Gransnet forums

Chat

Children's Parties

(13 Posts)
NanKate Sun 23-Nov-14 16:49:49

A friend asked me if I had noticed how children's parties have changed over the years and that nowadays the parents stay on at the party with the children and the wine flows freely. grin

Have you noticed this ?

tiggypiro Sun 23-Nov-14 17:24:39

Oh yes ! And also how the parents help the kids to pile up their plates with food most of which has one bite taken out and then left. And a present in each layer of pass the parcel - what is that all about ? At one party I went to with DGS one rather savvy young man made sure he passed the parcel on if it stopped at him as he knew that everyone got a turn and the last prize was best. He was rather disappointed when I stood behind him !

Nonu Sun 23-Nov-14 17:43:20

How also the expectations are so much greater.

G/S has asked DD if he can have his party at the local Go Kart Track , which if she goes ahead will cost £200.

It is all going OTT IMO
hmm

numberplease Sun 23-Nov-14 17:47:17

I certainly couldn`t afford to stage a child`s birthday party nowadays. When my children were small (5 of them), they were allowed to ask 6 friends, we had the party at home, with games, the prizes were from a large box of things kept under the counter at the local newsagents specially for that purpose, just little things, not expensive, but they liked winning them anyway. And parents didn`t stay with their offspring back then. Nowadays, the whole class is invited, and you`re expected to buy each child who comes a present, and the parties are held in various expensive establishments. We used to give each child a piece of birthday cake and a lucky bag on leaving, and they were well received.

FlicketyB Sun 23-Nov-14 17:48:55

DGC are 4 and 7 and I cannot say I have seen this happening with the parties they have and go to. Their birthdays are celebrated by either a family celebration including families of their closest friends, may be two or three, which will include a buffet lunch and a little wine, although most people opt for soft drinks or an outing somewhere. Last year DGD took 9 friends to a farm park. The mothers of her three closest friends attended to help with supervision, as did DH and I. No food or drink for helpers except what DGD's parents bought, no alcohol on sale and the children got a standard hamburger and chip lunch followed by ice cream.

The parties she goes to seem to be similar. I did take her to one party at one of those climbing frame sheds attached to a pub. Any parents staying bought their own drinks and didn't eat and most were on soft drinks.

annodomini Sun 23-Nov-14 18:09:12

For one of my GD's parties, DiL thought it would be a good idea to make a donation to a children's charity instead of giving away party bags. The parents thought it would be a good idea - not so the children!

Mishap Sun 23-Nov-14 18:11:51

There does seem to be a bit of a competition going in some circles to have the best, most imaginative and most expensive party.

Our children had very simple affairs and I was always glad when they came to an end - other people's children - heaven spare me!

Nonu Sun 23-Nov-14 18:33:46

I have to point out also my G/s is not what I would call a greedy, grabbing child.
He seems nicely balanced and does well at school, as indeed the other one does .
smile

vampirequeen Sun 23-Nov-14 19:23:16

DD is worried about DGD's 5th birthday in January as, at her school, it has become the norm to invite everyone in the class. DD can't afford a party for 30 children even if she had the room or the inclination.

She's already explained to DGD that parties cost a lot of money and that there is no way she can invite 29 friends.

Penstemmon Sun 23-Nov-14 19:35:22

Just helped DGD2 to type her invitations for her 6th birthday party in early December. It is being held in the local school hall and I think she was allowed about 15 friends. They will play the usual /traditional games and DD2 & I will manage it and actively encourage parents to leave! A couple of hours free to Xmas shop on a Saturday lunchtime??
DD2 is perfectly happy to 'undercut' the competitive parents when it comes to party bag gifts and sticks to cake/balloon and a small item(pencil/stickers etc) linked to the party theme. Pirates on this occasion!

suzied Sun 23-Nov-14 19:36:13

When my eldest DS had a party we took a few friends to the park and had a picnic and game of cricket ( his birthday is in July), youngest DS birthday January, sometimes we managed to get away with taking a few friends to the panto. DDs , if they had parties at home, kids went home with a balloon and piece of cake. Went to DGs 7th party yesterday, the theme was " Strictly Come Dancing" all the little girls ( no boys! ) came dressed up in their bling party dresses, we had a disco lights ball from Maplins, a borrowed sound / karaoke system, the adults who stayed were roped in as judges and not allowed to stand around with drinks, my DD did face painting, I manned a quiet corner for kids in kitchen to make party hats, games consisted of teaching kids a few steps of the jive or waltz, then letting them all jump about etc. it was terrific fun, didn't cost much, cooked a few frozen pizzas, cake etc. you don't have to spend a mint to have a fun kids party

numberplease Sun 23-Nov-14 20:43:36

We only had parties until they were 11, after that we took the birthday boy/girl out somewhere of their choice, and they took one friend with them. We did things like visiting Belle Vue Zoo, or a local panto, one year my youngest son went fishing with his dad and a mate.

Deedaa Sun 23-Nov-14 20:55:22

GS1 was 8 last month and, as they live in a one bedroom flat, he was allowed to invite 7 friends. His original idea of inviting the whole class was firmly turned down grin One mother stayed because her son has problems and cannot be left and another stayed because she didn't mind being squashed into a corner all afternoon. Definitely couldn't have squeezed anyone else in, but a good time was had by all!