Gransnet forums

Chat

Quandry

(24 Posts)
Nonu Sat 25-Oct-14 18:33:12

We got back from hols. last Friday, whilst we were away it was my birthday.I planned it that way as I am uninterested in Birthdays these days --had too many of them!

On Monday I received from DD and family, a super bouquet of flowers for a birthday gift and homecoming, she has done it for last couple of years - sweet girl !

Thing of it is, by Wednesday they were more or less finished , the roses Mr N bought for me Monday are just fine.

He has said, don"t say anything , but I just feel she would be really cross that had lasted such a short time, and would complain to Waitrose.

What to do ?
smile

tanith Sat 25-Oct-14 18:35:39

I think I would say something , she will know you are not criticizing her choice but wanting her to get value for her money..

merlotgran Sat 25-Oct-14 18:45:01

I had the same dilemma about six weeks ago, Nonu My brother sent me a lovely bouquet of roses when Mum died but they arrived two days later than they should have done. He must have wondered why I hadn't thanked him because I received a jokey text about 'deliveries' and I didn't know what on earth he was on about. His sense of humour is more than a little off the wall so I didn't pay it much attention.

When the flowers finally arrived they were OK ish but definitely not in tip top condition. I was furious because he is such a kind man and it was a lovely thing to do. I wanted to ring him and urge him to complain but that would make it look as though I was dissatisfied. In the end I rang his son and he advised me to thank my brother but say nowt about the late delivery.

Doesn't it make you angry though? I think the blighters rely on the fact that the recipient won't want to complain so they get away with it. angry

Tegan Sat 25-Oct-14 18:47:35

I think I'd say nothing to whoever bought them but contact Waitrose and complain myself.

thatbags Sat 25-Oct-14 18:48:18

Good thinking, tegan.

Mishap Sat 25-Oct-14 18:55:37

This has happened to me too - I htink tegan's suggestion is a good one.

My OH once came home with a bunch of what I call "garage flowers" for me and they quite literally lost every petal as I put them in the vase. I felt really cross, as they had truly seen him coming.

Nonu Sat 25-Oct-14 19:11:52

OK , good idea to contact Waitrose but the order Number was thrown away with box they were delivered in!

Tell you what, I am really p------d off, surely they should have lasted longer than two days !!

{SAD FACE}

janeainsworth Sat 25-Oct-14 19:15:25

I would complain Nonu.
I once sent someone some flowers not realising they would be away.
The florist just left them outside the flat and they were there when my friends got back.
They said the flowers were ok but I was livid that the florist hadn't rung before trying to deliver, and then just left them anyway!
They were very apologetic and my friend received another bouquet.

Liz46 Sat 25-Oct-14 19:18:44

This happened to me too. My daughter must have spent a lot of money on a huge bouquet. It was so awful when it arrived that I took a photo and sent it to the large organisation in charge. They sent an additional, smaller bunch, using a different florist, as an apology.

MiniMouse Sat 25-Oct-14 19:20:09

Yes, complain to the shop. My son bought me an arrangement from the well-known company that delivers - it was a pathetic display & the florist was embarrassed that the company specified what she could use & how many flowers to use. She had sneaked a couple of extras in, but it was listed as Blue display & had one not-quite-blue flower in amongst the rest, which were white!

I made absolutely sure that said company knew I was complaining about them and not the florist and they sent a voucher to replace it.

I used the voucher to order a small hamper from them & had to complain about that, too, as one of the lids had come off a jar!!

Another voucher! - as yet unused . . .

annsixty Sat 25-Oct-14 19:20:26

I don't think we complain enough. As a nation we tend to "not want to make a fuss". I did this for a long time but at my age I have got over it and it does pay off.

