Gransnet forums

Chat

What jobs do you put off doing?

(54 Posts)
vegasmags Mon 27-Oct-14 14:04:22

I've had a busy morning baking and getting ready to go to Durham tomorrow to see my DS and family. I know I need to check the tyre pressure before a long journey, and I even have a plug in gadget to do the hard work for me, but this is a job I really hate doing and I usually put it off until I can put if off no more. What other jobs do people put off until the last minute?

Mishap Mon 27-Oct-14 14:06:35

Just about all jobs round the house - they do not turn me on one bit, and life is very short.

Scooter58 Mon 27-Oct-14 14:08:25

Cleaning the oven,hate it.

tanith Mon 27-Oct-14 14:40:56

You know after all these years of driving (30yrs 20 of them professionally) I still hate filling up the car, I have no idea why if I can get away with it I con OH into doing it or at least coming with me.... have no idea what thats all about but its one chore I put off and off...

Also cleaning the oven and ironing hate the both of them.

janerowena Mon 27-Oct-14 14:58:13

Ironing. So boring and I don't have a tv near the ironing board.

Filling up with petrol! I have to go out of my way and always leave it until too late to leave so there is never enough time.

Writing xmas cards.

Posting off anything. I hate wrapping things, and having to make a trip to the post office, as I can't park nearby.

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Oct-14 15:08:37

I put off ironing for as long as possible. Usually only doing it as needed.

I hate cleaning the oven.

Whoopee! OH is hoovering as we speak. This is almost unknown, what's happened to him? I don't care, I like it!!grin

Tegan Mon 27-Oct-14 15:17:17

All of them sad...

grannyactivist Mon 27-Oct-14 15:19:59

Sorting out my paperwork. It's taking over my desk at the moment and I will do it eventually, but I find it a really tedious task.

nightowl Mon 27-Oct-14 15:24:00

Like Tegan, everything. I'm the world's worst procrastinator. I even make up jobs to do to avoid doing the ones I hate even more.

Tegan Mon 27-Oct-14 15:31:36

Fight you for the title, nightowl.....!

Tegan Mon 27-Oct-14 15:33:45

.....in fact my teacher even put it on my school report...'Tegan would do better if she didn't procrastinate so much'. I had to look it up cause I didn't know what it meant confused...

numberplease Mon 27-Oct-14 15:36:52

Any houseworky jobs!

Eloethan Mon 27-Oct-14 15:38:54

I've really really gone off cooking. Unfortunately it can't be postponed like other household chores can.

chloe1984 Mon 27-Oct-14 15:40:25

I loathe any sort of sewing , so button replacing / repairing hems etc is a chore and always the last thing that I do. Have been known to repair a hem with staples ! blush

nightowl Mon 27-Oct-14 16:04:00

I assure you it can be put off Eloethan. I am quite capable of putting off cooking even when I'm starving so that I reach a point where I think 'Sod it, I'll have a sandwich'.

Tegan, we'll have to have a contest on that one. Not sure how that would go. Between us we'd never get around to arranging it grin

Lona Mon 27-Oct-14 16:21:53

I hate checking my tyre pressure too, but I can go just round the corner to a tyre place, and they'll check it for me, and I still put it off!
Last time I went I had a 2" cut in one of the tyres! shock

I also put off filing away my bank statements etc until there's a big pile hmm

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Oct-14 16:54:21

All of the things.
I now just ask DH to clean the oven because he's 'really good at it'.

Always iron at tv.

Kiora Mon 27-Oct-14 17:11:52

I am putting off all the jobs I hate until somtime between March 2016 and 2018 when I retirewink

shysal Mon 27-Oct-14 17:18:39

It always takes me a few days to work myself up to mow my steep lawn or cut my side of next door's tall Leylandii hedge. I am fine once I start, although it is hot work. I make myself check car tyres and fluid levels every time I wash the car, but they rarely need topping up, except screen wash.
Since Oven Pride came on the market, I love seeing the dazzling results after cleaning the oven, with no effort, and do the baking tins at the same time.
I just don't notice the accumulation of dust and grime around the house, and only clean up if the mood takes me or the sun shows it up. I can barely see through the windows, but there will come a day when I feel motivated, and it certainly doesn't worry me. I wasn't put on this earth to do excessive cleaning! thlsmile

SueD Mon 27-Oct-14 17:19:27

I'm with number please. Housework is soooo boring. Used to have a
cleaner. when I was working and she was worth her weight in gold. Now retired and I would rather spend that money on travel/ holidays "whilst we can". OH and I tend to have a blitz about once a fortnight (I do spruce up bathrooms on a regular basis - not a total slut!) and I do find that staying tidy does detract from the dust.

Marmight Mon 27-Oct-14 17:26:09

I used to hate emptying the dishwasher and putting it all away; the same with clean laundry. DH used to do the former and I eventually, once the laundry had finally arrived on the bed, had to deal with it in order to get into the bed! Now, I have to do everything. The only thing I put off is important paperwork as it frightens me to death. I had a horrible few days last week tracking down all the necessary for my Tax Return. I am completely useless when it comes to filing and dealing with utilities/insurance/bank etc and my way of dealing with it is to not deal with it until the 11th hour when I absolutely have to confused.

Agus Mon 27-Oct-14 17:27:10

I hate ironing, so much, I send it out to be done.
I get a man in every 6 months to clean the oven.
Hate filling up the car
Ditto emptying the dishwasher.
Hate making up a fresh bed although I do love to get into it when it's all done.
So fed up cooking now but luckily DH, upon retirement, has taken an interest in that department although some nights we also say sod it and have sandwiches or a take away delivered. Just don't have the same appetite we once had.

For years I did the some of the above as part of a daily/weekly routine, now however, I just cannot be bothered but I think I put off some of the jobs partly due to lack of energy now.

Agus Mon 27-Oct-14 17:36:08

The thought of the paperwork frightens me to death too Marmight

pompa Mon 27-Oct-14 18:09:16

Putting off most jobs atm, for some reason I cannot summon the enthusiasm for many things, perhaps it's the darkening nights.

I did, today, do a job I have been meaning to do for 2 years, replace the power switch on my bench planer (only because I really needed to use it)

apricot Mon 27-Oct-14 18:12:13

Hate dusting, cleaning the bathroom. putting out the bins, any DIY.
I don't ever clean the oven, it's supposed to do that itself so I leave it to it.
I like ironing and cooking, especially baking.