Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you struggling?

(44 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 27-Nov-14 10:31:25

With Christmas on the horizon many difficulties seem to be magnified, so flowers to everybody who's going through tough times. Be it health, money, housing, relationships - or anything else that's problematic - just know that here in the virtual world, and most probably in real life too, there are people who are wishing you well and ready to offer support. smile

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 10:40:20

Good post.

whitewave Thu 27-Nov-14 10:40:39

What a thoughtful post.

Teetime Thu 27-Nov-14 11:21:57

Yes indeed there are a lot of nice people in the world and a lot of people struggling every day. Its good to have Gransnet - there is always someone to share with you and often to make you laugh which as we know is the best medicine.

MiniMouse Thu 27-Nov-14 11:41:08

What a lovely post grannyactivist I often think that GN offers 'sanctuary' for people, who may not necessarily feel that they wish to post on threads, but can take heart from some of the comments and just feel less alone.

Jane10 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:30:08

True dat (am trying to be down with the kids but am not kidding anyone.) Seriously, I personally find Gransnet to be a very kindly therapeutic community and one I`m glad to be in.

Grannyknot Thu 27-Nov-14 12:43:28

I second all of the above flowers and virtual sunshine to all.

bikergran Thu 27-Nov-14 12:51:33

grannyactivist yes have to agree with your post along with many other GNetters....sometimes I think we can be a little embarrassed about sharing our problems, especially money and not just at this time of the year, but all through the year! In fact I have just rung my phone/internet provider to cancel my "anytime call package" which will save me £5 a month, I never really thought I would have to do anything like that, but needs must! I could really do with cancelling the whole package, but that would mean no internet/phone/gransnet! shock so I will try and hang on to it a little longer smile good luck all....

Nonnie Thu 27-Nov-14 13:10:20

I echo that GA, especially for those who don't feel they can share their problems for whatever reason. Sometimes it seems you do everything right and with the best possible motivation but the person you are forced to deal with is just so unpleasant you cannot win them over.

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:11:05

I have perhaps more reasons than most to be grateful to the power of Gransnet, we have some truly exceptional members.

vampirequeen Thu 27-Nov-14 13:50:28

What a lovely post.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 13:53:26

I so wish I was a naturally saintly person.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 13:54:43

Group hugs make me yearn for a finger down throat emoti. I am bad. [sigh]

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 14:14:00

I think you are nicer than you think jingl wink

Grannyknot Thu 27-Nov-14 14:26:53

jingl go away and start a "Are you struggling, well no one cares" thread smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 14:30:49

Well, I wouldn't do that Grannyknot.

sunseeker Thu 27-Nov-14 14:34:51

I think it is one of the strengths of GN that no matter what your problem there is always someone here who understands and may be going through the same thing, great support from those not experiencing it and great advice on how to deal with it. At the very least there is always a listening ear and moral support.

grannyactivist Thu 27-Nov-14 14:46:42

Ah jingl - don't pretend you don't care. smile
I'm sort of hoping this thread will give a bit of encouragement, not just to the regulars, but also to the many who 'lurk' and are bashful about coming on but would benefit from joining in with the GN community. I remember that this time last year there were several people who were going through difficulties and that they found GN to be a bit of a lifeline.

KatyK Thu 27-Nov-14 14:56:31

Well GN has helped me greatly in the past and I hope I can give a bit of support back to anyone who is having a bad time.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 15:02:50

I can remember being barred from Gransnet this time last year. And being in the doghouse over the Strictly thing!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 15:04:12

Sorry! It's not about me. I'll go and do some jobs. smile

vampirequeen Thu 27-Nov-14 15:50:48

You've all supported me wonderfully over these last few weeks and I really appreciate it.

Sometimes I feel so alone in the real world then I come on GN and find I'm amongst friends.

Lona Thu 27-Nov-14 16:09:25

I've struggled a lot this year and had my share of support for which I'm very grateful. It makes me feel a bit fuzzy inside! (Come on jings , get those fingers down!)
Things are looking up for all my family, and I'm quietly looking forward to Christmas for the first time for years.
So thanks to all you lovely Gnetters, and I hope I can help to support others who are struggling.

Nice one Grannya flowers

pompa Thu 27-Nov-14 16:25:58

Likewise, I would not normally think that the support of a forum like GN would help me. How wrong can I be. the support i have had following my hip op has been great and helped a lot.
Come on JBF, you are a softy really smile, you supported me like all the others.

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 16:42:45

Our Christmas last year would have been a very different affair without some very special GN'ers, and that will never be forgotten. Mr P still talks about it with a sense of, "awe" sounds a bit OTT, but it knocked his metaphorical socks off, and you know what a bugger to wash those are!