MiniMouse Sat 25-Oct-14 19:23:34

You're right Annesixty but I'm getting the hang of it now grin

sunseeker Sat 25-Oct-14 19:50:38

Not quite the same category but I bought some flowers from Waitrose to put on DH grave. The next day I unwrapped them at the cemetery the petals fell off more than half of them. I threw the whole bunch away but later emailed Waitrose complaints department and they refunded my money

I think you should contact Waitrose, explain the problem and ask if they would let you have another bouquet. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Kiora Sat 25-Oct-14 19:56:29

My sister sent me flowers from M&S they lasted less than a week I complained and they sent another without any fuss. After all its not a cheap gift is it. the whole point is for you to enjoy them. So complain and good luck

grannyactivist Sat 25-Oct-14 20:08:55

I bought flowers from Waitrose and within two days several of them had died. I took a couple of the flowers back along with the receipt and was told I could choose any flowers from the display plus I was given my money back.

rosequartz Sat 25-Oct-14 20:10:08

I had a bouquet from Waitrose as a thank you from DN and his wife and they lasted for quite a while - they included roses.
You could complain to Waitrose yourself.

DD2 sent some orchids (flowers not a plant) and they lasted for weeks.

janeainsworth Sat 25-Oct-14 20:10:15

I always use Direct2florist now.
It's a website that has links to florists in the area you want the flowers sent to. Your deal is with the individual florist, so it's much easier if anything goes wrong as you contact them, and of course it's in their interests to put things right, otherwise they might get taken off Direct2florist's website and lose business. They seem better value for money than that other, well-known company.
I've only ever had one disappointing experience (see previous post) which was quickly and satisfactorily rectified.
No connection with direct2florist, just a satisfied customer!

annsixty Sat 25-Oct-14 20:27:39

On another subject altogether I bought meat from M&S for a special dinner for friends and it was not good. I e-mailed them and was refunded fully after returning the packaging to the store. As I said above we do not complain enough when it is justified.

Gagagran Sat 25-Oct-14 20:29:42

My DDiL and 2 DGDs have left today after a few days staying with us during the girls' half term as DS is away on business. Yesterday they gave me a beautiful bouquet of roses and lilies - very fresh and really top quality. I was thrilled to bits. And guess where they came from.............

ALDI! Top marks to them! smile

Coolgran65 Sat 25-Oct-14 22:25:46

I always always complain to the florist if flowers aren't up to scratch. Cut orchids with collapsed stem the second day, petals falling off red roses. Etc.

Wouldn't worry about not having an order number, a name and address of delivery should be sufficient to trace the order.

A friend who is a florist refuses to do orders via the big organisations as their limits for blooms are so meagre that she would be embarrassed to have her card on the display.

When sending flowers abroad I Google for a local florist in the recipient's postal code and telephone direct or order on their website. Don't use any big flower delivery company.

Always found that local Asda flowers last for about 3weeks.

glammanana Sat 25-Oct-14 22:40:18

Nonu Welcome home nice to see your name up in lights grin I would certainly go into Waitrose and make your complaint heard,they will be able to find your order from your address details and the date delivered,I have always found M&S flowers have lasted 10/14 days and Sainsbury's Carnations have lasted up to a month at one time but I think they where exceptional.

janerowena Sun 26-Oct-14 00:13:49

Please don't complain to your daughter, it will really upset her - my mother is always doing that to us sisters. I know she doesn't want us to waste our money, but frankly I would rather send her another bunch than hang on to an automated system and get sent all round the houses, and then have to say that the flowers aren't good enough when I can't even see them for myself.

I'm sorry that your flowers were bad, though. I know it must have been disappointing. I think it happens to me pretty much every Valentine's day - but I appreciate the thought more than the flowers.

Nonu Sun 26-Oct-14 13:09:50

Just a quickie, I have decided to take the bull by the horns after your good advice and have E.Mailed Waitrose. So will let you know in due course what happened!

Off now to lunch with DD (2) & her partner, roast chicken with all nice accompaniments (so I am told) PLUS roast garlic, of which I am V fond, all washed down with a cheeky little Sauvigon Blanc .

Thanks GLAM for your welcome, we had the best time (HUG).
smile

Stansgran Sun 26-Oct-14 13:40:54

I had that problem with M&S gift flowers. They lasted no time at all and because there was no gift card they wouldn't tell me who it was from. Data protection and all that. I took a photo with the date the flowers arrived and the date I was throwing the flowers out on my iPad.