Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas cards.....aargh!

(24 Posts)
Katek Sun 21-Dec-14 13:08:57

Am fighting with my card display....last house had two sets of double 15 pane glass doors so I used to put a card in each pane and, if necessary, go round the door frame. This house has one solid door into sitting room so if you put cards on the door you can only see them when door is closed. I bought two very nice star card holders from M&S which look very pretty until I put the cards on and now it just looks a jumbled mess. Getting v frustrated! Some of the cards are beautiful and i would like to display them better. Any handy hints??

tanith Sun 21-Dec-14 13:20:55

I have plain green ribbon that I pin my cards to then hang on the wall. Put the nicest ones on the window sill with candles .

Marelli Sun 21-Dec-14 13:23:07

I blu-tak mine to the doors, and they've always stayed put before - maybe the blu-tak's too old now tchhmm.

merlotgran Sun 21-Dec-14 13:42:20

We're lucky having a couple of upright beams in the living room so I staple them to green ribbon and hang them down the beams.

Not had so many this year. I think everyone is cutting back because of the postage costs.

shysal Sun 21-Dec-14 13:51:13

I Blu-tak mine closed then stick to the doors or wall in the shape of Christmas trees, with added cut-out stars for the top. I like symetry, so sometimes have to add a few blank cards to complete the shapes. blush

Lona Sun 21-Dec-14 13:53:04

I have an open staircase with spindles, so my cards are blu-tacked to the spindles and they look lovely.
Immediate family's go on the fireplace.

annodomini Sun 21-Dec-14 13:55:48

Mine are blu (or white) tacked onto the mantelpiece and any other available surface like the dado rail. ever mind symmetry - life's too short! A colourful jumble looks homely.

annodomini Sun 21-Dec-14 13:56:13

That should read 'Never mind'.

Katek Sun 21-Dec-14 20:34:39

I like the ribbon and blue tak.... think I'll buy some nice festive ribbon tomorrow and redo the cards. Anyone want to buy 2 nice M&S card holders?!?

durhamjen Sun 21-Dec-14 20:42:37

I have a high up plate shelf in my dining area. I do not put plates up there ever, but have vases, etc., there normally. At Christmas I use the shelf for cards. i put the new ones on easily reachable surfaces until the family has looked at them, then put them on the plate shelf.
Family cards are on the mantelpiece.
Fancy that, Katek, for a project next year, plate shelf round the room?

Katek Sun 21-Dec-14 21:00:45

I'm thinking about the dusting.....!tchgrin

janerowena Sun 21-Dec-14 22:05:25

I have quite a big kitchen, I blu-tack most of mine to the cupboard sides. They can be seen without getting dusty or in the way.

ninathenana Sun 21-Dec-14 22:20:58

Mine are blue tacked around the frame of the double doors which separate the lounge from the dining room.

Marmight Sun 21-Dec-14 22:40:21

Pegged to ribbons down both sides of the banister.

Iam64 Mon 22-Dec-14 08:55:36

I bought a couple of card hangers from Lakeland - they hang over the door, and the cards do stay put. This is the result of having new plaster in two rooms and not wanting to fall into previous behaviours when I simply pushed drawing pins into everything!

Katek Mon 22-Dec-14 10:09:47

Just off to buy some nice ribbon and blue tak after my Xmas nail appointment. A girl's got to look her best.......,

Gagagran Mon 22-Dec-14 10:24:21

Well I have put mine in a large Christmas-tree shaped tray on the sideboard next to my lovely Christmas cactus (now in full bloom). I can browse through them and re-read the messages at my leisure - and so can DH and DD if they wish.

Teetime Mon 22-Dec-14 13:21:49

Mine are all grouped together on top the of the bow fronted pine cabinet- cant bear to see them all over the house- that's OCD for you!

loopylou Mon 22-Dec-14 17:45:02

If not stuck to glass panes on the 2 doors then I wedge them between the books on the bookcase with just the front showing.

mrshat Mon 22-Dec-14 21:34:49

That's a brilliant idea (the books one) loopylou. Why didn't I ever think of that? tchblush

janerowena Mon 22-Dec-14 21:37:41

I do that, too! It looks less cluttered because the books are all different colours anyway. The brighter ones tend to end up there, the paler ones on the sides of the kitchen cupboards. All sorted into silvers, golds, pale blues... tchgrin (not OCD really, honest!)

aggie Mon 22-Dec-14 23:12:09

My Daughter gave me crocheted "heart strings " , she was selling prints of her pictures at a craft fair and used them to decorate the table , people started buying them as well as the prints , one left I got it and have it strung between the wall lights , it hold a fair few cards between the hearts . In the kitchen I have sparkly string strung across above the fire and cards on it

Katek Tue 23-Dec-14 10:02:02

Cards are now nicely displayed on lengths of tartan ribbon. Look very attractive -finally- and now I'm going away tomorrow for 6 days so won't see them!

Iam64 Tue 23-Dec-14 19:10:23

Update on the Lakeland christmas card holders - they've arrived, and are good. All looks good and best of all, no pin tacks in the new plaster!