I used to wear it a lot around the house, and transferred the contents of dozens of CDs to it.

Then it vanished. After several weeks I found it again - in a box with some craft or sewing work that I had been doing. I left it there as it seemed a "safe" place and I would be wearing it when I next did the craft/sewing.

Now I can't find it again, and I can't remember what it was in with. I have looked in every storage box I can think of (I have quite a lot) but it is in none of them. It is SO annoying, because I could have moved it when it fleetingly re-appeared.