Gransnet forums

Chat

Hankies or Tissues.

(83 Posts)
kassi Fri 23-Jan-15 19:15:54

DH insists on using hankies rather than tissues. They are revolting and disgusting. Is this just an 'old man thing' ? I hate washing them!

Marelli Fri 23-Jan-15 19:23:03

My DH uses hankies as well. He always has, so it's not an 'old man thing'! I just bung them in with the towels on a hot wash.

pompa Fri 23-Jan-15 19:23:16

You can't clean grease off with tissues

Teetime Fri 23-Jan-15 19:24:48

Yep my DH likes hankies - I hate them and keep losing them in the wash!

Juliette Fri 23-Jan-15 19:24:53

Same here. He has a few 'old man' quirks though!

tanith Fri 23-Jan-15 19:26:26

YUK!!! Haven't washed a hanky ever in my married life... nasty germ ridden things... sorry but the thought of putting them in with my towels is just horrible..shock

Marelli Fri 23-Jan-15 19:29:47

Well, I suppose I could put them in with his underpants, then, Tanith....then all the germs can be dealt with together - in the hot wash... hmm!

Grannyknot Fri 23-Jan-15 19:40:08

Eeee! [yuk emoticon] - tissues please. I buy husband the man tissues.

loopylou Fri 23-Jan-15 19:41:06

Yuck! Does seem to be an older male thing......! I do remember having very dainty ladies hankies which were pretty much useless, when young. Very ungrateful if got given them as a present too!
Only saving grace I guess is that they don't make everything covered in fluff when washed unlike paper tissues, which I have just discovered in a dark wash [gritted teeth emoticon]

shysal Fri 23-Jan-15 19:49:52

I always have a fresh hankie in my pocket, which I use when out and about, but at home I tend to grab a tissue or some loo roll because they can be disposed of more easily there. I have an old saucepan for boiling them, and they are some of the few items that I iron.

Coolgran65 Fri 23-Jan-15 20:08:19

DH has always had a hankie in his pocket.
I have tissues in the house and a small handi pack in my handbag.

vampirequeen Fri 23-Jan-15 20:08:51

Definitely tissues. I can't bear the thought of hankies. My dad used them and I hated washing them.

hildajenniJ Fri 23-Jan-15 20:13:11

My DH uses tissues. I like my cotton handkerchief, it is much kinder to the nose. My 91yr old Dad has some really horrible hankies. He insists upon white ones which become stained and horrible in no time, my sister hates having to launder them!! Now not a problem for us, we've passed this one on to the care home!

granjura Fri 23-Jan-15 20:33:16

I feel much less 'guilty' about using tissues here, as all refuse is incinirated, instead of landfill. Often use kitchen paper as it is much cheaper- and put folded kitchen paper in handbag when going out.

tanith Fri 23-Jan-15 21:00:27

Marelli that sounds like a perfect plan smile

kittylester Fri 23-Jan-15 21:24:01

How do you dispose of used tissues?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 21:31:55

I wash his hankies and pants separately. Only a 40° wash though, or the elastic goes in the pants. Modern detergents take care of things nicely.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 21:32:48

I mean, I wash them together. Separately from other stuff.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 21:33:50

kittylester you have to bury them in the garden.

thatbags Fri 23-Jan-15 21:36:23

DH and I use hankies. My nose gets sore if I use tissues. Cotton is softer than tissue paper. They are only disgusting if I have a disgusting cold, which, fortunately, I don't have very often. But I do have perennial rhinitis and seem to need to blow my nose a lot.

Hot wash deals with germs. They go in with towels or sheets that also should have a hot wash.

My mother-in-law used to boil the family's hankies in a pan on the cooker if there was a horrid cold going about. It was, and is, a very healthy and long-lived family.

One could always wear rubber gloves. People deal with dog shit all the time. Do you have a dog, kassi.

thatbags Fri 23-Jan-15 21:36:36

Forgot the ?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 21:39:06

I boiled DH's hankies for a while. It was like cooking snot.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 23-Jan-15 21:39:35

Well, that's what it was.

thatbags Fri 23-Jan-15 21:42:09

Perhaps you weren't using enough water, jings.

Grannyknot Fri 23-Jan-15 21:51:04

I throw used tissues in the bin. Sometimes I flush them down the loo ...

I buy Aloe Vera impregnated tissues or with balm, they're very soft.